Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

business class question

business class question

Old Jul 26th 2005, 5:42 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: business class question

Originally Posted by JackTheLad
You are all insane!!!

I've flown to Oz and back twice in Business class (my company paid), yeah great, lots of room, limitless alcohol, slightly less crappy meals.

I've also flown to Oz and back in cattle class (I was paying), alot more cramped, worse food, less alcohol.

But is it really worth 500-1000 quid to save 24 of hours semi-discomfort? My god, what a bunch of wusses!

Come on!! You still get fed and watered and alcoholed in cattle class. You still get your own wee tv with more channels than a terrestrial tv, and lots of old nintendo or sega games to play.

Honestly, if you are prepared to part with an extra 1000 quid just to fly business for 24 hours, you've got more money than sense,

JTL
I have to agree with JTL, as far as my life and whats affordable goes, i couldn't justify paying the extra, when you convert it into $s its a heck of a lot, i'd rather have the new suite or the nice holiday that it would pay for, hell there's 5 of us and that works out to a new car!!

I have flown Business class before with different airlines and to be honest i really don't mind sitting with the sweaty minions in economy, my preference would always be to fly with Singapore Airlines on the day flight from Heathrow.

Maybe its a woman thing, why waste it on a plane ticket when you could spend it shopping, the cheap way gets you there just as quick

Lynn
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:28 am
BE Enthusiast

MartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to beholdMartinH is a splendid one to behold

A small piece of advice for those booking business class flights - be careful where you book.

My employer is flying us business class when we move at the end of August and the cost for the flights when booked from Oz was roughly 20% higher than when booking the EXACT same flight from Europe in fact we rebooked from Europe, cancelled our Australian booking and then re-reserved the same seats.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 9:40 pm
Forum Regular

Storini will become famous soon enoughStorini will become famous soon enough

Regardless of what class you fly, I'd recommend a stopover, in say Singapore. A night's sleep in a proper bed is a great restorative. I found Singapore quite good value and interesting. If you've got a lot of luggage and kids it could be a bit of a headache to organise, but think about it.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between business class (d) and business class (c)?

Jim
Don't know the difference sorry. But if you want to go Business and not pay throught the nose check out EVA Air they are fantastic and do some great deals (check on expedia). We flew with them one way to Oz in Business for 800 quid although you have to go via Bangkok and Taipei (sp?)
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:17 pm
ah-beng

spalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond reputespalen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by willkerr
Don't know the difference sorry. But if you want to go Business and not pay throught the nose check out EVA Air they are fantastic and do some great deals (check on expedia). We flew with them one way to Oz in Business for 800 quid although you have to go via Bangkok and Taipei (sp?)
What were they like ? They were certainly coming out cheap on expedia when we came over in May, but we ended up with Cathay Pacific which was about 400 quid more each ticket than EVA.

Cathay were tremendous the flight from Lon-HK was just pure luxury huge flat bed seats absolutely great. On HK-Brisbane it was loads of room but not the flat bed seats just really big reclining seats. Service was great. Their HK business class lounge just won the #1 slot with Conde-nast WW travellers (which is saying something) they had a restaurant in there where the chefs would make you a meal like noodles/stir-fry etc plus all the usual free drinks/haagend-daas,showers, free internet, etc.

Stopovers we got put off because of having the kids with us and having to decant loads of luggage plus we figured it wont be the only time we do this trip so we can take stopover next time.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

willkerr is an unknown quantity at this point

EVA were great no complaints. Oldish 747 from London to Bangkok to Taipei but on Upper deck and only about 12 seats plus 8 1st Class. Lounge in Bangkok ok but not great. Food was excellent they seemed to just keep feeding you all the time to the point where you want to say no to another meal! Excellent wine list and really attentive. Seats on 747 huge and very comfortable.

Flight from Taipei to Sydney in brand new airbus with full flat seats very nice. No first class on that flight so you get the same they call it Evergreen something or other.

All in all well worth shelling the cash. You get 30kg allowance as well and we exceeded this without anyone saying anything, I also had a laptop bag and big bag on the plane, no one cared, GREAT!