Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Bank Draft or Aus Post money transfer for US payment?

Bank Draft or Aus Post money transfer for US payment?

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Rainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond reputeRainydaze has a reputation beyond repute
Default Bank Draft or Aus Post money transfer for US payment?

Hoping somebody amongst the BE folks can help me with this query.

What's the nearest equivalent in Australia to a postal order in the UK? On behalf of OH (who's at work today) I am trying to organise membership payment to a US organisation which doesn't accept credit card payments for new members. He doesn't want to issue a cheque via own bank account, so I basically want to acquire a pre-paid cheque for US$55 which I can post to this organisation.

I 've had a squiz at the Aus Post website but their only option for sending money abroad seems to be via Western Union money transfers. Would I be better to use an international bank draft? Or have I overlooked a glaringly obvious solution?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 12:59 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bank Draft or Aus Post money transfer for US payment?

Originally Posted by Rainydaze
Hoping somebody amongst the BE folks can help me with this query.

What's the nearest equivalent in Australia to a postal order in the UK? On behalf of OH (who's at work today) I am trying to organise membership payment to a US organisation which doesn't accept credit card payments for new members. He doesn't want to issue a cheque via own bank account, so I basically want to acquire a pre-paid cheque for US$55 which I can post to this organisation.

I 've had a squiz at the Aus Post website but their only option for sending money abroad seems to be via Western Union money transfers. Would I be better to use an international bank draft? Or have I overlooked a glaringly obvious solution?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Best option (in my opinion anyway) is just to transfer the money. You'll need the swift number and acct number of the US organisation, name and address of their bank and name of account. Then you can just go to your online banking and transfer the money. Costs approx $20AUD I think. There may be slightly cheaper alternatives to this, perhaps someone else has further input.
Old Jul 2nd 2010, 8:22 am
ABCDiamond

Can you use Paypal ?

I use it all the time to pay things in the USA, and it is very cheap option. No cost.

Old Jul 2nd 2010, 12:40 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Is it a trusted organization? Any mention of Western Union makes me nervous....