Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:03 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia really THAT expensive?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know some people at work do go at ot, like ever week or so. Personally I haven't been for nearly a year. Rather wait for the DVD and sit at home and watch in comfort with a beer or two, much cheaper.
yeh, it's strange cos going to the movies is popular. After years living here we still prefer to buy the DVD, get the jimjams on and start on the drinks & nibbles.

Getting dressed to see a film seems alien
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
yeh, it's strange cos going to the movies is popular. After years living here we still prefer to buy the DVD, get the jimjams on and start on the drinks & nibbles.

Getting dressed to see a film seems alien
Having children stopped us from going more often.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:33 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Having children stopped us from going more often.
Probably the nibbles that caused the kids
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Rubbish? If people want to analyse something - get it right.

There is only so much banging a woman can take.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:41 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Why not, everyone else gives examples, but without showing any links.... I think links to confirm these things are good. for everyone who is really interested.

It is if you don't think the same as you.

Maybe it is more expensive in some areas, in fact I am sure it is, but there are other areas where it may not be.
A quick look now (UK) gets me... £8.00 for 1 game for a family of 4 off peak... can you beat that? (or £12 for 2 games!!)

I would hope so, preferably in South Australia so I can take advantage of it!

And here's a link so you can read it and weep:
http://www.hollywoodbowl.co.uk/familypackages.php

Last edited by coolshadows; Jul 11th 2010 at 11:30 am.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 11:20 am
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack

Not easy to grasp that research is required before you step on the boat.

It was the first thing I did before I even thought about spending a day here long before migration was a glint in my eye!
For us the whole 'moving to Au' thingy took nearly 3 years from the initial phonecall to the agent to the stepping off the plane.
According to he Herald Sun today house prices in Melbourne have risen 50 % in that time...this makes a MASSIVE diference to the average persons budgeting
Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
For us the whole 'moving to Au' thingy took nearly 3 years from the initial phonecall to the agent to the stepping off the plane.
According to he Herald Sun today house prices in Melbourne have risen 50 % in that time...this makes a MASSIVE diference to the average persons budgeting
It's a pisser. Because many years ago Brits used the cheapish housing to subsidise other areas.

I've said it before - I actually wonder - right now - why people bother. I find it hard to recommend it for many people. Was that the noise of everyone rushing to agree with me?!

It was salaries I checked out though and baskets of goods. I remember doing it like it was only yesterday! I remember thinking - 'OK - no problem there'.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:07 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pomtastic
A trip to the cinema is a rare occasion, thesedays - too expensive unfortunately, we wait to hire out the DVD for home viewing.
This was todays news article...

July 11, 2010

FILM-lovers are flocking to the movies in unprecedented numbers with cinemas last week recording their highest-grossing box-office week of all time.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225890214735

Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:37 pm
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
This was todays news article...

July 11, 2010

FILM-lovers are flocking to the movies in unprecedented numbers with cinemas last week recording their highest-grossing box-office week of all time.
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225890214735
We (4 of us) went to see Toy Story 3D today. Cost $61 + $1 each for glasses + $1 each for booking fee.

To be honest, higher prices won't stop us going, we just go less frequently (same with lots of things here). Can't wait for it to warm up a little so we can get back in the sea.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:47 pm
ABCDiamond

Last time I went it worked out quite expensive... with the wine and meal...

Deluxe Cinema (18+ only) $12.50 per ticket + the wine and meal served at the seat just before the the movie started.

Two options are available
Movie Meal Deal at Victoria Point
Main course meal, tea or coffee at the Cafe plus movie of your choice.
ONLY $21.00
Delux sessions are in the intimate Deluxe Cinema. Enjoy a glass of wine or meal inside the cinema (at additional cost). You must be over 18 to attend these sessions. You also have exclusive access to the Luxury Lounge. All seats $12.50 each.

Old Jul 11th 2010, 12:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by coolshadows
To be honest, higher prices won't stop us going, we just go less frequently (same with lots of things here).
In economic terms, some things are just inelastic for some consumers.

In Australia, I think some things are just plain marked up - well beyond their equilibrium.

But people still buy them because they can afford it.

Australia is expensive for some, relative to other markets, but it may still be affordable for the same or others yet...if you get my meaning.

I avoid the things that I think are expensive and go elsewhere, and I tolerate others. (I make choices). I accept that not everything can be what it might be in a different market, and that it's not always possible to make direct comparisons. I gladly consume the things I think are good value - like transport. The net effect is that my life overall is affordable.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 4:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Fact of the matter is - Australia is expensive in majority categories than not. Period. The reason, how I try and understand is, lack of competition & supply.

-80% market share for coles and woolworths I am told
-4 major banks
-lack of supply of housing (rental or otherwise)
-low population, so the producers can recover their fixed costs on lower population base
-apart from commodities, nothing substantial to export (?) - i.e. lack of profit sharing in other industries.

22M does not fly against larger populated economies which encourage more competition and the ACCC equivalents actually get up their asses and do something about the situation like coles and wools. I don;t need to go into how dirty woolworths gets to oust smaller markets from the malls.

Expensive labour is another reason. Merely getting an electrician home costs anything between 75-100$. I remember once showing my DVD player if it could be repaired only to be told it can not and charged me 35$ to just have a look. I agree I was stupid to go and get it checked coz I was better of buying it new but I was new to the country.

The other point is, economics 101 dictates - higher the prices higher the salary. Economy can not function if the expensive economies don't pay expensive salaries.....
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Davesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to allDavesax is a name known to all

Originally Posted by E3only
Fact of the matter is - Australia is expensive in majority categories than not. Period. The reason, how I try and understand is, lack of competition & supply.

-80% market share for coles and woolworths I am told
-4 major banks
-lack of supply of housing (rental or otherwise)
-low population, so the producers can recover their fixed costs on lower population base
-apart from commodities, nothing substantial to export (?) - i.e. lack of profit sharing in other industries.

22M does not fly against larger populated economies which encourage more competition and the ACCC equivalents actually get up their asses and do something about the situation like coles and wools. I don;t need to go into how dirty woolworths gets to oust smaller markets from the malls.

Expensive labour is another reason. Merely getting an electrician home costs anything between 75-100$. I remember once showing my DVD player if it could be repaired only to be told it can not and charged me 35$ to just have a look. I agree I was stupid to go and get it checked coz I was better of buying it new but I was new to the country.

The other point is, economics 101 dictates - higher the prices higher the salary. Economy can not function if the expensive economies don't pay expensive salaries.....
Great post . I can't beleive this thread has the mileage it does - it's not as simple as comparing prices of petty everyday things and then toting them up to come up with an answer. In the last 4-5 years the exchange rate has gone from over 2.5 dollars down to 1.6 and is now going up again . Pound for dollar comparisons mean nothing at all.

A more realistic way of answering the question would be to way up the amount that you can save, your equity, your life style, hell even your state of well being / happiness and then ask yourself the question again having had a look at the bigger picture .
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

E3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond reputeE3only has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Davesax
Great post . I can't beleive this thread has the mileage it does - it's not as simple as comparing prices of petty everyday things and then toting them up to come up with an answer. In the last 4-5 years the exchange rate has gone from over 2.5 dollars down to 1.6 and is now going up again . Pound for dollar comparisons mean nothing at all.

A more realistic way of answering the question would be to way up the amount that you can save, your equity, your life style, hell even your state of well being / happiness and then ask yourself the question again having had a look at the bigger picture .
Second that, I have moved to California however I definitely thing living here is far more cheaper (baring a few comparisons here and there) and that's after I living in the most expensive places in Calif - San Francisco. However, the fact is, given the current state of USD - I will have to spend more USD to get AUD.

For me quality of life, schooling, getting around, buying a house, car, retirement, health care are much more important than merely comparing price of onions.

As I said all along. It's all subjective. What I define as 'good' quality of life is not what you will see it to be.

However, I believe "chooling, getting around, buying a house, car, retirement, health care" should capture 60-70% of everyones wish list.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 10:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by E3only
How do you account for people complaining about low Australian wages? Is there a disconnect somewhere?

Pound for dollar comparisons mean nothing at all.
Apart from people paid in GBP of course - but most people have never got this point in 6 years .

Can't argue with that.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Jul 11th 2010 at 10:55 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.