Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

broadband in Australia

broadband in Australia

Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: broadband in Australia

Originally Posted by 77hil
Dodo just announced a $39.99 unlimited plan. Not sure of the ins and outs of that package though.

https://secure.dodo.com.au/wizard/servicecheck.aspx
I thought Dodo were dead.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 1:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm_MKII
I thought Dodo were dead.
No, but they should be!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:08 am
Just Joined

naumenko74 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks a lot guys!!!!!!!!!!!! helped me very much!!!
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:17 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by naumenko74
Sorry =)))) We're going to live in Brisbane =))) and what do you guys think about TPG ?
I've found them to be excellent over the past several years.

we're on a 500gb plan including home phone line rental, paying $60 per month. Download speeds obviously depend on your proximity to the telephone exchange, we get just under 2MB per second real download speeds.

Last edited by asprilla; Sep 14th 2010 at 4:19 am.
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:22 am
Just Joined

naumenko74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by asprilla

we're on a 500gb plan including home phone line rental, paying $60 per month. Download speeds obviously depend on your proximity to the telephone exchange, we get just under 2MB per second real download speeds.
well, it sounds good!!! thinking about getting unlimited plan, but don't know in which part of Brisbane exactly we're going to live!! so have no clue if it will be available out there...=)))))) thanks for your advise !
Old Sep 14th 2010, 4:55 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by naumenko74
well, it sounds good!!! thinking about getting unlimited plan, but don't know in which part of Brisbane exactly we're going to live!! so have no clue if it will be available out there...=)))))) thanks for your advise !
I am in a part of Brisbane area that has few options for ADSL2+, but we have a 8Mb speed plan, which runs at about
This costs me $75.90 per month with a 12Gb download limit.

However, things are changing fast all the time.

I am now about to change to ADSL2+ for $89 pm including 30Gb limit, and all mobile, local and UK, USA and Europe calls included.

Unlimited plans on ADSL2+ have only just begun recently, although they have been available on the 1.5Mb ADSL plans for some time. I was on one in 2004.

A few streets away from me, the results for a 24Mb ADSL2+ plan are:

Old Sep 14th 2010, 5:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Australia has traditionally had few unlimited plans due to the cost of renting space on the transcontinental lines. Brisbane's Pipe Networks recently opened a 3rd sea bed cable so that may ease the pressure a little? There are now a few unlimited plans available but according to one industry leader they are unsustainable and he even suggests other countries may start dropping them as well?

http://www.computerworld.com.au/arti...iinet_iprimus/
Old Sep 24th 2010, 2:52 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla

If anyone else is currently on the above plan.... go to the TPG website and "upgrade".

For the same price $59.99 you get:
- home phone line rental
- proper unlimited ADSL2+ (no shaping, no onpeak/off peak periods)

Old Sep 25th 2010, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

flip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud offlip has much to be proud of

Not sure how much of this applies in Brisbane - do you have cable available in any spots?

I just thought it might be worth finding out because you may be lucky enough to have cable in the area. We're in a dip surrounded by trees so our signal wasn't great but we were very lucky that Optus happened to have a cable box on our street - we feel trapped but actually the service is pretty good.

We've just stayed with them but changed our package from $69 a month for 60g (20 gig between 12 noon and midnight and if we don't exceed that we can use an extra 40 between midnight and noon) to $49 a month for 120 gig (Sorry I can't remember the breakdown of peak usage but I know uploading is limited on this package as well as downloading).

Oh, and they do say "unlimited" but that refers to the snail's pace it slows to once you've exceeded your noon to midnight allowance.
Old Sep 26th 2010, 11:02 pm
Account Open

Originally Posted by flip
Not sure how much of this applies in Brisbane - do you have cable available in any spots?

I just thought it might be worth finding out because you may be lucky enough to have cable in the area. We're in a dip surrounded by trees so our signal wasn't great but we were very lucky that Optus happened to have a cable box on our street - we feel trapped but actually the service is pretty good.

We've just stayed with them but changed our package from $69 a month for 60g (20 gig between 12 noon and midnight and if we don't exceed that we can use an extra 40 between midnight and noon) to $49 a month for 120 gig (Sorry I can't remember the breakdown of peak usage but I know uploading is limited on this package as well as downloading).

Oh, and they do say "unlimited" but that refers to the snail's pace it slows to once you've exceeded your noon to midnight allowance.
Yes, cable is available across Brisbane but I think as a general rule, most people choose adsl whenever they have the choice, as it is cheaper.

I'm pretty sure that most exchanges within 20 to 25km of Brisbane are ADSL2+ enabled. You can enter your postcode on a site like whirlpool, to work out how far you are from your nearest exchange. As a rough guide, if you're within 2km you can expect anywhere from 800KB per sec, up to 2.4MB per sec. 2km to 4km is where it gets a bit more hit and miss....and 4km+, the benefits of ADSL2+ are sometimes a bit marginal.

As for "unlimited", yes you can usually expect some form of shaping. However TPGs latest package is unlimited, with no shaping.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 1:31 am
Just Joined

897nicole is an unknown quantity at this point

Best plan is to look online, do a google search in Australia. Broadband tariffs are changing on a daily basis and now with have the NBN coming things are hotting up. When considering download speeds it really does depend on how far you are away from the exchange. If you know your new postcode that will help you get an estimate.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:01 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by flip

We've got Optus Cable. It was good a couple of years ago with consistent >10 Mbps speeds for download, but now it is very very variable and patchy - lots of packet loss etc, skype calls getting disconnected very frequently. I'm going back to ADSL2+ as my contract with Optus has just run out.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

I've got ADSL2+ unlimited with TPG for $70 a month. I get speeds of about 1.5 Megabytes per second (Sydney).

iinet have a 1 terabyte plan for $100.

I never go over 60gig so you would have to hammer it 24/7 to reach a terabyte
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by markbhx
I've got ADSL2+ unlimited with TPG for $70 a month. I get speeds of about 1.5 Megabytes per second (Sydney).
And I thought Dodo was slow at 8.6Mps

Personally I am not even on ADSL2+ yet, and I get 6.43Mbs.

Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:46 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
And I thought Dodo was slow at 8.6Mps

Personally I am not even on ADSL2+ yet, and I get 6.43Mbs.
Yes that is very slow at 6.43Mbs thats about 800 kilobytes per second, about half my speed. Obviously you knew the difference between megabits and megabytes??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.