Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Old Aug 3rd 2013, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of living

Originally Posted by Beoz
After reading all this and slashing my wrists somehow I still manage to save more in Oz. .... ... go figure
We are the same as you, two years in australia we have more saved than we managed in 4 years together in the UK
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 6:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
What do Australian pensioners get? Comparing like with like.
I believe its based on how much other income you have. Meaning you can still get a pension of a certain amount if your source of super os lower enough. Not sure of exact details though.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 6:37 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I believe its based on how much other income you have. Meaning you can still get a pension of a certain amount if your source of super os lower enough. Not sure of exact details though.
Centre link gives the maximum payment for age pension as £733 fortnight, but you can get a supplement on top (didn't check how much though). Didn't look to see if you would get rent allowance on top of that though.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 6:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bikergirl
We are the same as you, two years in australia we have more saved than we managed in 4 years together in the UK
That said, I was chatting with a few expat engineers recently who are thinking of returning to the UK because of the limiting opportunities in Oz due to the recent downturn in the mining sector. Whilst they are employed, and the salary is good compared to what the were earning 3 years ago in the UK, pay rises are not happening, the opportunity to grow the career is not there, other companies are not hiring preventing moving for career growth and pay increases, and the value of the Oz dollar is coming down. For myself I always look at plan B, and I must admit, plan B for me looks like it would be in the UK. I just can't see any opportunities at the moment in Oz for what I do. Though I do a very unique thing.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 8:22 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
How Many pensioners in the Uk are ssurving on 90 quid a week? All of them or a minority?
I would imagine not many as that is only the start of what they get, it is topped up with all sorts of other payments.
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 8:48 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
I would imagine not many as that is only the start of what they get, it is topped up with all sorts of other payments.
post #135
Old Aug 3rd 2013, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Aussie Age pension, you get a base payment plus a pharmaceutical allowance, plus a untilities allowance. If you are also renting you can get a rent assistance payment and the whole lot adds up to around $930 a fortnight.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

You don't automatically get $733 pension. The amount you get depends on your assets. These include furniture, car, jewellery and how much you have in super and bank accounts. If you have more than a set amount you get no pension. Pharmacy benefit: you pay $5.90 per script, electricity: $50 approx off the quarterly bill, water: $148 approx off quarterly bill, reduction of rego cost, rate reduction depends on council, phone depends on telco. If you don't qualify for a pension you don't get any of these reductions. I think the cut off figure for a single home owner is $640k can't remember what it is for a couple. Can't remember how little you have to have before you get the full pension.

Last edited by Gibbo; Aug 4th 2013 at 4:21 pm.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:27 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
Aussie Age pension, you get a base payment plus a pharmaceutical allowance, plus a untilities allowance. If you are also renting you can get a rent assistance payment and the whole lot adds up to around $930 a fortnight.
No wonder our taxes are so high
Old Aug 4th 2013, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
No wonder our taxes are so high
With all the conditions that have to be met before you get anything I would say that it is only those who have spent their lives on the dole who get that amount!
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

Not at all, very many elderly people worked hard all their lives but there was no compulsory super - a lot of people I know worked for the likes of local councils, the railways or labouring and accumulated princely sums such as $80k after 20 years in a job. That's the way it was. I worked for Rothmans for 15 years and came out with $27k. Outstanding.

Investment in the share market was difficult as you had to go through brokers who would sneer at anything like a modern equivalent of ten grand. From the 1970s onwards the government itself encouraged buying investment properties as a retirement option through negative gearing and many took this up, but not the majority. It's a pity that the Aussie pension was not a contributory scheme such as in the UK and that there was not a pension scheme as such in the major workplaces if you were working for decades with the likes of Holden, the Railways whatever.

Now with gen Y they whine and whinge about the taxes they pay yet in the next breath they squeal that the baby boomers bought all the property. Damned if you did, damned if you didn't.

In any case income tax in Australia is very low after election bribes by successive governments.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 8:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Now you've got me going

People on the dole and pensioners pay more of their income in taxes proportionally than many working people.

Rego is a tax
GST is a tax
Petrol tax is a tax
Alcohol duty is a tax
Rates are a tax

Many people who moan about taxes are really just referring to income tax as if that's all there is, they really never seem to think it through. Which suits the government just fine.
Old Aug 4th 2013, 10:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I'm looking forward to the sequel to this thread - Anyone quitting Aus due to the high cost of dying? ;-)
Old Aug 4th 2013, 11:30 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
Not at all, very many elderly people worked hard all their lives but there was no compulsory super - a lot of people I know worked for the likes of local councils, the railways or labouring and accumulated princely sums such as $80k after 20 years in a job. That's the way it was. I worked for Rothmans for 15 years and came out with $27k. Outstanding.

Investment in the share market was difficult as you had to go through brokers who would sneer at anything like a modern equivalent of ten grand. From the 1970s onwards the government itself encouraged buying investment properties as a retirement option through negative gearing and many took this up, but not the majority. It's a pity that the Aussie pension was not a contributory scheme such as in the UK and that there was not a pension scheme as such in the major workplaces if you were working for decades with the likes of Holden, the Railways whatever.

Now with gen Y they whine and whinge about the taxes they pay yet in the next breath they squeal that the baby boomers bought all the property. Damned if you did, damned if you didn't.

In any case income tax in Australia is very low after election bribes by successive governments.
The disgraceful property situation isn't the fault of the boomers. They own the property because it was more affordable in the past, sure, but there should have been a crash by now to bring it back to the average. There hasn't been a crash because governments can't afford to pay the boomers their pensions, so they are keeping property artificially high to enable them to MEW and so on. That's not the fault of the boomers, but general mismanagement of the economy. It will, of course, all come crashing down one day, but not before the boomers stop voting!
Old Aug 5th 2013, 5:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

In 1971 a home cost 7.5 times a tradesman's yearly income. Is that much less than it costs now?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.