banking

Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:09 pm
MickyBhoy

mickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to allmickpower75 is a name known to all
Red face banking

Can anyone advice on how to set up a bank account please i have heard about Westpac.
Is this a good bank to deal with do you get bank cards etc or is it for internet banking.

please advice.

transfering money from uk to oz what the best way to do it.
The clydesdale bank is part of the Australlian banks is this the way to go or is there another way to do this i take it you get charged for transferring money but whats the best way to do it

cheers
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:13 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: banking

Originally Posted by mickpower75
Can anyone advice on how to set up a bank account please i have heard about Westpac.
Is this a good bank to deal with do you get bank cards etc or is it for internet banking.

please advice.

transfering money from uk to oz what the best way to do it.
The clydesdale bank is part of the Australlian banks is this the way to go or is there another way to do this i take it you get charged for transferring money but whats the best way to do it

cheers
Try Ozforex or Hifx for a better exchange rate.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 12:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

You can also open an account with Commonwealth Bank before you leave, here is the site.

http://www.migrantbanking.co.uk/

Good luck.

Mikey
Old Jul 17th 2008, 1:19 pm
Account Closed

Machiavelli is an unknown quantity at this point

We changed to Westpac accounts last October.

We took out a Westpac credit card which costs $150 per year.

We have two cards, one Mastercard, one American Express, both Westpac credit/Efpos cards.

We get double points when we can use the American Express Westpac card, and single points for shops who don't accept American Express, so we use the 'ordinary' Mastercard. We use the American Express card at most 'big' stores, e.g., Woolworth (fuel, groceries, mobile top ups), Coles, (fuel, groceries, mobile top ups), Myer, David Jones, Dan Browns, household bills, restuarants, etc., and the Mastercard at all other outlets who either don't accept American Express, or charge a fee for doing so.

Since October we have been able to claim back, from award points, for 4 x $200 Myers 'gift cards' and 1 x Bunnings $200 gift card', so in 9 months we have got $1,000 in vouchers for a card that we pay a $150 annual fee for.

Result? $850 tax free $s to spend at the sales!

We have always paid for everything by credit card, and paid the total credit card off each month, but we've never had the bonus of applying for 'gift cards' with any other credit card we've had.

Every so often, we apply for a credit card which offers 'interest free transfers for 6/12 months'. and add to our savings by transferring our credit card balance to that, thereby getting interest in our 'savings' account while we pay the credit card off interest free.

It doesn't sound like much of a saving, but every cent you can get interest on is a cent that you don't pay interest on.

M
Old Jul 17th 2008, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

kunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nicekunjal and shamir is just really nice

Originally Posted by Machiavelli
We changed to Westpac accounts last October.

We took out a Westpac credit card which costs $150 per year.

We have two cards, one Mastercard, one American Express, both Westpac credit/Efpos cards.

We get double points when we can use the American Express Westpac card, and single points for shops who don't accept American Express, so we use the 'ordinary' Mastercard. We use the American Express card at most 'big' stores, e.g., Woolworth (fuel, groceries, mobile top ups), Coles, (fuel, groceries, mobile top ups), Myer, David Jones, Dan Browns, household bills, restuarants, etc., and the Mastercard at all other outlets who either don't accept American Express, or charge a fee for doing so.

Since October we have been able to claim back, from award points, for 4 x $200 Myers 'gift cards' and 1 x Bunnings $200 gift card', so in 9 months we have got $1,000 in vouchers for a card that we pay a $150 annual fee for.

Result? $850 tax free $s to spend at the sales!

We have always paid for everything by credit card, and paid the total credit card off each month, but we've never had the bonus of applying for 'gift cards' with any other credit card we've had.

Every so often, we apply for a credit card which offers 'interest free transfers for 6/12 months'. and add to our savings by transferring our credit card balance to that, thereby getting interest in our 'savings' account while we pay the credit card off interest free.

It doesn't sound like much of a saving, but every cent you can get interest on is a cent that you don't pay interest on.

M
STOOZING (credit card transfers into savings!) I used to do this lots until they started charging balance transfer fees... although still worth doing if you are organised! At my peak i had £66k of credit card money earning me a nice amount of interest!

I am using the amex bmi card for everything at the moment in the hope that we can get to sydney bus class!!... any excuse to keep shopping!