Reload this Page >

Chemical Engineer fails to find work

Chemical Engineer fails to find work

Old Jul 9th 2013, 2:16 am
Just Joined

lukazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Chemical Engineer fails to find work

Originally Posted by verystormy
The issue with it getting harder to move into the role you want is that as time goes by, people tend to get pigeon holed into the role you are in. You are also then competing against new metalurgy grads. As you are currently a technician, you are in effect competing against new grads. The longer out of uni and not in the role, it is seen by employers as a negative. I am a geologist and have a few friends who are young guys with only a year or two experience but have been laid off. They must keep their hand in the industry at the level of geologist some how, even if it is badly paid short contracts, as if they are out of it for a year, there is not much chance of getting back in.
Yeah i understand that. But what do you actually mean when you say the experience I'm getting now is useful and will help me find a job?

I am 32 and i already can't compete with fresh graduates. Sometimes i thinking the only.way to get a job is if i get promoted within my own company one day, after many years, when they actually need.someone. I think so because i cant compete with graduates and i cant compete with experience metallurgists/process engineers.