Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arriving next month, need som advice on areas! QLD

Arriving next month, need som advice on areas! QLD

Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:50 am
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arriving next month, need som advice on areas! QLD

Originally Posted by betsyboob
Would it be a good idea to base ourselves closer to Brisbane? Looked at Redcliffe, believe this is only half an hour away from Caloundra anyway.
.......and the rest.

This might be a stupid question, but have you actually done any research beforehand or done a reccie??
Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

stumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nicestumpysean is just really nice

I'm in a quandry whether to apply for the hairdressers course on the Gold coast or the one actually in Brisbane!

I have 2 boys ages 10 and 8 and because we've never been to Queensland am finding it difficult to decide on what area to base ourselves. At the moment, we are used to a 'sleepy' Suffolk village and am worried that moving to the Gold coast is too much of a contrast! Would we be better going nearer Brisbane but liivng in one of the suburbs and me commuting into the college (im going on a student visa)?

Any suburb suggestions?
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

minibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud ofminibelle has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Demented Ferret
Worked at Sippy Downs,big problems with new builds, a big part of it was built on Marsh land (Not Good). You need a snorkle when it rains,
Thanks for the tip, does this mean i will be able to fill my pool for free i may have to give it another think and leave sippy downs for the students.

minibelle
Old Jul 14th 2008, 11:18 pm
Just Joined

jaqd is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by betsyboob
Hi all, got flights booked and need to arrange accom, loads available.

We are a bit confused. We are a family of 4 , 2 adults and 2 boys 1&4yrs. Looking for somewhere near the beach, good primary schools and enough amenities on our doorsteps, also a 3bd for around $400k.

We plan to go to gold coast for a week or so to get a feel of the south and then plan to head up to the sunshine coast as we really like the sound of Buderim/Caloundra and possibly further north to Noosa....but, this is all dependant on jobs of course, OH is a plumber and i will be a part timer.

I don't know whether to base ourselves on the sunshine coast for a month, but then if we really don't like it we will be stuck there......

Would it be a good idea to base ourselves closer to Brisbane? Looked at Redcliffe, believe this is only half an hour away from Caloundra anyway.

Any info or experiences shared would be really useful, any ideas on areas on sunshine coast or surrounding brisbane would be good.
Hi there - we live in caloundra...I am in real estate so can probably advise on house prices...you will struggle for 400 unless you get a shack -but you could buy land and build for around 500 and get a 4 bed detached on Pelican..
If you need any advice on currency or other stuff drop us a line - my husband is a international recruiter and can point you in the right direction
Old Jul 16th 2008, 7:20 am
Just Joined

oli6969uk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sutty77
Hi
My other half is a brickie too and we looking at redcliffe area. Can i ask what the wages are out there for a good brickie???
Would be really useful to know.
Thanks, Mandy
the wages here are pretty good, ranging from $35 - $45 per hour. not many places give out full time contracts so most brickies are self employed and give invoices to the company they work for. always start early to avoid heat in the afternoon, 6-30 to 2-30, some people start earlier in the summer as it gets very hot

just have to watch out for wet days, been rained off a few times since i started but plenty of chances to do overtime so just make the most of it whilst its good
Old Jul 16th 2008, 9:24 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Bloke
.......and the rest.

This might be a stupid question, but have you actually done any research beforehand or done a reccie??

Who ruffled your feathers???????????