Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

Old Jan 27th 2014, 5:31 pm
TGA
Banned

TGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond reputeTGA has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC Wanted Down Under - Series 8

Originally Posted by aries
While doing some back exercises this morning, I watched a programme with two young gay men checking out Adelaide.

I was surprised when one, after being told he could start at about £20,000 more than he earns in the UK, not being happy because he wouldn't start at the managerial level he currently enjoys. So does that matter if he could work his way back up and earn even more money at a later date?

If he wants to move down under he should think about compromise.
maybe he thought he was getting his pants pulled down.
Old Jan 27th 2014, 5:37 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

You'll earn £20,000 more than in the UK seems to be the WDU mantra.
Old Jan 29th 2014, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

I watched another episode this morning (it was NZ) and the show is so hackneyed I got cross with myself for wasting my life with this garbage. Another couple who get taken to Auckland (never anywhere else) only to see their relatives weeping and they can't bear it. As for the Australian episodes it should be called Not wanted down under. No more WDU for me!
Old Jan 31st 2014, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Nicki Chapman who hosts Wanted Down Under, said on Countdown this afternoon that 6 out of 10 families on WDU eventually go down under as planned.

Not always easy for them of course, but I don't remember moving to Australia or New Zealand was ever promoted as solving all of life's problems.

The WDU host said she herself fell in love with Australia at the age of 19 when she went to live in Sydney.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 4:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't remember moving to Australia or New Zealand was ever promoted as solving all of life's problems.
That's exactly what WDU promises though......
Old Jan 31st 2014, 6:26 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
That's exactly what WDU promises though......
That's not true. What the show does is it runs with peoples hopes and dreams and applies their evaluation formula on them (homes, jobs, social, costs, family and friends left behind), and lets people decide for themselves while the WDU team cobbles together all the viewer capturing highlights. But in the end people hear and decide what they want - irrespective of any rational truths that come out of the exercise and that is the elephant in the room.
Old Jan 31st 2014, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree. If we assume the people in the programme don't do any research of their own (and it certainly looks that way watching it), then they are peddled complete tosh and aren't arriving at a reasonable conclusion at all. The program makers choose people who don't want to see reality and don't show them reality; they show them a week on holiday. The programme just reinforces people's dreams.

There was one a couple of weeks ago featuring a young girl working as a bookeeper who wanted to go to New Zealand. She could have got a £20k payrise if she was accepted into a graduate recruitment programme, apparently. She wasn't a graduate, she wasn't even an undergraduate. Nobody pointed that out and she appeared not to notice. She and her mum were making their calculations on the basis she would get a job for which she did not qualify.

In my view, the programme sets out to portray both Australia and New Zealand as paradise. Everyone is told you work half the hours, can live by the sea in a house twice as big, be home to put your children in bed and earn twice as much. How many people on here find that is their reality?
Old Feb 1st 2014, 7:11 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by louie
I don't agree. If we assume the people in the programme don't do any research of their own (and it certainly looks that way watching it), then they are peddled complete tosh and aren't arriving at a reasonable conclusion at all. The program makers choose people who don't want to see reality and don't show them reality; they show them a week on holiday. The programme just reinforces people's dreams.

There was one a couple of weeks ago featuring a young girl working as a bookeeper who wanted to go to New Zealand. She could have got a £20k payrise if she was accepted into a graduate recruitment programme, apparently. She wasn't a graduate, she wasn't even an undergraduate. Nobody pointed that out and she appeared not to notice. She and her mum were making their calculations on the basis she would get a job for which she did not qualify.

In my view, the programme sets out to portray both Australia and New Zealand as paradise. Everyone is told you work half the hours, can live by the sea in a house twice as big, be home to put your children in bed and earn twice as much. How many people on here find that is their reality?
Yes, spot on. Everyone seems to be able earn that magical £20k more regardless of their experience or qualifications. One I saw the other day was told she could earn loads more working full time than she currently did working part time in the UK
I do love the overuse of 'could potentially'. Its a funny show.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 8:05 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Who pays for the flights over here? Don't the people on the show already have their visas? I'm sure they used to when I saw it in the early days back in the UK. I'm sure I remember from that time that the people used the programme to get a trip over here to validate and from what some of them said on here, they were edited to within an inch of their life but at the end of the day they've had a free trip over and didn't really give a monkey's how they were perceived by people they'll never know. No idea how it's done now.

It seems very presumptuous to assume that these people have done no research just because they come across as dumb when it's five odd days of filming edited down to half an hour or 40 minutes.

As for the programme promising anything well that has to be nonsense, it's simply a programme made to entertain people. It's not a documentary, I'm sure it doesn't market itself as factual and it's not made by the Australian Government so why would the makers promise anything other than to provide a topic for people to watch and talk about?

Watch it and make fun of it by all means but don't patronise people when you don't know their full backgrounds or what's been edited out.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Who pays for the flights over here? Don't the people on the show already have their visas? I'm sure they used to when I saw it in the early days back in the UK. I'm sure I remember from that time that the people used the programme to get a trip over here to validate and from what some of them said on here, they were edited to within an inch of their life but at the end of the day they've had a free trip over and didn't really give a monkey's how they were perceived by people they'll never know. No idea how it's done now.

It seems very presumptuous to assume that these people have done no research just because they come across as dumb when it's five odd days of filming edited down to half an hour or 40 minutes.

As for the programme promising anything well that has to be nonsense, it's simply a programme made to entertain people. It's not a documentary, I'm sure it doesn't market itself as factual and it's not made by the Australian Government so why would the makers promise anything other than to provide a topic for people to watch and talk about?

Watch it and make fun of it by all means but don't patronise people when you don't know their full backgrounds or what's been edited out.
I agree totally moneyypenny. I applied for the next series and managed to get down to the last 40 families but was unsuccessful as they only needed 20. I probably would have come across as dumb with or without editing
I didnt need WDU to help me with my research as I have been and returned to the UK but would like to go back. What I am uncertain of is where to settle back to and the show would have offered a chance to show me something different, flights, hire car and accommodation paid for, when I am not in a position to afford another reccie.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 9:40 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

It would seem incredible in this day and internet age that anyone who has a dream of moving to Australia would not carry out tons of independent research.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:14 am
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulry
It would seem incredible in this day and internet age that anyone who has a dream of moving to Australia would not carry out tons of independent research.
I'm sure that all the people chosen for WDU have done their own research before being taken for their big adventure, but nothing beats being on the spot to experience reality.

We see only the heavily edited parts of their trips, do they look at other homes beyond the ones shown in the programmes, and experience other parts of life there? And if they find that buying or renting their dream homes in the big cities are too expensive, do they consider regional locations which could also be near the sea which they usually crave?

There is a lot to consider when moving a family, as in Britain there needs to be compromise.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

garyp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of lightgaryp is a glorious beacon of light

I'm sure that all the people chosen for WDU have done their own research before being taken for their big adventure, but nothing beats being on the spot to experience reality.

We see only the heavily edited parts of their trips, do they look at other homes beyond the ones shown in the programmes, and experience other parts of life there? And if they find that buying or renting their dream homes in the big cities are too expensive, do they consider regional locations which could also be near the sea which they usually crave?

There is a lot to consider when moving a family, as in Britain there needs to be compromise.
There is nothing like getting the feel for a place to see if you can live there rather than look at it on the internet. When the BBC researcher came to the house as part of the application process I suggested I would like to see somewhere different, more regional away from the city, but they seem to go to the same places around the cities.
Old Feb 1st 2014, 10:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Still Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond reputeStill Game has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20

My thoughts spot on.

I just wonder if so many people go on about how much they hate it and what it portrays... why are you still watching it?! Go do something different in your life for that 40 mins....
Old Feb 1st 2014, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

Because it holds a fascination for what might be or maybe it's just car crash tv?!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.