Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

anyone living/moving to Rockingham, WA?

anyone living/moving to Rockingham, WA?

Old Dec 31st 2010, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

-Marie- is on a distinguished road
Default anyone living/moving to Rockingham, WA?

Hi there

we are a family of 5 moving to Rockingham beginning of 2012 we are making our validation trip end of march 2011 and was wondering if there's any people already there or going who would like to have a chat.

thanks for reading and happy new year

Marie x
Old Jan 1st 2011, 5:04 am
Just Joined

Northseatiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: anyone living/moving to Rockingham, WA?

Hi Marie,
Myself and family are going in Sept fingers crossed,providing the house sells. We had our validation trip in September 2010. We have friends who live in rockingham and we had a great holiday-a bit rushed as we only stayed 2 weeks, but good all the same.
The only thing I would say is I was quite suprised how quiet it was but there is a new marina being built this year with it new cafes,bars etc.
Good luck and enjoy your holiday.
Old Jan 1st 2011, 7:34 am
Just Joined

Sandra P is a jewel in the roughSandra P is a jewel in the roughSandra P is a jewel in the roughSandra P is a jewel in the rough

Hi Marie
I live in Safety Bay just the other side of the road from Rockingham. It has all the usual, beach which is lovely and really safe for kids, big shopping centre and schools. But can be very quiet at night and in winter you will see no one down around foreshore. But still love it.

Sandra
Old Jan 1st 2011, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Soon to be Baldivis... Enjoy your validation trip...Oh and there's a couple of Rockingham threads on here (good ones and some train wrecks as well) if you'd like some light reading.
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 12:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

daunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond reputedaunted has a reputation beyond repute

Rockingham itself or one of the suburbs? Rockingham has a lovely beach, fab icecream shop and a really lovely beach front restaurant. Other than that?
Having said that there are some lovely areas surrounding Rockingham without being in the town itself.
Having spent much time there lately reminded me of where i lived in the UK with the late night trouble, only bonus was the sunshine
Old Jan 6th 2011, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

mrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to all

Originally Posted by daunted
Rockingham itself or one of the suburbs? Rockingham has a lovely beach, fab icecream shop and a really lovely beach front restaurant. Other than that?
Having said that there are some lovely areas surrounding Rockingham without being in the town itself.
Having spent much time there lately reminded me of where i lived in the UK with the late night trouble, only bonus was the sunshine
you have to come and see rockingham for yourself to decide if it's for you and your family,it works for my family as we have everything close and with teenagers that's great,we live in central rockingham on a lovely and very friendly estate.
Old Jan 7th 2011, 4:09 am
Forum Regular

saxtonj is on a distinguished road

We looked at Rockingham and Safety Bay when we first arrived. Didn't like it one bit. Didn't like the look of it myself. Seemed very English Seaside town!

But that's just my opinion and it does work for quite a lot of people. The only people I know there are English, and it does have a high percentage of english residents by all accounts, which kinda put me off a bit. I moved 100,000 miles, didn't fancy living in little england.

When we drove through looking around we also saw quite a lot of teens roaming the streets in packs, bunch of old commodores and falcon's being driven around with youths in. Just didn't get a good vibe with the place. Sorry to all those Rockingham (and surrounding areas) residents, but it is what i saw on both occasions i visited when looking for somewhere to live.

We also visited again recently (as we were looking at a particular display home in Baldivis) and still reminded me of an English Seaside town. Loads of people on the beach, dodgy foreshore shops, commodores and Falcons or Ute's burning up the street etc. Didn't like it myself.

But others probably see it differently and say you get that everywhere in WA. May be true, but it just seemed to be more prevalent when I've visited Rockingham.....

Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

rockingham has a "bad" reputation... Lol... And lets keep it that way... we are a family of 6 and love it here... We live in a very well kept secret area, where the vast majority are Australians... Apart from the odd welsh family

historically rockingham was a piss poor pommie shanty town (quoting an australian mate who lives here) with NOTHING.. But now qe're "getting there" ... there are plenty of older style large blocked properties (like ours) as well as the choice to buy shiney newish build. local private schools arn't oversubscribed (ours ar all in the state system)

There are good community facilities, sporting clubs and facilities.... Lots for the kids... And for families... As for hoons tearing up the tarmac... You get these EVERYWHERE... Tho I can honestly say there isnt a single donut on our estate... The shopping is the same as anywhere in WA... Average... Which imho is a bonus...

Good transport links to perth, free carparking Its great... We have a dome or two now... And the marina is bringing new money in.. (not that I like the idea..) fantastic beach... What. More canyou ask for??? And houses are still less expensive than other areas...
Old Jan 9th 2011, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

mrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to allmrs i is a name known to all

Coulnt have put it better myself,they are a lovely welsh family too!!
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:30 pm
Just Joined

Sandra P is a jewel in the roughSandra P is a jewel in the roughSandra P is a jewel in the roughSandra P is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by eddie007
rockingham has a "bad" reputation... Lol... And lets keep it that way... we are a family of 6 and love it here... We live in a very well kept secret area, where the vast majority are Australians... Apart from the odd welsh family

historically rockingham was a piss poor pommie shanty town (quoting an australian mate who lives here) with NOTHING.. But now qe're "getting there" ... there are plenty of older style large blocked properties (like ours) as well as the choice to buy shiney newish build. local private schools arn't oversubscribed (ours ar all in the state system)

There are good community facilities, sporting clubs and facilities.... Lots for the kids... And for families... As for hoons tearing up the tarmac... You get these EVERYWHERE... Tho I can honestly say there isnt a single donut on our estate... The shopping is the same as anywhere in WA... Average... Which imho is a bonus...

Good transport links to perth, free carparking Its great... We have a dome or two now... And the marina is bringing new money in.. (not that I like the idea..) fantastic beach... What. More canyou ask for??? And houses are still less expensive than other areas...
Totally agree, have friends over NOR and anytime I stay with them I feel as if houses are on top of each other and no privacy. Just love where I am at the moment in Safety Bay with fantastic Aussie neighbours.

Sandra
Old Jan 10th 2011, 2:24 am
Forum Regular

fisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nice

I agree with Eddie and Sandra.

We live in Safety Bay and have been here nearly 4 months and really like the area. You have everything you need or could want within 10 mins. This area has more space, larger blocks and a lot more character than the "Stepford Wives/Keeping up with the Jones'" regimented new estates.

As for 'dodgy people', there are a few places we have driven through which we wouldn't live but you will find places like that everywhere. We have all Aussie neighbours who have been really helpful and I can say I haven't heard very many English accents.

I hope you find what you are looking for
Old Jan 10th 2011, 11:18 am
Just Joined

How is everything Mandy hope you and the family had a lovely Christmas.

Sandra
Old Jan 11th 2011, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

fisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nicefisher lass is just really nice

And you.

Had a really nice time but it just felt weird!! lol
Old Jan 11th 2011, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

-Marie- is on a distinguished road

to everyone

just wanted to say a big thank you to all who posted i appreciate all the replies good and bad,

of course when i come i will keep an open mind and decide if its for me or not but its been said that all us cockneys are bit dodgy so i think i will fit right in......... lmao

heard lots of good things about safety bay so think will have a good nosey all around when we get there................just waiting for pay dasy to book flights!!!!!!!!

,marie xx