Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Old Feb 2nd 2015, 5:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia is too bloody far away....from everything

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I've met many Germans who are the epitomy of a cultured and well-mannered and thoughtful nation. Often conscientious. Perhaps, (it's hard to articulate) not as quirky as the Anglo-Saxons but there is a certain beauty and cohesion in their mindset. In the field of classical music I have met some fine 'operators' who very much get the joke.
Mindset is certainly different. Germans appear to have the innate ability to look at an issue and work out in detail the plus and minus's and what will work and what will not.

Afraid chaos and not a little waste easily exhibits in the Anglo thinking,too often shallow thinking with ill thought out results owing to poor consideration given to the whole.
More a trial and error perhaps. Germanic certainly not as quirky(sadly) and can give rise to terms as being over extended, too involved, too deep, fanatical at times but can seldom be accused to not giving something their whole.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 8:53 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

My best friend is German and I worked with and alongside Germans in many industries over a period of 40 years.

There is certainly an aura surrounding German business but in my experience it is rather unfounded. They are no better or worse than many other European nations. Good and bad everywhere.

I liken it to Sony which is or was regarded as the bees knees whereas their equipment was no better than many other brands but Sony's advertising hype was excellent.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 9:29 am
Just Joined

Plastic Scouse is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Telling how it is as well you know Heinrich.

Hermann und Heinrich
Dad ist gut
Macht Krieg night Liebe!
Gross Liebe
Das Skouser

( bombing our chippy b......Ds)
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 9:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bix
My best friend is German and I worked with and alongside Germans in many industries over a period of 40 years.

There is certainly an aura surrounding German business but in my experience it is rather unfounded. They are no better or worse than many other European nations. Good and bad everywhere.

I liken it to Sony which is or was regarded as the bees knees whereas their equipment was no better than many other brands but Sony's advertising hype was excellent.

George Michael told me Sony was a Japanese company amazing to find it is actually German !
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 9:55 am
Just Joined

Mindset is certainly different. Germans appear to have the innate ability to look at an issue and work out in detail the plus and minus's and what will work and what will not.

Afraid chaos and not a little waste easily exhibits in the Anglo thinking,too often shallow thinking with ill thought out results owing to poor consideration given to the whole.
More a trial and error perhaps. Germanic certainly not as quirky(sadly) and can give rise to terms as being over extended, too involved, too deep, fanatical at times but can seldom be accused to not giving something their whole.
Ya Ya Das 1000 yahr reich Kaputt!
Mein Gott in Himmel

Yes British do tend to muddle through and not over plan
Feel like I am in a parallel universe so I will go and see if the chooks have laid some eggs
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 10:19 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Plastic Scouse
Feel like I am in a parallel universe so I will go and see if the chooks have laid some eggs
I'd love some chooks so we could have fresh eggs. All we have is a whopping great dog who lays barker's eggs.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 12:17 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

George Michael told me Sony was a Japanese company amazing to find it is actually German !
Where did he say Sony was German? He said he likened German business to Sony
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 3:50 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I'd love some chooks so we could have fresh eggs. All we have is a whopping great dog who lays barker's eggs.

When I was a boy used to collect birds eggs from the woods surrounding the United States Air Force Base in Burtonwood
Emigrated to Australia and my first Aussie mate showed me the Barkers Eggs all over the field in Stuart Park in Wollongong
Now you are telling me that there is no such thing as a Barker bird !! It's a dog !
Sending you a pressy from our hens eggspress delivery because you deserve it
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 11:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix

There are certain differences perhaps more of a cultural nature and educational emphasis in approaching a problem.

Of course differences go only so far as we are all European but remain all the same especially in comparison with Anglo Saxon thinking.
Not always a question of good or bad but different. You may well need to have worked in that country and speak the language to fully comprehend the difference.
Old Feb 2nd 2015, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ya Ya Das 1000 yahr reich Kaputt!
Mein Gott in Himmel

Yes British do tend to muddle through and not over plan
Keep life simple. Lot to be said for doing just that. I'm sure there's a place you belong.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 3:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

You state
"I don't think I have met a pommee brasher who meant it"
Oh right so someone who offers physical or verbal abuse to a British person .....does not mean to be offensive !!!
I have never come across it.
The odd joke followed by an expression of liking for the English.

If someone really hated the English they have issues and baggage they have to deal with.

I do believe it happens - but it represents an environment best avoided - and discounted.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 4:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I have never come across it.
The odd joke followed by an expression of liking for the English.

If someone really hated the English they have issues and baggage they have to deal with.

I do believe it happens - but it represents an environment best avoided - and discounted.
It certainly does in certain situations happen. I believe far less so than a few decades back and would likely be an additional reason to make angry than the prime one.

More likely those that do hate Pommies would hate all other nationalities equally, with the likelihood of hating other races more.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 8:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly does in certain situations happen. I believe far less so than a few decades back and would likely be an additional reason to make angry than the prime one.

More likely those that do hate Pommies would hate all other nationalities equally, with the likelihood of hating other races more.
Probably true - I do realise that some people may not be able to change their environment. But their environment does not represent all.

And if you are a scouser, or a Londoner and you move South (or North) you might also cop it. if people think you are insular. I am a believer in the individual getting on in life - not too concerned with where people come from as long as they can be understood, want to be understood and can gel.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 9:21 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

My (scouse) husband has lived in Australia for 25 years. Neither he, his first wife, nor their two kids have ever had any abuse due to being Poms. A bit of good natured and mutual ragging between mates, yes, but nothing that would even approach nasty or vindictive.

People really do get bent way out of shape over this. A couple of people grizzling on an internet forum does not make a country full of arseholes.
Old Feb 7th 2015, 1:13 pm
Just Joined

Many people here are trying to sweep away anti British behaviour with qualifying adjectives or subjective rambles
Professor Andrew Markus of Monash University funded by the Australian Federal Government researched the experience of migrants from 2000 to 2010
One of the major finds of this comprehensive survey:
" More than a third of recent arrivals have been discriminated against because of their skin colour ethnicity or religion"
" Two thirds of the migrants said they liked their new lives" but......
"less than 3 per cent nominated Australians as their reason for their happiness"
One can try and disregard " casual" racism but clearly the Fedral Government in funding this research is trying to get to grips with the social and financial costs
It may be painful for some people to accept but it is fact
Time to try and treat all people with the respect they deserve starting here with calling British people British not the derogatory term "Pom" likewise for other racist terms

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.