Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Can someone sell Perth (and Oz) to me!

Can someone sell Perth (and Oz) to me!

Old Nov 25th 2010, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all
Default Re: Can someone sell Perth (and Oz) to me!

Originally Posted by gobbyjock
B&S Im not arguing with you - what Im trying to say is - make sure next time you move the area ticks all your boxes or you will be no further forward. Baldivis is a very nice area, as is Secret Harbour but the boredom factor may still be there for you.
I will do tick boxes Thanks
Old Nov 25th 2010, 5:59 pm
Forum Regular

robo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura aboutrobo43 has a spectacular aura about

Agree with a lot of what B and S says. And to the OP best not asking people on hear because those with more than a couple of hundred posts clearly spend to much time on here, criticizing others and ought to get out more.I mean people with thousands of posts really must spend a couple of hours every day on here (of course all in the name of helping others)
Old Nov 26th 2010, 2:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robo43
Agree with a lot of what B and S says. And to the OP best not asking people on hear because those with more than a couple of hundred posts clearly spend to much time on here, criticizing others and ought to get out more.I mean people with thousands of posts really must spend a couple of hours every day on here (of course all in the name of helping others)

I reckon about 60 to 90 mins for me.... I dont watch much TV. Computer is always on... and I flit to it everytime I have a cuppa.

One thing B and S does have a right to is an opinion... I in my haste almost forgot that one. I strongly disagree with labelling of any population though. Whether that be local or not. Judging people on appearance is not always a good idea, albeit understandable.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 2:58 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Ive been a member of this site for years so have alot of posts, when my husband works I might come on here of an evening or during the day and like many on here, fit it in accordingly, I can touch type 80wpm so can get a few posts in a short time.

I dont have to justify my posting and when I have stuff on I am not on here, but then again I dont complain I am bored. Cyber friends are important and I reserve the right to communicate with them via this site and it does not mean I do not have a life.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 3:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bruce n sheila
I completely agree , very expensive here to live in a good area .Perth was once the cheaper destination hence so many poms moving here, now it is silly .....I am currently in process of taking elders to court for breaching their agreement , as spa not worked for 8 weeks and took the house on for the facilities .......so sitting tight to hopefully get out .........thats all I need is to feel happier in my enviroment.
I feel your pain, we had an issue with Elders in Rockingham too, I threatened court action... they rolled over... but the whole experience nearly unhingdged me...

HOWEVER... if you had done your homework a bit better you may have avoided all this heartache... Its ok to vent... its an annonymous internet forum so you can say what you want... and cause as much offence as you like...

....apparently...
Old Nov 26th 2010, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by chris and farideh
but if you do say certain words then you are called racist.
I would say that bandying the word Paki round is very racist and offensive on a forum that caters to UK expats, regardless of whether it's acceptable terminology in another country. Anyone who claims that isn't a racist term and is from the UK must have been living down a hole on their own for the last few decades.

Anyway, moving on.....

With regards the comments that Perth is much closer to the UK than from NZ - that's as may be but I think the poster's point was you still are many miles away from anywhere else in Australia. If that is the sort of thing that bothers you then it may not be the place to live.

I do fancy doing the train trip along the cost to get to Perth though from the East coast....one of these days....it looks amazing I reckon you must get some amazing sunsets down that neck of the woods as well?

Last edited by moneypenny20; Nov 26th 2010 at 10:34 am. Reason: sorted quote.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

chris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond reputechris and farideh has a reputation beyond repute

Only offensive in UK not in Australia & as I don't live in UK I don't see why I need to know that.
Being called paki is not a swear word, every morning on the radio that I listen to they make prank calls almost 90% of the time they make the piss out of Indians & their accent not once anybody has called and told the presenters off.
we don't live in UK we live in Australia in fact they make fun of everybody & Every nationality here nobody really cares, I often get called Wog it doesn't bother me one bit because I know they don't mean anything nasty by it.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 1:11 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eddie007
its an annonymous internet forum so you can say what you want... and cause as much offence as you like...
....apparently...
Originally Posted by londonescapee
I would say that bandying the word Paki round is very racist and offensive on a forum that caters to UK expats, regardless of whether it's acceptable terminology in another country. Anyone who claims that isn't a racist term and is from the UK must have been living down a hole on their own for the last few decades.
Only offensive in UK not in Australia & as I don't live in UK I don't see why I need to know that.
Being called paki is not a swear word, every morning on the radio that I listen to they make prank calls almost 90% of the time they make the piss out of Indians & their accent not once anybody has called and told the presenters off.
we don't live in UK we live in Australia in fact they make fun of everybody & Every nationality here nobody really cares, I often get called Wog it doesn't bother me one bit because I know they don't mean anything nasty by it.
Maybe people missed my comment earlier, but I did post a request asking
Please could people remember that BE welcomes posters of ALL nationalities and we encourage tolerance of their different cultures and lifestyles. Lets have a bit more tolerance and acceptance please, and a little less of the offensive and nasty comments.
Posters shouldn't use terms which offend other posters. BE doesn't tolerate it. HOWEVER if the posts containing those terms don't get reported then the Mods have to assume that no-one is actually offended. If anyone is causing offence, please report them, otherwise the Mods may not realise. We all have busy lives and do not read every thread.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

bruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to allbruce n sheila is a name known to all

Originally Posted by eddie007
I feel your pain, we had an issue with Elders in Rockingham too, I threatened court action... they rolled over... but the whole experience nearly unhingdged me...

HOWEVER... if you had done your homework a bit better you may have avoided all this heartache... Its ok to vent... its an annonymous internet forum so you can say what you want... and cause as much offence as you like...

....apparently...
I hear what you say about the homework etc and not getting the heartache , problem was we were in a rental for three weeks temporary , we had three cats in quarintine and tried to get numerous rentals in the North part of perth to no hope we looked at mandurah lakelands got turned down , then we tried port kennedy , we looked at the area seemed ok from a quick glance , had a lake by it , was a 4 bed two bathroom had a pool and a spa , put in for it as accepted pets , which I may add does put alot of owners off . so we were thrilled ...........

...once we moved in things then started to go wrong I had no crystal ball to see that the spa would break and stay broken as elders are truly shit . ........they would be struck off if in england, Not only that their attitude stinks ..............I got told by the manager if she could click her fingers it would be done by now .......the spa that is ........................my reply was if you were professional and had communication skills to talk with the owner and arrange an elecrtician quicker than 8 weeks I might just of thought you were efficient , however you are so unprofessional that if by the 1 dec you have not come up with a reasonable compensation off the rent for loss of facilities , I will be seeing you in the magistrates court ..........

..I have a funny feeling I will see thm there as they are useless.............for what they are charging rent most rentals are $340 a week this is $500 .....alot of properties north were that so we didn't think anything of it until we started looking around seeing they ripped us off ..

..the place is dated , ant infested falling apart , ok it has a pool whooptie doo .................no good when the pump is broken lol ..................sooner I am out of here the better I think they saw us coming ...........oh here is some newby poms lets rip them off ................the bad thing is it is owned by a bloody pom !!! .............................

Last edited by bruce n sheila; Nov 26th 2010 at 3:43 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

I totally agree with you , in Australia they swear on the radio , in the uk so politically correct it is now happy holidays as they do not want to upset the muslims ( fact ) my kids old school sent letters home saying happy holidays and why it has changed , well I say it should be happy xmas and if the muslims do not like it .........tough shit they are in the uk .....when you go to their country you respect their ways cover up take your shoes off when go into a mosque .................perhaps we should go over there to their countries , and make them start wearing boob tubes ....and knickerless panties .....and if they don't lets get offended . none of this is racist it is a fact of what infact is happening around the world........... in Australia they do it their way or it is the high way I take my hat of to Australia .
Old Nov 26th 2010, 5:21 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

BrucenSheila has it right with Perth.

The Demographics of Perth are simple. The Aussies who are all wealthy live in the Western Subs and migrates live in the outskirts. to be be a middleclass family in Perth anything under a 1 Million dollar home is not good enough and as bruce and sheila said all those outer suburbs are the equivilant of counsel estates. Australian property developers are selling a dream and doing a good job of ripping people off who don't realise the areas there buying into.

This might offend people but it's true Australia is the only country along with Canada and New Zealand which allows Trade migration. No it's got nothing to do with your skills its more the fact than many migrates from the UK and Ireland are here doing the jobs that locals simply won't do. Kids here are raised to be Lawyers, Engineers, Doctors, and not Carpenters, Hairdressors etc. The young brits struggle with attractive Aussie girls because many Australian girls won't give them the time of day or so they tell me.

Another thing about Perth. Scotch, Christchurch, Wesley, Iona, MLC, PLC. These are the private schools in Perth all the other so called private schools are just another scam. I wouldn't be showing off If i sent my kids to the so called other private schools in this city lol

If you can handle the fact that the locals will treat you like shit if you decide to live in Rockingham well then come on in.

Last edited by Weebie; Nov 26th 2010 at 5:24 pm.
Old Nov 26th 2010, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

This might offend people but it's true Australia is the only country along with Canada and New Zealand which allows Trade migration. No it's got nothing to do with your skills its more the fact than many migrates from the UK and Ireland are here doing the jobs that locals simply won't do. Kids here are raised to be Lawyers, Engineers, Doctors, and not Carpenters, Hairdressors etc. The young brits struggle with attractive Aussie girls because many Australian girls won't give them the time of day or so they tell me.
Local Aussies won't get into the trades? Well, that's their big future learning curve I guess. During the years of the last boom, my city's technical college was full--programs started having wait lists. Why was that? Well, graduates coming out of uni discovering that after 4 years and $40,000, a lot of them couldn't find decent paying work. My husband had about a half dozen uni graduates on his various worksites before he migrated. There isn't much of a stigma to being a tradie back in parts of Canada when your economy is so heavily resource-driven and the tradies are earning more than the senior government bureaucrats, uni professors, teachers, and computer techs.

As for the girls, well, is that because the guys are British or because of their jobs? Either way, a woman that shallow isn't much of a catch...

The Demographics of Perth are simple. The Aussies who are all wealthy live in the Western Subs and migrates live in the outskirts. to be be a middleclass family in Perth anything under a 1 Million dollar home is not good enough and as bruce and sheila said all those outer suburbs are the equivilant of counsel estates. Australian property developers are selling a dream and doing a good job of ripping people off who don't realise the areas there buying into.
Again, that's a pretty big generalization given the diversity of the suburbs. And what of all the migrants on here who are living in Duncraig or Hillarys? I don't know if I'd consider those to be council suburbs. I know a whole heap of migrants in Atwell too...it's not exactly bottom of the barrel there either.

I have no idea who these people are who keep roaming the city telling others, "Wow, your house is not worth a million, you're not good enough." I've not had anyone come up to us in the time we've been here and comment on our social status or state of our finances. I suppose if I were the type of person for whom status is absolutely everything in my life, then I could sit in my modest 4x2 and tell myself, "You know, my house isn't in Cottesloe...I have no right to be alive...sob sob...I'm just not good enough." But I find that stuff trivial...more important to me is healthy kids and family, roof over our heads, savings in the bank, and lives that we enjoy.

I have met a couple of status-seeking nouveau riche types in my time here who intone that "You have to associate with the right kind of people" mantra. Talking to them is a hoot. The few I met had no uni or further education, had not read extensively, had never travelled, had a real case of Australia myopia, and espoused many of the same opinions found in some of the selected posts in this thread. The most refined thing about them was the designer labels. That's not my ideal that I'd like to emulate.

And people purchasing property should be doing their homework, no matter where the area. Ripping people off by disguising a whole suburb? Hmm...developers may rip people off in other ways, but seriously, are there people who buy in Rockingham who are surprised that it isn't Dalkeith?

Another thing about Perth. Scotch, Christchurch, Wesley, Iona, MLC, PLC. These are the private schools in Perth all the other so called private schools are just another scam. I wouldn't be showing off If i sent my kids to the so called other private schools in this city lol
As for the other "scam" schools, in some areas, they're the only option. My new neighborhood has no public school at this time. Considering 40% of families in WA send their kids private, then I guess that's a lot of people who have fallen for a scam
Old Nov 27th 2010, 12:27 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weebie

I take your point but remember there are lots of properties outside Perth that are valued in themillion/millions bracket mainly because of the location (close to the ocean with extensive views etc) and land size. There are plenty of so called middle calss families Aussie and others who live in these homes/areas. Some live in these areas because of work or they just choose to live out of the city.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 12:35 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Another thing about Perth. Scotch, Christchurch, Wesley, Iona, MLC, PLC. These are the private schools in Perth all the other so called private schools are just another scam. I wouldn't be showing off If i sent my kids to the so called other private schools in this city lol .
It is easy enough to tell if a private school is good, just look at the behaviour of the kids when you vist the school, how they wear their uniforms, how curteous they are and the schools results. That is exactly what I did with my sons private school in England and I was very happy with that school as I am with their school here. The only downside to the private schools here is that they don't have the same class size restriction as they did in the UK, the maximum primary class size at my sons UK private school was 16 students but it was a lot more expensive.
Old Nov 27th 2010, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

In typical Perth fashion, Weebie has classified some schools as the "real" private schools based purely on location in the Western Suburbs. Because, after all, only the "western suburbs" count as "real" suburbs. A great display of Perth snobbery.

Weebie, what about St Hilda's, St Mary's, Hale? There's also Aquinas, Trinity, Mercedes and Perth Colleges and Guildford Grammar. Surely the huge fees for these places put them in the category of "real" private schools? Wouldn't Iona's fees put them in the category of a scam school?

If you look up the My School results for Scotch college, anyone else would classify that as a scam - all those huge fees and very mediocre results?

Last edited by HelenTD; Nov 27th 2010 at 12:50 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.