Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

Old Jan 10th 2014, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

australianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud ofaustralianinleicester has much to be proud of
Default Re: BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

Originally Posted by TheCreature
This is a public forum. Not every post is going to be complimentary and frankly, if they were, it would be as dull as dishwater.

There seems to be an expectation from some posters, that the regulars on here, should just sit around all day and be instantly ready to jump in and offer only encouragement, tell every newbie that Australia is the land of milk and honey, that you can halve yours working hours while doubling your income at the same time.

The site isn't like that, nor should it be. If people think your ideas about migration are dumb, then somebody is going to tell you exactly that... and not always politely.

Now you are just making stuff up, nobody has said they expect to double their wages for half their hours.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by australianinleicester
Now you are just making stuff up, nobody has said they expect to double their wages for half their hours.
In this thread, maybe not, but you're going to have to take my word for the fact, that the expectations of some of the posters we see, are so far detached from the reality that its a little sad.
Before the recent recovery in the pound vs Aus dollar exchange rates, people really could sit in the UK and look at the wages on offer here and truly believe that they would get a HUGE jump in income.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 10:32 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I've watched all the shows in this series so far, now. I'm a bit confused by comments that someone is in a job here (Aus) that brings in $60k, then they are told that's the equivalent of a job earning £40k in the Uk at present. Now if I thought I could go home and land a job earning £40k I'd be on the plane.........but I know I'd be going back to a job on around £20k. So where are they getting these figures from?
The other comment I remember was the teached=r who asked if his qualifications would transfer. They just said straight off that he would be qualified. They didn't ask about the 3 or 4 year degree thing, for starters, which I know is important for teachers.

On the other hand the nurse has asked about jobs and been told they are not actively recruiting overseas - which is true - but she could still get an independent visa, she doesn't need sponsorship and a job.

Those are some of the reasons why i feel these programmes are unrealistic - they give people part of the story. Maybe if a registered migration agent worked with the shows....?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 11:00 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I've watched all the shows in this series so far, now. I'm a bit confused by comments that someone is in a job here (Aus) that brings in $60k, then they are told that's the equivalent of a job earning £40k in the Uk at present. Now if I thought I could go home and land a job earning £40k I'd be on the plane.........but I know I'd be going back to a job on around £20k. So where are they getting these figures from?
The other comment I remember was the teached=r who asked if his qualifications would transfer. They just said straight off that he would be qualified. They didn't ask about the 3 or 4 year degree thing, for starters, which I know is important for teachers.

On the other hand the nurse has asked about jobs and been told they are not actively recruiting overseas - which is true - but she could still get an independent visa, she doesn't need sponsorship and a job.

Those are some of the reasons why i feel these programmes are unrealistic - they give people part of the story. Maybe if a registered migration agent worked with the shows....?
What they are saying is that $60k is equivalent to £40k because of the exchange rate, then the would be migrant says wow that is x£'s more than I earn now. With the change in the rate in the last few months it now equates to about $33k even though nothing has actually changed in either country.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
We watched an episode this morning but dont know what series it was. A couple with 2 kids wanting to move to Adelaide. It was very typical, they wanted a better life for their kids and to somehow have more family time. He was a teacher and they sent him to an expensive private school where they told him he would earn £20,000 a year more than the UK, because of the exchange rate. They were told they could go down to the beach every day and would magically be able to spend more time with their kids. They all voted for Australia but my wife read the follow up and they didnt make the move. I think many people sit back and look at the facts and figures in the cold light of day and realise the dream is just that, a dream and not reality.
Where? Yesterday they made some comment on the show (or maybe the intro or afterwards) about look on the BBC website to see whether they did move. All I can see is clips/iPlayer links, nothing about what happened to people in the current series (and judging by what you say about the people you watched this was the first one of the new series).
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:26 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
Where? Yesterday they made some comment on the show (or maybe the intro or afterwards) about look on the BBC website to see whether they did move. All I can see is clips/iPlayer links, nothing about what happened to people in the current series (and judging by what you say about the people you watched this was the first one of the new series).
Here you go, this is the last show but you can search for the earlier ones as well.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03pqxvd
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:29 pm
Banned

Here is the first episode.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03pqxgs

Glad I found them, I was beginning to think they werent real and I was making it up
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

But how did you find out what happened after they came back to the UK (and either stayed, went or are still in limbo)?
Old Jan 10th 2014, 1:39 pm
Banned

If you look on those links they give an update for each episode. Scroll down a little and it is under the CLIPS.
Old Jan 10th 2014, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

mattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not sure what you mean by blog, BE is an open forum and anyone can express their opinions.
We are all aware as long term posters that people who have done the show do post on here, and their opinions are of course welcome too

Having been on BE since the days when people on these programmes were told they could sell their 3 bed semis and emigrate to a 7 bed 25 bathroom mansion and then seen them arrive 2 years later after prices had risen and property become astronomical, I can understand why established migrants run down these shows. In the main they are unrealistic, and often out of date before they hit the air. Some people like yourselves have a success story to tell, which is great, but if you'd been posting on here for longer and seen the number of people who go home because their expectations were unrealistic, you would understand better where we are coming from. Especially as many of those unrealistic expectations have their.roots in shows like this.
Pollyana - understood. I was just aiming to offer an insight to how the programme and its mechanics work. We were being lined up for a revisited so I just had a look at the forums by chance. The one thing that does gripe me is the unfair and sometimes very rude postings on the show regards to participants. Can take opinion, but when that borders into unpleasant individual ranting - you know what I am saying - then I think that deserves some bite back so to speak. This is what I mean by the editing thing - it can make you look a little dumb/idiotic/selfish/unrealistic etc etc. Hope I did not offend anyone and I accept what people say - as they should accept similar. Regards - Kerry

Anyway
Old Jan 10th 2014, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mattbenecci
Pollyana - understood. I was just aiming to offer an insight to how the programme and its mechanics work. We were being lined up for a revisited so I just had a look at the forums by chance. The one thing that does gripe me is the unfair and sometimes very rude postings on the show regards to participants. Can take opinion, but when that borders into unpleasant individual ranting - you know what I am saying - then I think that deserves some bite back so to speak. This is what I mean by the editing thing - it can make you look a little dumb/idiotic/selfish/unrealistic etc etc. Hope I did not offend anyone and I accept what people say - as they should accept similar. Regards - Kerry

Anyway
Editing is done specifically to get what the producers want out of the show- and they do like to make people/locations seem extreme, because it sells their program. A show showing how normal and mundane many things are about Australia just wouldn't cut it, nor would there be any dramatic tension if people were shown as average, or their families gave them full backing.

To sum up, you have to take these programmes with a pinch of salt and not be offended (sorry) if people then take the Micky.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 10:13 am
Forum Regular

mattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to allmattbenecci is a name known to all

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Editing is done specifically to get what the producers want out of the show- and they do like to make people/locations seem extreme, because it sells their program. A show showing how normal and mundane many things are about Australia just wouldn't cut it, nor would there be any dramatic tension if people were shown as average, or their families gave them full backing.

To sum up, you have to take these programmes with a pinch of salt and not be offended (sorry) if people then take the Micky.
Agreed - but my point is that people go to far. Not so much on this forum, but on others ie bunch of f.....g muppets, low life etc just a couple seen recently. All up for opinions and banter, but not when it stretches that far. Surely you can see my point on this.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 11:40 am
Banned

Originally Posted by mattbenecci
Agreed - but my point is that people go to far. Not so much on this forum, but on others ie bunch of f.....g muppets, low life etc just a couple seen recently. All up for opinions and banter, but not when it stretches that far. Surely you can see my point on this.
I have seen some comments like this on other pomsinoz type forums I must say. Certain forums are known for being much more aggressive and rude. Generally this one is good although a few dont play by the rules.
Old Jan 11th 2014, 1:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

As mentioned, this show for the most part is complete rubbish and only tells half truths..
Old Jan 11th 2014, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tramps_mate
As mentioned, this show for the most part is complete rubbish and only tells half truths..
Maybe dont watch it then I wouldnt if I felt that way

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.