Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australia better than Canada?

Australia better than Canada?

Old Apr 17th 2013, 2:33 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia better than Canada?

Originally Posted by Shard
I disagree. I would say Canada is about 1.5 times better than Oz, and the Britain is 2.0 times better than Canada, making Britain in fact 3.0 times better than Oz!

Although I have never been to Perth, I cannot fathom any European choosing to isolate themselves to that extent. Eastern Oz is bad enough (too far from anywhere) but at least there is a smattering of beautiful cities and some density.
Good job opinions are like arseholes then isn't it!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 2:49 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

I disagree. I would say Canada is about 1.5 times better than Oz, and the Britain is 2.0 times better than Canada, making Britain in fact 3.0 times better than Oz!

Although I have never been to Perth, I cannot fathom any European choosing to isolate themselves to that extent. Eastern Oz is bad enough (too far from anywhere) but at least there is a smattering of beautiful cities and some density.
I've been to OZ and more specifically to Perth and I totally agree.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:05 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
I've been to OZ and more specifically to Perth and I totally agree.
Been to Sydney but not Perth.

At least Canada has the USA below it and is not too far to fly back to Britain.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:24 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Good job opinions are like arseholes then isn't it!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 3:53 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Been to Sydney but not Perth.

At least Canada has the USA below it and is not too far to fly back to Britain.
Personally don't think that's much of a selling point. But these people who move to out to OZ must have much stronger intestinal fortitude than me. The environment is one thing, but life's got to be too short to have to listen to that awful Australian twang for more than a minute.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 5:14 pm
Last resort... format c:/

Location: Singapore to Surfers Paradise to... Tenerife... to Gran Canaria!
astera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond reputeastera has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JBJ14
So close for travel to Europe, USA and of course the rest of Canada. Here in Perth it's pretty much Bali or Adelaide for a flight under 4 hours!
Location-wise I would put Perth well-ahead when it comes to international destinations. IMO that's the main drawback about North America, it's simply far away from most of the interesting places... barring the Caribbean perhaps. And I would take Bali or many of the other destinations close to Australia over any place close to NA.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 5:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by astera
Location-wise I would put Perth well-ahead when it comes to international destinations. IMO that's the main drawback about North America, it's simply far away from most of the interesting places... barring the Caribbean perhaps. And I would take Bali or many of the other destinations close to Australia over any place close to NA.
For Bali the Bahamas makes a good substitute.

There are plenty of interesting locations in Asia, true, but not that close. Tokyo is 10 hours away, for instance. And at the end of the day, Asia is not Europe.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 7:21 pm
Just Joined

melrodrigues will become famous soon enoughmelrodrigues will become famous soon enough

Hey Japonica...I'm in Edmonton too (well, Sherwood Park) and my husband/two young kids are planning on migrating to Brisbane....application is now 7 months in so should hear soon. I keep coming across your name and story on these forums. I found it interesting that you had family to go to (as do I...my mum is Australian and mum/dad retired from Wetaskiwin to the Gold Coast and now Hervey Bay).

I hear ya about wanting spring to come ANYDAY NOW. This weather is frustrating...you aren't missing anything!
Old Apr 17th 2013, 7:35 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Airborne_Dan
My reasons for wanting to move overseas are to live somewhere less over crowded, lower crime rates and somewhere decent to bring up a family.
Less crowded in Canada possibly, depending on where you're moving from and to, but more murders per capita in Canada than the UK, and the UK is also somewhere 'decent to bring up a family'.

Tbh, if they're your only reasons for moving you might as well move to Shropshire.

Good luck deciding.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 8:58 pm
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

For Bali the Bahamas makes a good substitute.

There are plenty of interesting locations in Asia, true, but not that close. Tokyo is 10 hours away, for instance. And at the end of the day, Asia is not Europe.
these issues dont bother me.

think of your DAILY life, not your once-a-year travels.

would you be travelling every day or even every month for this to matter?
Old Apr 17th 2013, 9:50 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Budawang
Many Canadians seem to think Vancouver is some kind of Shangri-La, but I'm afraid Vancouver really didn't do anything for me. The CBD itself is not particularly attractive - lots of high-rise apartments and fairly bland office buildings. The city's best features are the surrounding mountains which really are impressive and Stanley Park is very nice too. However, I didn't get a good vibe from the city with its depressing, seedy areas and obvious drug culture. When bus drivers don't hand out change, it's not a good sign.

Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa are more interesting than Vancouver. Montreal's got heaps of character with its anglophone and francophone areas, "joie de vivre" and interesting history. For the record, I like most Australian cities too.
Agree 100%.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melrodrigues
Hey Japonica...I'm in Edmonton too (well, Sherwood Park) and my husband/two young kids are planning on migrating to Brisbane....application is now 7 months in so should hear soon. I keep coming across your name and story on these forums. I found it interesting that you had family to go to (as do I...my mum is Australian and mum/dad retired from Wetaskiwin to the Gold Coast and now Hervey Bay).

I hear ya about wanting spring to come ANYDAY NOW. This weather is frustrating...you aren't missing anything!
From Wetaskiwin to Hervey Bay, I'd call that a move up.

Good luck with your move. Feel free to send me (or Dorothy, who is also a Canuck) a message if you have any questions about the Canada to Oz move.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Personally don't think that's much of a selling point. But these people who move to out to OZ must have much stronger intestinal fortitude than me. The environment is one thing, but life's got to be too short to have to listen to that awful Australian twang for more than a minute.
Surely our Canadian accents must be equally awful.

The first sentence shows that you've become more Canadian than you'd previously realized. Quick, leave now, it may be reversible.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:19 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

I cannot fathom any European choosing to isolate themselves to that extent.
The benefit of living on an isolated continent surrounded by water will become clearer as time passes, especially in terms of uncontrolled pollution in the northern hemisphere, increases nuclear leaks and mass third world illegal immigration. While I would live in Canada happily, my Australian citizenship is very valuable to me, because I wouldn't want to be in Canada when the US economy collapses, for example. Canada might be able to get an advantage out of this, but then again, it might not.
Old Apr 17th 2013, 11:20 pm
Yo

Originally Posted by Budawang
Many Canadians seem to think Vancouver is some kind of Shangri-La, but I'm afraid Vancouver really didn't do anything for me. The CBD itself is not particularly attractive - lots of high-rise apartments and fairly bland office buildings. The city's best features are the surrounding mountains which really are impressive and Stanley Park is very nice too. However, I didn't get a good vibe from the city with its depressing, seedy areas and obvious drug culture. When bus drivers don't hand out change, it's not a good sign.

Montreal, Quebec City and Ottawa are more interesting than Vancouver. Montreal's got heaps of character with its anglophone and francophone areas, "joie de vivre" and interesting history. For the record, I like most Australian cities too.
Generally agree with you, but I don't know why so many choose to focus on the fact that Vancouver has some seedy areas. All large cities have there no-go areas, and somehow Vancouver is held up to a perfection standard. It's fairly easy to avoid the seedy parts of Vancouver if anyone wants to.

Perhaps the Shangri-La aspect simply has to do with a temperate climate. When other Canadian cities still have a couple months of winter left, Vancouver is starting to bloom.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.