Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia an oversold country?

Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:17 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Originally Posted by busterboy
My fave ad was the one that went 'imagine if you had a soggy crotch'.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:20 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruthyman
my OH and I were amazed at the ads here at first...erections, crotches...what type of place had we brought our son.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by busterboy
my OH and I were amazed at the ads here at first...erections, crotches...what type of place had we brought our son.
I know, and how do you explain what an erection is anyway - at 8.45am in the morning on the way to school - oh yes sweetie, thats when the big people vote for the person who's 'gonna' be in charge of Australia
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:51 pm
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by caliburn
After reading hundreds of threads here, I have a feeling that Australia is perhaps a little bit of an oversold or overhyped country. With exorbitant property prices, high cost of living, relatively low income level, arguably a racist society, life-style compromise for some, scanty job market etc..... is it still a good value proposition for you?

So, why do people still go there? Lack of alternatives? Most other countries are non-English speaking, Canada too cold, US not to everyone's taste, NZ not offering much prospect, Ireland not different from UK....

One thing is for sure..... Australians have managed to market Ozland very well. You are Wanted Downunder!
The property prices are only high if you want to live next to the beach, or in the city centre. I live 5 mins form the beach, and have paid the same kinda price for a house I would have bought in the UK

The cost of living is the same as in the UK

I earn more here than I did on the oil rigs in the North Sea

Australia is no more racist than the UK, except in Oz we dont get any of the sectarian bigitory

jobs are a plenty in the oil and gas industry. Gorgan, Pluto, Wheatstone, Devils Creek are just some of the multi-billion dollar projects currently underway. Chevron are rumored to pay 20% more than everyone else to hire tradesmen for the Gorgan project. Woodside are the highest payers in the world for tradesmen. Apache will match everyone else's salary scales except Woodside.

Warm, sunny, my kids can be kids, I surf and dive as much as I can.

Same shit, warm country
Old Jul 12th 2009, 1:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tomy2tums
The property prices are only high if you want to live next to the beach, or in the city centre. I live 5 mins form the beach, and have paid the same kinda price for a house I would have bought in the UK

The cost of living is the same as in the UK

I earn more here than I did on the oil rigs in the North Sea

Australia is no more racist than the UK, except in Oz we dont get any of the sectarian bigitory

jobs are a plenty in the oil and gas industry. Gorgan, Pluto, Wheatstone, Devils Creek are just some of the multi-billion dollar projects currently underway. Chevron are rumored to pay 20% more than everyone else to hire tradesmen for the Gorgan project. Woodside are the highest payers in the world for tradesmen. Apache will match everyone else's salary scales except Woodside.

Warm, sunny, my kids can be kids, I surf and dive as much as I can.

Same shit, warm country
Great if you have relevant experience. Its pretty hard to get in if you havent worked in oil before. Ditto for may other industries.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tomy2tums
Warm, sunny, my kids can be kids...
What were your kids being in the UK? Dogs? Cats?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 1:40 pm
ABCDiamond

exactly - either you go to the more inconvenient areas (2 cars required, hours of commuting to work or just plain dodgy/ugly) or you pay $700k + for a 'nice' area and and a house that needs knocking down.
Forget enjoying the lovely bars or coffee houses in the inner city if you have to drive an hour to get home...
mind you - Im no expert like some...I was only born and raised here...
At least the travel time would be less than I did in the UK

Old Jul 12th 2009, 1:46 pm
ABCDiamond

Your'e not still flogging the western suburbs?
Not flogging, .... trying to compare. I didn't think it was confusing...

And you do have to remember that the Western Suburbs are a major part of Sydney...
A large proportion of Sydney’s population, about 2 million people, live in the Westerns Suburbs which is the largest geographic area of Sydney.
That is almost half of the Sydney population live in the Western Suburbs.

Old Jul 12th 2009, 2:56 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
What were your kids being in the UK? Dogs? Cats?
Baby goats?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Not flogging, .... trying to compare. I didn't think it was confusing...

And you do have to remember that the Western Suburbs are a major part of Sydney...
That is almost half of the Sydney population live in the Western Suburbs.
And most dont want to be there...

I mean, you moved from there - and not to the QLD equiv, but to a much nicer foreshore area...
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
At least the travel time would be less than I did in the UK
Bully for you - unfortunately for some, this is not the case. My travel time in UK was much shorter and we didnt need a car at all, even with kids.

Look - no one is slagging Oz or you, but as a friend of mine says, it's all about how you land on your feet. If your circumstances improve, then great. If you can afford the nice house by the beach, great. If you find a decent fulfilling job and have time for the kids and money to go out and enjoy yourself then fantastic. Just remember though that some people have a much harder time.
Some are able to semi-retire, or buy homes outright, or work from home or whatever. But how about those who cant get licences for work, whose spouses choose to live here, who cant get work, or work so hard they have no time for the 'lifestyle'. How about those who can only afford to buy homes in the outer burbs and can't be selective about schools, or those whose pay goes straight into childcare. What about the many whose careers stall, or health suffers?
There is a not so nice side to Oz too. And please note that not all suburbs are equal and a cheaper house in the outer burbs is generally cheaper for a reason.

Im very happy that you have fallen on your feet. Im happier that I too have (in a much more modest way), but please spare a thought for some who dont want to come all the way to Oz to live in Blacktown.
It's just a thought. And yes - I know you have an answer for everything, but perhaps you could round your information out a teeny bit.

From 'a concerned' friend.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

exactly - either you go to the more inconvenient areas (2 cars required, hours of commuting to work or just plain dodgy/ugly) or you pay $700k + for a 'nice' area and and a house that needs knocking down.
Forget enjoying the lovely bars or coffee houses in the inner city if you have to drive an hour to get home...
mind you - Im no expert like some...I was only born and raised here...
We do appear to have arrived at very similar conclusions with regards to this. In my case do live in the inner city in Perth for the reasons given in part,but the vibe is still very wanting and as a result of that it almost wouldn't matter if had lived in the burbs as would have had a far bigger area both inside and outdoors.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:16 am
ABCDiamond

Bully for you - unfortunately for some, this is not the case. My travel time in UK was much shorter and we didnt need a car at all, even with kids.

Look - no one is slagging Oz or you, but as a friend of mine says, it's all about how you land on your feet. If your circumstances improve, then great. If you can afford the nice house by the beach, great. If you find a decent fulfilling job and have time for the kids and money to go out and enjoy yourself then fantastic. Just remember though that some people have a much harder time.
Some are able to semi-retire, or buy homes outright, or work from home or whatever. But how about those who cant get licences for work, whose spouses choose to live here, who cant get work, or work so hard they have no time for the 'lifestyle'. How about those who can only afford to buy homes in the outer burbs and can't be selective about schools, or those whose pay goes straight into childcare. What about the many whose careers stall, or health suffers?
There is a not so nice side to Oz too. And please note that not all suburbs are equal and a cheaper house in the outer burbs is generally cheaper for a reason.

Im very happy that you have fallen on your feet. Im happier that I too have (in a much more modest way), but please spare a thought for some who dont want to come all the way to Oz to live in Blacktown.
It's just a thought. And yes - I know you have an answer for everything, but perhaps you could round your information out a teeny bit.

From 'a concerned' friend.
This is where comparisons are very difficult, as there are so many differences between the two countries.

From when I lived in the Sydney western suburbs I knew many Brits who had moved there and felt it was a great improvement over their previous lifestyle.

In my area out there, 4% were British born, which is the same as NSW as an entirety, so it isn't as if Brits don't move there.

Obviously when we talk about the "Better Off Brits" who want something a bit better than the average, then I agree, the average areas are not going to be suitable for them.

But I tend to look at the average a lot. And a lot of average people tend to live in areas such as Western Sydney. Then as things improve for them, they are able to move to more desirable areas if they so wish.

Old Jul 13th 2009, 4:17 am
ABCDiamond

Yes and as proved the other day - no refund on faulty goods either
Faulty goods within warranty period should always be able to be exchanged or refunded, and in my experience have been.

Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nessyp
Good reply bogan
Ive just bough a 3 by 1 10 minutes walk to the ocean and 15 minutes drive into perth, i bought for $350000 )
Sorry, I think you are bluffing on the price here. It must be a unit or retirement home, tiny duplex? I cannot think of ANYWHERE in Perth, 10 minutes walk to ocean, 15 minutes drive to City for $350K. Please tell me what suburb. as I don't believe you.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.