Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Tax Review...How does it impact you?

Australian Tax Review...How does it impact you?

Old Jan 12th 2010, 4:48 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Australian Tax Review...How does it impact you?

Sorry - I meant how would it impact you if at all. I hope the recommendation that income tax on savings be axed is implemented

Any idea what the impact on house prices would be, that is if they decide to implement the reported recommendation to remove discounts on Capital Gains tax and overhaul negative gearing?

Last edited by IndieG; Jan 12th 2010 at 4:51 am.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:01 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Australian Tax Review...How does it impact you?

What changes are going to be implemented then ?

Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

mulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond reputemulben has a reputation beyond repute

Its just a White Paper still in discussion
Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by mulben
Yeah, all 1,000 pages of it

Old Jan 12th 2010, 5:46 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by IndieG
Sorry - I meant how would it impact you if at all. I hope the recommendation that income tax on savings be axed is implemented

Any idea what the impact on house prices would be, that is if they decide to implement the reported recommendation to remove discounts on Capital Gains tax and overhaul negative gearing?
It will mean that I pay more tax... same as every other 'tax system review' since governments invented income tax.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 6:58 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mulben

So is it going to be discussed and debated for years and then finally get implemented?

They're keeping the report under wraps and away from the opposition...so I guess some not so popular tax reforms/higher taxes to pay for the budget deficit.

I thought I read somewhere that it would be implemented this year
Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:02 am
ABCDiamond

So is it going to be discussed and debated for years and then finally get implemented?

They're keeping the report under wraps and away from the opposition...so I guess some not so popular tax reforms/higher taxes to pay for the budget deficit.

I thought I read somewhere that it would be implemented this year
The government will release all the proposals this year, and then start to talk about them, then decide which ones they like, and which they don't.

Then they will table their choices in parliament and see if the options get passed by the elected politicians.

Probably after the next election after a rough guess...

Old Jan 12th 2010, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

Right...thanks.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 8:35 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

CGT discount will most likely be removed.

Lets say that you purchased $200k worth of shares and then sold them 12months and 1 day later, for $800k. At the moment, only 50% of the $600k profit is subject to CGT. After the Henry review reforms are implemented, it is highly likely that there will be no discount... all $600k will be taxable.

This will have some knock on effects, in terms of whether an investor chooses to purchase assets with a high yield and low capital growth, or assets with high capital growth and minimal yield.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 9:44 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asprilla
CGT discount will most likely be removed.

Lets say that you purchased $200k worth of shares and then sold them 12months and 1 day later, for $800k. At the moment, only 50% of the $600k profit is subject to CGT. After the Henry review reforms are implemented, it is highly likely that there will be no discount... all $600k will be taxable.

This will have some knock on effects, in terms of whether an investor chooses to purchase assets with a high yield and low capital growth, or assets with high capital growth and minimal yield.
Well consider most investments are held in family or unit trusts

And what about high yield and high capital growth?
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:01 am
BE Enthusiast

OzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to beholdOzSheila is a splendid one to behold

Just accept the fact that under the Australian taxation system if you earn a relatively good salary, in real terms you will pay about 85% tax and get nothing in return. There is no incentive to save and superannuation is one big con.
Old Jan 12th 2010, 10:43 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by OzSheila
Just accept the fact that under the Australian taxation system if you earn a relatively good salary, in real terms you will pay about 85% tax and get nothing in return. There is no incentive to save and superannuation is one big con.
Good job the maximum Tax rate is 45%, but only over $180,000 per year

Tax on a $180,000 annual salary is $55,850 or 31.028%

Old Jan 12th 2010, 11:46 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

In my experience any tax review means you end up worse off. Accept it, thats just life.
The only things that are certain are death and taxes.