Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Back to Oz, no job :(

Back to Oz, no job :(

Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:53 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Back to Oz, no job :(

Originally Posted by quoll
Yup age discrimination is alive and well in Aus. Having said that though, at 61 until the new clerk came on board (he is not only a he, he is 25 - and gay) I was the second youngest with a 73, 67 and 63 year old and the boss who just turned 40 (all female=very dynamic, funny and highly functioning team) . We didnt knock him back as "not fitting in the team" and I have found that in team work age is all but irrelevant. In my previous life, sharing responsibility for a particular event with a young man who was younger than my youngest - when I pointed out to him that I was older than his mum because of something he thought I would be doing, he just looked at me and said "that really never occurred to me" (smart lad)

Hope the return to your area of expertise pays dividends BD and you pick up the plum position!
Thanks Quoll, yes know what you mean about the age thing, I was pretty shaken by the agency telling me that as I don't even think about my age when it comes to work and could probably beat half of them hands down with my experience of the job, etc.

But at the end of the day I really don't want to work with a load of mid 20's, I would sooner work in a mixed bag of people, young, old, men, women, black, white, straight, gay you know what I mean, it's all about balance......
Old Jun 14th 2010, 1:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
An interview yesterday for which I got knocked back as I "didn't fit the team" of mid 20 somethings.......... probably true even though that is basically age discrimination..........

An interview today for 2 possible jobs and a second interview on Tuesday for a job I went for last week, a major re-shuffle in the company means I have to be interviewed by the man who could possibly be my boss..........and so it goes on..............

I did try to get a job down here in the 'gong and have probably wasted too much time but since I decided to move back into my field of "expertise" and experience the interviews have been coming along swimmingly......I will keep you posted.............
All sounds very positive, good luck
Old Jun 29th 2010, 4:53 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

WOOOHOOOO!! I got the job, the pay isn't as much as I would have liked (in fact $18,000 per year less than I was getting before I left Oz at my last job!!) but you gotta start somewhere and this job has great potential!!

Thanks for all the karma and good wishes from my BE friends.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations!
Attached Thumbnails Back to Oz, no job :(-champers.jpg  
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:20 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Congratulations!
Thanks Sally, I will put the bubbly on ice for tonight.

Barb
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:29 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

WOOOHOOOO!! I got the job, the pay isn't as much as I would have liked (in fact $18,000 per year less than I was getting before I left Oz at my last job!!) but you gotta start somewhere and this job has great potential!!

Thanks for all the karma and good wishes from my BE friends.
Going to be working anywhere that I might be interested in getting discounts from?
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:30 am
Home Sweet Home

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Going to be working anywhere that I might be interested in getting discounts from?
The big red kangaroo........... no discounts for you but some for me.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:44 am
Account Closed

The big red kangaroo........... no discounts for you but some for me.
Red Rooster would have been good as well... all those free chicken burgers !
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:48 am
Home Sweet Home

Red Rooster would have been good as well... all those free chicken burgers !

Still trying to shift the weight I put on last year, Greggs pasties, chocolate eclairs, chips and mushy peas and lots of toooooo much yummy food. I even ate a whole tin of Roses that I bought at Christmas, a whole tin all on my own!!!!!!
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:49 am
Home Sweet Home

Still trying to shift the weight I put on last year, Greggs pasties, chocolate eclairs, chips and mushy peas and lots of toooooo much yummy food. I even ate a whole tin of Roses that I bought at Christmas, a whole tin all on my own!!!!!!

Why have you changed from Liam Gallagher into Frankie Howerd?
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:52 am
Account Closed

p.s. Why have you changed from Liam Gallagher into Frankie Howerd?
I thought the picture of Frankie better portrayed my new caring, emotionally concerned, side.
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:52 am
Home Sweet Home

I thought the picture of Frankie better portrayed my new caring, emotionally concerned, side.
I was wondering if you had come out of the closet LOL!!
Old Jun 29th 2010, 5:54 am
Account Closed

I was wondering if you had come out of the closet LOL!!
Shit, I hadn't thought of that..... be right back. !
Old Jun 29th 2010, 6:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

I can relate to that, I did the same with a large family bar of fruit and nut chocs I felt soooooooo guilty after.
Great news about the job .hope it all works all well for you
Old Jun 29th 2010, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Shit, I hadn't thought of that..... be right back. !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.