Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

View Poll Results: Who do you reckon are the biggest moaners?
The Whinging Poms!
55.68%
The Bludging Aussies!
44.32%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Biggest Miseries - Australian's or Brit's???

Aussies moan heaps buts its in a different way brit media is totally different from oz media.

The brits take every incident and turn it into the entire country is out there drunk, pillaging and vomiting all over the country.

Oz media will take one person winning an oscar and the headline will be AUSSIES take HOLLYWOOD by storm AGAIN for the next 3 weeks.

If you ignore the media and just look at people I reckon the biggest things aussies moan about are weather and money and health. Many seem to struggle to get by, trying to save 50 cents being a major issue and economising in a disturbing ways, dangerous home car repairs vehicles that should have been scrapped years ago, totally bald tyres, kids eating junk pizzas/hotdogs etc because they are cheap.

Weather, well in Melboure it was always about the cold wet changable weather, until februray when we usually roasted, up here its how the weathers changed, how its much hotter these days, or drought or did we get rain.

People seem very unhealthy, always moaning about presciption costs, hospital wait times, not enough hospital beds, having to travel for hospital care. BUT, so many are fat, smoking, eating shocking diets its not wonder they are always sick, they need to take a bit of self responsibility IMO.

Poms just seem brainwashed into moaning from the daily mail, 99% of the time people in the UK whinge you ask if they have actually been affected by what they are moaning about and they will say no!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 12:49 am
Absinthe Minded

Del Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to beholdDel Boy is a splendid one to behold

Poms just seem brainwashed into moaning from the daily mail, 99% of the time people in the UK whinge you ask if they have actually been affected by what they are moaning about and they will say no![/QUOTE]

Completely agree. Brits seriously enjoy a good moan, as you say , usually about things which have not affected them directly, but which they informed are becoming commonplace, by the media. Its a national pastime and shouldn't be taken too seriously.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

I actually love the UK, and I also like Oz. I work with over 15 Aussies & Kiwi's here in London....I'm surrounded by them in fact, I'm married to one (an Australian that is!) and as is my sister. I personally think that that the pessimism is down to the individual not the country .
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozger
Yes, Brits are definitely more pessimistic, which goes hand in hand with misery. The three weeks we've been in the UK in the past 5 years were so depressing.

The "you can do anything you want to if you set your mind to it" attitude they teach to kids here and the US is part of the problem. In the UK, it's a "can't do" mentality.

Career guidance here:
"What do you want to be when you grow up little Jimmy?"
"I want to be an astronaut!"
"Excellent, go fot it!"

UK:
"Come on, you're British, be realistic...how about we put you down as 'work in a shoe shop'?"
Such an out-of-date cliche. What's the word I'm looking for? Oh, yeah - bolloc*s! Excellent example, which is why there have been more British than Oz astronauts

Americans generally have a can-do attitude. Brits are far more self-critical, but that's gradually changing. Australians generally have a "Yeah we're the best, but we don't really believe that unless it's sports...and as long as we can blame someone else when things go tits-up then that's alright".

Indeed, Aussies talk big, but deliver little.

It is heartwarming to see the Oz education system in action, where every little bit of mediocrity is encouraged. "And Johnny's awarded a certificate for finding his way on to the school stage"

But, guess what? If you encourage and advertise mediocre behaviour, products or services, they're still mediocre.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Feb 4th 2005 at 7:44 am.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 7:58 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Aussies moan heaps buts its in a different way brit media is totally different from oz media.

The brits take every incident and turn it into the entire country is out there drunk, pillaging and vomiting all over the country.

Oz media will take one person winning an oscar and the headline will be AUSSIES take HOLLYWOOD by storm AGAIN for the next 3 weeks.

If you ignore the media and just look at people I reckon the biggest things aussies moan about are weather and money and health. Many seem to struggle to get by, trying to save 50 cents being a major issue and economising in a disturbing ways, dangerous home car repairs vehicles that should have been scrapped years ago, totally bald tyres, kids eating junk pizzas/hotdogs etc because they are cheap.

Weather, well in Melboure it was always about the cold wet changable weather, until februray when we usually roasted, up here its how the weathers changed, how its much hotter these days, or drought or did we get rain...
That's a fair assessment.

I could be guessing here, but I think a lot of people on this forum read the Daily Mail and their "country's gone to the dogs, asylum seekers as far as the eye can see, crime-ridden primary schools, what happened to the good ol-days,blah, blah" ilk.

Or is it a hot-bed of Independent and Guardian subscribers?...

No, I thought not...
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

JerrySpringer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Merlot
OK not sure if I am getting the rose tinted specs on looking back to Australia but I am finding after 10 months back all those comments about the Brit's being a bunch of old whingers is just ringing true (present company excluded).

Being a BIG people watcher (Pollyanna's fav past time too ), the Brit's are eclipsing anything I have seen in Australia and at times I thought things like customer service were bad there.

There seems to be a huge push on trying to get anything for nothing, complaining when there is nothing to really moan about, ignoring customers, the list goes on. Even office bitching over here takes on new bounds.

What do those who have tasted both sides think? I have really lost faith in the great British public!

M
Perhaps if you were all more positive about your fellow countrymen, the air of pessimism would lift slightly? Why is it OK for you to heap criticism on your compatriots yet it's not OK for them to criticise or complain when they feel it necessary? Ironic? Maybe. No doubt this thread will be justified as being a perception rather than a criticism.

Praise for Aussie compatriotism abounds on this forum. Can you not do the same for your fellow-countrymen? Constant negativity is defeating - yet many of us seem entrapped by it. Perhaps you're part of the 'Great British Public' more than you realise.

No offence intended.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:05 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Such an out-of-date cliche. What's the word I'm looking for? Oh, yeah - bolloc*s! Excellent example, which is why there have been more British than Oz astronauts :rolleyes.
You say" there have been more British then Aussie Astronauts" That really
delivers a crushing blow to my national pride. You don't think it might be because Britain has 3 times the population of OZ. There have been three
Aussie Astronauts:
Andy Thomas
Paul Desmond Scully Power
Dr Philip Kenyan Chapman

Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by wombat42
You say" there have been more British then Aussie Astronauts" That really
delivers a crushing blow to my national pride. You don't think it might be because Britain has 3 times the population of OZ. There have been three
Aussie Astronauts
As usual you miss the simplest of points. 'Twas not the number, but the fact there are also British astronauts. There was also a deeper message, which is obviously beyond you.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:18 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by JerrySpringer
Perhaps if you were all more positive about your fellow countrymen, the air of pessimism would lift slightly? Why is it OK for you to heap criticism on your compatriots yet it's not OK for them to criticise or complain when they feel it necessary? Ironic? Maybe. No doubt this thread will be justified as being a perception rather than a criticism.

Praise for Aussie compatriotism abounds on this forum. Can you not do the same for your fellow-countrymen? Constant negativity is defeating - yet many of us seem entrapped by it. Perhaps you're part of the 'Great British Public' more than you realise.

No offence intended.
No offence taken.

I haven't had chance to read all the posts properly as I am dashing out the door.

I lived in the UK for 21 year so my life (born and raised here), 8 years in Australia with lots of other countries mixed in.

I have been back 10 months and I feel worn down. I am one of lifes more positive people, it has been noted by work mates, friends and strangers.

I came back very positive about my country and countrymen, please feel free to see other threads but the "down" I feel is being given out by those around me I feel I need to comment on. I did get whingers around me in Australia, but not as much.

So how do you feel about the UK? I imagine you have lived here all your life? How do you keep so bouyant? I have tried very hard but just feeling fed up now.

Your further comments are appreciated.

Merlot

Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:23 am
Cotswolds to Perth

Fremantleraider will become famous soon enough

I am sick and tired of people saying that the British moan all the time! Why cant people give the brits a rest eh? I mean i now live in Melbourne where it rains a lot and it gets bloody cold (13 degs the other day) Oh yeah and that bloody major storm we had the other day too when the city was flooded and the Yarra river burst its bank and all the trams got stuck which made me late for work so as i walked in the rain i got soaked and cold but you dont hear me meaoning about it!

Umm oh crap i'm moaning

I am at work and bored (cant you tell!)

FremantleRaider
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:31 am
Not two zombies

Mongrol will become famous soon enough

Can we have a 3rd option that says "Humans in general" ?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:38 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Ooooh.... Stanton and Wombat have shown up. It was only a matter of time. Got a little ditty for you two:

Send in the trolls (with apologies to Stephen Sondheim - a fine Brit, no wait, an aussie, oh f**k it - he was a yank, wasn't he)

Isn't it rich?
Are we a pair?
Me here at last on the ground,
You in mid-air.
Send in the trolls.

Isn't it bliss?
Don't you approve?
One who keeps tearing around,
One who can't move.
Where are the trolls?
Send in the trolls.

Don't you love farce?
My fault, I fear.
I thought that you'd want what I want -
Sorry, my dear.
But where are the trolls?
There ought to be trolls.
Quick, send in the trolls.

Isn't it rich?
Isn't it queer?
Losing my timing this late
In my career?
And where are the trolls?
Quick, send in the trolls.
Don't bother - they're here.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

desperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to alldesperate2go is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ozger
Yes, Brits are definitely more pessimistic, which goes hand in hand with misery. The three weeks we've been in the UK in the past 5 years were so depressing.

The "you can do anything you want to if you set your mind to it" attitude they teach to kids here and the US is part of the problem. In the UK, it's a "can't do" mentality.

Career guidance here:
"Excellent, go fot it!"

UK:
"Come on, you're British, be realistic...how about we put you down as 'work in a shoe shop'?"

THIS IS SO TRUE
When I went to career guidance at school (one 15 minute session in my whole school life) I explained that I would like to be a journalist. English was my best subject and I was taking 8 o levels, so it was not beyond the realms of possibility. But the 'advice' I was given consisted of " that is a very competitive area with too many applicants and not enough jobs- how about working in a bank"

Advice i have regretted taking to this day!!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 8:57 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

No offence taken.

I haven't had chance to read all the posts properly as I am dashing out the door.

I lived in the UK for 21 year so my life (born and raised here), 8 years in Australia with lots of other countries mixed in.

I have been back 10 months and I feel worn down. I am one of lifes more positive people, it has been noted by work mates, friends and strangers.

I came back very positive about my country and countrymen, please feel free to see other threads but the "down" I feel is being given out by those around me I feel I need to comment on. I did get whingers around me in Australia, but not as much.

So how do you feel about the UK? I imagine you have lived here all your life? How do you keep so bouyant? I have tried very hard but just feeling fed up now.

Your further comments are appreciated.

Merlot
Nothing like surveying the kingdom from atop a hill after a longish walk to raise the spirits. And the more wind swept and ragged the weather the better.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

JerrySpringer is an unknown quantity at this point

I imagine you have lived here all your life?

Merlot
Not quite! I have lived out of the UK (Europe/Oz) for the last 10 years.

On this board there often seems to be a lack of compatriotism, which manifests itself as British people putting other British people down. You have to ask yourself where the fault lies.

I'm not highlighting you specifically Merlot. I can appreciate what it is like to live amongst constant negativity - I have been in similar work environments (Australia included). An unhappy workforce, always perceived to be under-achieving, never a word of praise or encouragement, constant fault-finding. Negativity breeds negativity. Yes, the management could have done better, but it wasn't just poor management. A bit of team-building went a long way to ensuring colleagues appreciated and supported fellow colleagues - instant morale booster. The same can apply in 'real life'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.