Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Old Sep 20th 2014, 1:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia's terror alert level raised to high

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
All this has made my daughter very anxious about travelling on public transport.

I distinctly remember being in London when all the bombings were going on in the 80's, and had just left one station (Baker Street?) when a bomb went off.

For me, a raised terror alert and a heavy police presence are a good thing. They would use large numbers and the element of "shock and awe" barging into a house in the small hours to prevent a suspect from being alert and prepared to defend him/herself, whether they were white, black, yellow, Christian, atheist or Muslim.

It says a lot that the protesters called them pigs and dogs and tried to say that they were abusing half naked women. Sorry, but they are responding to a perceived threat, and don't actually know what could be facing them behind the closed door. I'd rather they went in like that than pussyfooted around just to avoid injuring muslim sensibilities, and then have some jihadist set a bomb off or open fire on innocent public.
My thoughts:

The left (and I don't mean that in a negative way) will claim that some new laws are draconian and some evidence that Australia is now a country run by neo-cons with reduction of rights. I see that a suspect was detained and released quite quickly when a instrument expired - although elsewhere there is an instrument where this can be several weeks.

Anti-terror laws are a good idea. Australia is following the lead of the Uk and other countries where there was a threat or is still a threat. A less naive approach, maybe?

Dealing with potential terrorism in this manner is not playing into the hands of the terrorists - they are after all criminals - dangerous criminals. On the one had we must not be terrorised by them but we should deal with them as the criminals they are.

Only a few know of the details in these cases - that is the way it should be.
It may well be that an innocent is detained for days longer than they need to be - but that is process.

I agree with Zulu that Muslims need to deal with their own. After all, the secular West - the 'Christian' general public is quite happy to deal with (and censor) Christians in their midst(!)
Old Sep 20th 2014, 2:05 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Well Police visibility has increased in Sydney. And they're telling people if they see something suspicious call the police.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 4:19 am
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
I'd rather they went in like that than pussyfooted around just to avoid injuring muslim sensibilities, and then have some jihadist set a bomb off or open fire on innocent public.
Injured sensibilities are the root cause of this problem.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 5:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bra_boy
Injured sensibilities are the root cause of this problem.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 7:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I still see police speed trapping during this high level of alertness.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 9:46 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I still see police speed trapping during this high level of alertness.
It's part of "police visibility" efforts I suppose.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 3:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just thinking back.......anyone know the Neville Shute book (and subsequent film) 'On The Beach'? Where the world was hit by a nuclear war, and Australia was the last country to go - the US Navy relocated ships to Melbourne and Hobart as they were the last places to be affected by the radioactivity. People ere fleeing as far south as they could and Aus was considered the safest place.

An ex of mine moved to Tassie from the UK back in the late 70s along with a couple of friends, and part of their reasoning was that Europe/Russia were on the brink of the Cold War and Australia was the furthest they could go from the 'danger zone'.
Are people now seeing Australia as a haven from terrorists? F;eeing here cos they think its safe, in the same way as its was seen as 'safe' from (fictional) radioactivity - or from the threat of the Cold War?
Hardly safe anymore in taking up a front line role along with recent other sensationalist happenings.

Was it ever safe though? Pine Gap and the US facility at Exmouth in WA would surely have made it a target of the Chinese or Soviets.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 3:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Basically we need to hear from locals in Western Sydney before totally condeming, just in case it is an issue.

1 arrest out of 15 would seem to those involved as over the top, the local community would know better though.

It pays to keep an open mind when it comes to the authorities justyfing their actions. Especially when the stakes are so high. If they get it badly wrong they could be causing more harm than good.
It does very much. High visible raids covered very well by Murdoch press make what you will out of that.
Old Sep 21st 2014, 4:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by paddyo
I can't argue with that, in fact I agree with most of it. I was being general in my response but with ISIS my concern is now an almost unilateral hatred of Muslims and that is a shame, by and large they are a peaceful people and with great family traditions. I am vehemently against all the 'ban the burka', 'stop building Mosque' crap thats being spouted by some.
But I do think a response is needed, if it were me I would send in a crack SAS team, grab those fun seeking Australian and UK 'martyrs' and bring them back and then let them face the wrath of prison....and all the sexual joys it would bring!
Unlikely to succeed. The Middle East has been a mire of quicksand throughout history of invaders. This is unlikely to change. This is not about religion and the continued reference to it, by outside observers is only going to worsen and get many more off side.

The forces of ISIS are more nationalist (right wing)inclined in their desires and use Islam to their perceived advantage.
The issue being of course if not handled properly leaving gung ho war comic stuff out of the equation, the risk of inflaming the situation and it going on for a very prolonged time indeed is more the likely outcome.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 8:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Polly - Australia might have been a 'safer' option for a Cold War - a limited war back in the 70s etc (along with cultural factors - people wanting to drop out as well) but I think everyone has to agree that Australia is a target and has been for at least a decade.

I actually think in the League Table of targets that Australia is sort of low -
you might get more bang for your buck elsewhere - more people, more infiltration - more newsworthy.

That said, if Sydney or Melbourne copped a big bang it would be sort of a 9/11.

Notice how I have failed to mention Brisbane or Perth - see - there is a sort of league table in operation. Australia might have been certainly a soft target - but now it is hardening up.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 8:22 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Polly - Australia might have been a 'safer' option for a Cold War - a limited war back in the 70s etc (along with cultural factors - people wanting to drop out as well) but I think everyone has to agree that Australia is a target and has been for at least a decade.

I actually think in the League Table of targets that Australia is sort of low -
you might get more bang for your buck elsewhere - more people, more infiltration - more newsworthy.

That said, if Sydney or Melbourne copped a big bang it would be sort of a 9/11.

Notice how I have failed to mention Brisbane or Perth - see - there is a sort of league table in operation. Australia might have been certainly a soft target - but now it is hardening up.
I'm sitting on a double-edged sword here, with a job that would be at the pointy end if there were a terrorist attack on Australian soil. I, and some fellow Brits, have been voicing an opinion within our department certainly since I started there in 2004 - Australia will not know how to cope if and when there is an attack, because of their lack of previous experience, and their denial for so long that anything could happen here. I naturally hate and abhor the thought that an attack could take place, yet the disaster coordinator side of me says I really would like to see how the country copes and reacts.
Some moves within departments last week as a knee jerk reaction to the NSW hospital alerts suggests that plans are in place but methods for implementing them are not totally organised.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 8:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm sitting on a double-edged sword here, with a job that would be at the pointy end if there were a terrorist attack on Australian soil. I, and some fellow Brits, have been voicing an opinion within our department certainly since I started there in 2004 - Australia will not know how to cope if and when there is an attack, because of their lack of previous experience, and their denial for so long that anything could happen here. I naturally hate and abhor the thought that an attack could take place, yet the disaster coordinator side of me says I really would like to see how the country copes and reacts.
Some moves within departments last week as a knee jerk reaction to the NSW hospital alerts suggests that plans are in place but methods for implementing them are not totally organised.
I am not sure what sort of disasters you plan for - and I was under the impression it is was more weather-based, but the way I look at it is that Australia does have a police force, and a security agency. Planning does not *have* to be experience-based or threat-based.

It is not as if Australia would say 'Oh look a bomb! What do we do?'
I am the Chief Fire warden and everyone gets training on bomb scares etc - this is a facet of modern life in this world - you don't have to be in Europe to know what a bomb is.

Many Australian hospitals would have plans in place for big incidents - it might just be a big shooting - a big train crash - or a fertiliser explosion at a mine facility.

A beheading in public is the same as a shooting but it takes more time. Remember that Australian cops carry pistols - the majority of British police do not - personally I believe the British police should have armed in the 1980s - yet the British police still managed throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s unless of course the 'baddies' had a weapon and they didn't. No amount of threat or experience changed that factor.

Even the British Army did not routinely arm guards in the Cold war.

So I welcome the threat level increase, and the defined threat- but not all plans need to be rewritten. ASIO has increased the level and measure will be taken.
That filters down.

I actually believe that all disasters and terrorist events always initially take some sort of iniative (well-known to any military commander) which no
amount of training, experience or prep can cover. It's really about reacting and resourcing and relying on ASIO etc - the first line of defence.

Actually - was going to say - when these things happen - what often makes some difference of course is the local reaction on the ground - it's not the emergency services who get there first - it's the man standing on the platform - or the person who drags someone out - or someone who notices something.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Sep 22nd 2014 at 8:40 am.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 8:48 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I am not sure what sort of disasters you plan for - and I was under the impression it is was more weather-based, but the way I look at it is that Australia does have a police force, and a security agency. Planning does not *have* to be experience-based or threat-based.

It is not as if Australia would say 'Oh look a bomb! What do we do?'
I am the Chief Fire warden and everyone gets training on bomb scares etc - this is a facet of modern life in this world - you don't have to be in Europe to know what a bomb is.

Many Australian hospitals would have plans in place for big incidents - it might just be a big shooting - a big train crash - or a fertiliser explosion at a mine facility.

A beheading in public is the same as a shooting but it takes more time. Remember that Australian cops carry pistols - the majority of British police do not - personally I believe the British police should have armed in the 1980s - yet the British police still managed throughout the 70s, 80s and 90s unless of course the 'baddies' had a weapon and they didn't. No amount of threat or experience changed that factor.

Even the British Army did not routinely arm guards in the Cold war.

So I welcome the threat level increase, and the defined threat- but not all plans need to be rewritten. ASIO has increased the level and measure will be taken.
That filters down.

I actually believe that all disasters and terrorist events always initially take some sort of iniative which no
amount of training, experience or prep can cover. It's really about reacting and resourcing and relying on ASIO etc - the first line of defence.
We are the coordinators for any event which requires a multi-agency response within Queensland - and we also coordinate any assistance from here to any other State or territory. Of necessity our focus is usually on weather, but we have a far wider remit in the background. For example if NSW had been evacuating patients from hospitals hear the border last week we would have been involved in coordinating the movements.
I know departments do train for bomb threats, security alerts etc, and I am sure many of you as wardens, firefighters etc are ready but I can't help wondering how individuals will respond if and when the real thing happens. For so many people this is an alien environment and only when it happens will we know how the ordinary person, who has lived here all their lives, will react.

Taking you as a case in point Badge, your history from years ago is not that of a typical Aussie guy in an office who got the fire warden job by default and is now thinking 'oh @@@@' what if?'
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 9:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BadgeIsBack;11413795]

If there was a League Table right now, Brisbane in 8 weeks time would be Top Spot.
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 9:54 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Would an individual in the UK or Australia respond any differently to a major explosion nearby, or to the horror of a beheading in front of them? I don't believe they would. Some things you just can't prepare for.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.