Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bloody Hell $7.50 for a pot of beer

Bloody Hell $7.50 for a pot of beer

Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all
Default Re: Bloody Hell $7.50 for a pot of beer

Originally Posted by Hino
Bloody ridiculous !~

Recently I had to go to Sydney to meet an old mate and we decided to have a beer in a 'flash' joint in George St.

I ordered a schooner of VB and could hardly belive the price..... $4 That's less that's they charge at our local 'bloodhouse' of a pub in the township where I live.

I can't remember the name of the joint, but it's accross the street from an awful faux Irish joint and Harry's cafe de Wheels.

I reckon that a $4 schooner of full strength beer in Sydney would be hard to beat.

When I was there in 2005 we used to get jugs (2 pints) of VB on a monday night for $5 at the great eastern hotel in george st.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 4:20 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Bloody ridiculous !~

Recently I had to go to Sydney to meet an old mate and we decided to have a beer in a 'flash' joint in George St.

I ordered a schooner of VB and could hardly belive the price..... $4 That's less that's they charge at our local 'bloodhouse' of a pub in the township where I live.

I can't remember the name of the joint, but it's accross the street from an awful faux Irish joint and Harry's cafe de Wheels.

I reckon that a $4 schooner of full strength beer in Sydney would be hard to beat.
Only downside being that VB is probably the worst pint I have ever had the misfortune to taste.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Only downside being that VB is probably the worst pint I have ever had the misfortune to taste.
Horses for courses.

I realise that VB tends to polarise Aussie beer drinkers, but I love the stuff. I like a beer with a bit of 'bite', a bit of palet cleansing bitterness.

A lot of the beers on the market these days seem to be absolutely tasteless. Little more than cold, carbonated, sources of alcohol, probably aimed at the 'entry level' beer drinker, or sheila's who think it's cool to drink beer, but don't like the taste of the real thing.

If you don't like VB, what is your beer of choice ?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 5:42 am
Account Closed

Horses for courses.

I realise that VB tends to polarise Aussie beer drinkers, but I love the stuff. I like a beer with a bit of 'bite', a bit of palet cleansing bitterness.

A lot of the beers on the market these days seem to be absolutely tasteless. Little more than cold, carbonated, sources of alcohol, probably aimed at the 'entry level' beer drinker, or sheila's who think it's cool to drink beer, but don't like the taste of the real thing.

If you don't like VB, what is your beer of choice ?
Of the readily available stuff, I'm more of a Hahn Super Dry man and even partial to a Carlton... but as I used to be a bitter drinker in the UK they are all just a bit 'cold and fizzy' to be my ideal beers.... but practise makes perfect.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 6:56 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, you've not tried xxxx Gold then! I quite like an ice cold VB on a hot day. I'm a wine drinker and don't really have a beer palette. That said, I do enjoy the Coopers.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:02 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kporte
Ah, you've not tried xxxx Gold then! I quite like an ice cold VB on a hot day. I'm a wine drinker and don't really have a beer palette. That said, I do enjoy the Coopers.
Very first beer I had on Australian soil was a bottle of XXXX Gold.

It was bought for me by a young pommie builder in the bar of the airport hotel I stayed in on my first night here. He had been working in the sun all week and was scarlet and covered in mozzie bites. He was flying back to the UK the following morning.... and in his own words "its worth every penny of the two grand airfare to get a decent ****ing beer"
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:03 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm with creature. VB is the Carling of Australian beers.

Always tastes a bit stale to me. Cheap as chips though.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:07 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Very first beer I had on Australian soil was a bottle of XXXX Gold.

It was bought for me by a young pommie builder in the bar of the airport hotel I stayed in on my first night here. He had been working in the sun all week and was scarlet and covered in mozzie bites. He was flying back to the UK the following morning.... and in his own words "its worth every penny of the two grand airfare to get a decent ****ing beer"
There are decent beers here but you rarely see them in the pub and they are expensive. Mind you, so is shite beer! Glad I drink wine, it's exceptional and reasonably priced here.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:10 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I'm with creature. VB is the Carling of Australian beers.

Always tastes a bit stale to me. Cheap as chips though.
Stale is a good word for it... only drank it a few times and each time that was my general impression as well.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:11 am
Account Closed

There are decent beers here but you rarely see them in the pub and they are expensive. Mind you, so is shite beer! Glad I drink wine, it's exceptional and reasonably priced here.
Never really happy drinking wine, they always taste a bit thin to me.... now port is another matter.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

The price of Chateau Car d'Board might be going up though!

Price of popular cask wine may triple under tax change proposals

THE price of popular wine casks will rocket from $12 to more than $37 if Treasury recommendations on alcohol taxation are realised in the budget.

...and I'm actually quite partial to a Gold!
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:13 am
Account Closed

I agree with this too.

Maybe I should go and have a beer (Squires IPA) to get rid of my agreeable mood?
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:14 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by bcworld
...and I'm actually quite partial to a Gold!
each to their own I suppose.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:15 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I agree with this too.

Maybe I should go and have a beer (Squires IPA) to get rid of my agreeable mood?
I think all of the Squires beers are, for bottled beers especially, excellent.
Old Mar 23rd 2010, 7:38 am
Account Closed

I think all of the Squires beers are, for bottled beers especially, excellent.
Me too. I've become partial to Crackenback (Snowy Mountains Brewery) of late. Especially as it's seems to be on special.

I assumed it was called Crackenback for a giggle but it appears to be named after the town in NSW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.