British Exodus

Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:12 am
Badge

Default Re: British Exodus

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Whaddya want its all here, mulls the go tho, grows like a weed half the populations supposed to be on it.

Funny story tho, last time down in vic visiting the rellies, airport bus to catch famous jetstar flight (dont be late we close checkin and dont let you on). 2 minutes into the bus were surrounded by lights sirens action, several police vans cars swoop like some movie shoot and a drug raid starts on some game arcade, bus is stuck in middle of it not going anywhere, lebbo bus driver cracks us up telling everyone its the asians, chinese guy who sounds just like steve irwin joins in bagging the asians, meanwhile wife and I notice not one asian is being arrested

Try telling Jetstar your late because youve been caught in a ethnic drug raid
how about I was late *back* from the airport because the car park ticket system went down and I had to locate customer service ...very annoying..

BM

Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:13 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Is Australia that little island in the southern hemisphere we see on tv every week ?
Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:13 am
Just Joined

shell1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello

Lets get this thred back to where it started.........

Would love to offer any help in your article, we are due to go to Brisbane in 6 weeks

Shell1
Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:16 am
Badge

I remember crossing the 'magic roundabout' (in Swindon) there in the small hours on the way to Cirencester/Stroud....now I think about it....where we live in the Melbourne SE suburbs looks very much like Glouscestershire...

when are you coming down to visit Pollyanna?

BM

Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:21 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Badge
I remember crossing the 'magic roundabout' (in Swindon) there in the small hours on the way to Cirencester/Stroud....now I think about it....where we live in the Melbourne SE suburbs looks very much like Glouscestershire...

when are you coming down to visit Pollyanna?

BM
Possibly March - F1 time again!! Can't see us making it before that cos we have the Gold Coast Indy next month which'll use up my holiday......!!

The Magic Roundabout - now that was fun! Anyone who learnt to drive in Swindon went there on the first lesson! To the poor souls that haven't been there - its one mini-roundabout with 7 little ones round the outside....... :scared:
Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:26 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Possibly March - F1 time again!! Can't see us making it before that cos we have the Gold Coast Indy next month which'll use up my holiday......!!

The Magic Roundabout - now that was fun! Anyone who learnt to drive in Swindon went there on the first lesson! To the poor souls that haven't been there - its one mini-roundabout with 7 little ones round the outside....... :scared:
Cor Zebedee would have had a field day
Old Sep 20th 2004, 10:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Having bad image of Queenlanders trying to deal with this concept
Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:06 am
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Polly,
I don't think you would want to be living in Swindon now.....there are some very nice villages around it if you can afford to live there....which brings me to our reasons for going....Oliver, I hope you find them helpful.

We rent a house in a lovely sleepy village (complete with a few pubs, village green, village hall etc.). We've loved living here and have some wonderful friends but just cannot afford to buy a house here and can't justify lining someone elses pockets with rent forever.

We had to think that if we couldn't stay in the village then where would we like to move to? We thought about Devon/Cornwall as house prices are much cheaper there but decided to move abroad for various reasons. Taxes seem to be increasing here with little improvement to show for it and by all accounts this is going to get worse. The weather seems to be getting wetter and we seem to be spending more and more time indoors. Plus, and a major reason, we had to consider whether we would want to spend our retirement here, in a place that's cold, wet and has huge waiting lists for just a Drs appointment (it usually takes me about 2 weeks to get an appointment with my Dr at my local surgery). I had to wait several years for exploratory knee surgery.

We did consider Canada (my husband is Canadian) and that was always a backup option if Australia said no, but again there was the cold to consider in retirement.

I know that Australia isn't perfect, nowhere is, but we will be able to go there and buy a house outright with no mortgage (something we would never be able to do here, and I'm not exagerating...I've checked out real estate sites and we have friends living in Oz). We are both looking forward to seeing the sun a bit more and being able to spend more time outdoors.

I know that nowhere in the world is safe anymore and that there are robbers, terrorists and paedophiles everywhere, but given that they are everywhere what is the point in staying here and not moving elsewhere.

Someone said that they didn't like the quiet, family oriented life, but that is exactly what we are looking forward to.

Australia isn't for everyone, but neither is the UK or anywhere else. It's good that we're all different and we all like different things. We should consider ourselves fortunate that we can make the decision of which country to live in based upon such trivial matters as living mortgage free or having more sunshine when so many people in the world have no choice about where they live and are terrified for their lives on a daily basis (this isn't meant to be a dig at anyone...just my opinion).
Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:15 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I must confess to sitting down and composing a short, pithy email to the gentleman from the Times, explaining concisely and in measured tones just why we are getting the hell out of the UK. The headings I chose were Politics, Social effects, Economics and Climate. I was going to add as the first, the EU.

It was only after the first three pages that I realised I was well into a rant to put the first page of this thread to shame!

So let it be known that my main reasons are:

The EU,Politics, Social effects, Economics and Climate.

So there!
Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Salli is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rog Williams
I must confess to sitting down and composing a short, pithy email to the gentleman from the Times, explaining concisely and in measured tones just why we are getting the hell out of the UK. The headings I chose were Politics, Social effects, Economics and Climate. I was going to add as the first, the EU.

It was only after the first three pages that I realised I was well into a rant to put the first page of this thread to shame!

So let it be known that my main reasons are:

The EU,Politics, Social effects, Economics and Climate.

So there!
Rog, that's very true....noone can argue that at least Australia doesn't have the Europe issue! Totally agree with you
Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:31 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: press request

Originally Posted by Badge
Who said you pedantly correcting grammar was you also being dogmatic. Same sentence, perhaps different clauses?

But agreed - the pedantry you invented and have made your style....???!!!

my laws; it's called taking the piss mate. Also, if anything, my 'laws' are based on common sense and years of experience and as you know my experiences are not confined to a uni or an office so I feel I am qualified to say this. The number of times I tell clients things and they're like "we never thought of that" or, colleagues say "that's a point.."

You can't win mate, I'm too strong for you - and you know it. Let me see the well rounded article now...show me you're a person...

Correcting grammar isn't dogmatic - think about it. As for me being humiliated? You wish! My furry, striped friend. Gosh, Badge, you think you're the only one that has years of experience. Get real!

Let me know when you want to take a swing at me, and I'll leave my big office. Oh, and please don't forget to stand on a chair...

Last edited by MikeStanton; Sep 20th 2004 at 11:34 am.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:36 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
I wouldn't go near an article like this.How does that make me a snob?

I like the UK.

If you think Australia is a bed of roses you are in for some surprises.

Get real. There are similar problems everywhere. If you don't like paying tax perhaps you should have a look at this:

www.ato.gov.au

Good bedtime reading for you

G
Oliver,
I know it may not come across fully from his posts on here but you really should try to persuade grayling to contribute to your article.

After all someone (normally a very articulate someone You can karma me later G) who is leaving the UK even though they really like it will give a good side twist to your article.

Plus also Odaat would be a good choice too.

Just my opinion.

I dont qualify cos I'm australian, although if you want a semi outsiders view, after living in the UK for many years I can understand why so many want to leave.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

simbacat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Salli
Hi Polly,
I don't think you would want to be living in Swindon now.....there are some very nice villages around it if you can afford to live there....which brings me to our reasons for going....Oliver, I hope you find them helpful.
I can't agree I live in North Swindon and I am absolutely loving it. There are undesirable places in every city or town in the world. My part of Swindon is lovely. But I do agree with the medical care my husband is nearly waiting a year to have his tonsells out and the same time I am waiting to see the occupational Therapist for my child. Our reason for going is wanting an adventure. No more no less.
Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:37 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
It's enough to make me want to live in a Perth housing estate......almost.
Dont forget to bring your pole Mike
Old Sep 20th 2004, 11:39 am
Badge

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Correcting grammar isn't dogmatic - think about it. As for me being humiliated? You wish! My furry, striped friend.

Let me know when you want to take a swing at me, and I'll leave my big office. Oh, and please don't forget to stand on a chair...
Not good enough. G'Night...see ya old boy..

BM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.