Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone lived in NZ?

Anyone lived in NZ?

Old Jun 14th 2010, 12:36 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Anyone lived in NZ?

Originally Posted by JAJ
The option to apply for permanent residence is always there, especially if eligible for employer nomination.
Having NZ citizenship doesn't help you a great deal with ENS over someone from another country does it?

Originally Posted by JAJ
, it's not quite as simple as saying "unless you came here before 2001".
I appreciate that, however I couldn't be bothered to go into all the details!

BB
Old Jun 15th 2010, 9:15 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone lived in NZ?

We lived in NZ for two years (to the day!) before hopping the ditch and setting up home in Newcastle, Australia for seven months ... before hopping the ditch back to set up home in the Waikato, NZ. To be honest, on reflection there's lots that I like/love/dislike/hate about all three places I've lived but on balance I do prefer NZ to raise kids ... but only because my particular circumstance dictate a need to live off one modest income and be situated near a university. In those circumstances NZ offers a really brilliant lifestyle with top schooling and opportunities for young kids and great uni education. I like the climate in NZ in summer better and in spring, autumn and winter I prefer NSW. I didn't leave any of the areas I lived in saying I hated them and could easily big each one up to a potential immigrant. I doubt I'll make old bones in NZ, but I wouldn't be that surprised if this is where I am in 20 years, although I'm pretty sure I'll do another stretch on the third island (yes, that's Oz!) before my wanderlust burns out.

So, I think I'm saying- why not move to Australia? I'm in the Waikato and Sydney is a shorter flight away from me than Perth is from Sydney or Darwin. Apart from the hassle of immigration it's quite fun trying new places, so if you've got the opportunity and the itchy feet- GO FOR IT, but never say never about returning to NZ and don't burn your bridges (get that IRRV firmly stuck in)
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:14 am
J-J
Just Joined

J-J is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved from UK to NZ in 2004. We lived in Wellington for 3 years and then moved to Melbourne. I have 2 children and would move back to Wellington in an instant if I could. I am enjoying life here but I found the lifestyle in NZ much better. We would probably have less money but that doesn't seem to matter in NZ. I love the quiet laid back life. I made much better friends in NZ. I would find it hard to adjust to the weather. Apart from the very hot spells in Melbourne, the weather is generally great. The thing stopping us is work opportunities for my husband. But I still hope we'll get back there one day.
Old Jun 17th 2010, 1:55 am
Forum Regular

OzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really niceOzzieGunner is just really nice

We lived in Auckland for 6 years the prior 30 years were spent in London. Then in 2000 we moved to Melbourne for better career opportunities. Wife and I now have 2 kids both Aussies

NZ is Ok but to be honest a bit to sleepy for me, I can still remember staying in Queen St the first night in NZ and asked a cabbie to take me to the city, he drove 200 Metres down the road and said "this is it". You could have emptied an AK47 down the road and not hit anyone.

Anyway Aus cities = better weather, more money, more opportunities, better shopping, arts, sport, infrastructure, public transport.

NZ cities = more relaxed, easier commute, nicer scenery, generally things more accessible because the country is smaller.

Oz more exciting
NZ more relaxing

Pete
Old Jun 17th 2010, 3:42 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzzieGunner
Anyway Aus cities = better weather, more money, more opportunities, better shopping, arts, sport, infrastructure, public transport.

NZ cities = more relaxed, easier commute, nicer scenery, generally things more accessible because the country is smaller.

Oz more exciting
NZ more relaxing

Pete
That is a brilliant post
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:30 am
Just Joined

zebbedy is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks to everyone who have shared their advice so far. It is all really interesting and please continue to share your views and experiences.

At the moment we are planning to move over in 12 months time. As Bourbon said "Why not move" at the end of the day it's not going to be a million miles to move back here. I'm always cautious about the grass being greener on the other side. So far it has been.

Now we just need to decide on where in Aussie to move too Much will depend on work I guess. We'll try to get a couple of visits in at least before making our minds up. I'll pop to the Flight Centre next week to see what offers are going on.

NZ is a great place no doubt. Laid back and relaxed for the most part. We are on the south island with even less people but as you would expect, this caters for less people and although we like the atmosphere, there has to be something said for better pay, more choice and more opportunity.

Hope to hear more from you guys as and when and thanks once more to all that have given their time to reply so far
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:37 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zebbedy
there has to be something said for better pay, more choice and more opportunity.
1000 Kiwis a week crossing the Tasman can't be wrong. (actually they can, but not about this particular matter)

BB
Old Jun 17th 2010, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

Guest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really niceGuest is just really nice

Originally Posted by OzzieGunner

Oz more exciting
NZ more relaxing
South Wales - Southland - Queensland. I'd go back in a heart beat but top of the South Island/bottom of the North simply for the seasons. OzzieGunner post sums it up for us. (One drive to Queenstown one evening we didn't see another car for 2 hours.!!!)
Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:47 am
Living on the Gold Coast

Spellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to beholdSpellbound is a splendid one to behold

This question pops up a lot! Plenty of us around to answer.

We had four years in NZ - Auckland. We had hobbies such as fishing and camping and enjoyed getting out and about, but it was too cold in the winter, so we ended up sitting indoors hibernating for at least 4 months of the year under blankets and with the electric heaters on (sitting on the heaters!). We much preferred NZ to the UK, its a lovely country but there was something missing, we were just too cold living in NZ and always struggling financially, so we decided to look at moving to Aus.

So without even 'trying' Australia, after a bit of internet research, we just knew Aus would be for us. It is a bit of a sideways move from NZ to be honest, as there are lots of similarities, but with more consumerism (I know not everyone's cup of tea but a positive to us), more choice, things to do, more income, less tax and much nicer weather.

We could have applied for NZ Citizenship and come over that way but as we had enough points to apply for permanent residency of Australia and that's where we wanted to be, we did that instead for more long term security. We do have IRRV for NZ, although we would never go back there now.

We live on the Gold Coast, we get to enjoy all the things that we did in NZ, such as camping and fishing but get to do them all year around. We only put the A/C onto heat once last winter and although we brought our electric heaters with us, we haven't used them at all.

We earn a lot more money here in Aus, our rent is less too and generally the living expenses are slightly cheaper for us overall, we have more disposable income, so we are in a win/win situation and we love the flora, fauna and weather!

For us, there is more vibrancy too and our 19yr old who thought of herself as a New Zealander (13 yrs when we moved there) is now calling NZ - one giant farm! She is enjoying the day/night life the gold coast has to offer.

We have friends who spent 5 years in Auckland then came here to the Gold Coast. 1 year later they are back over in NZ for good as they decided that Australia just wasn't for them and they are now very happy. So Australia is not for everyone, but we are very happy to be here and call it home.

Last edited by Spellbound; Jun 17th 2010 at 11:51 am. Reason: double up editing
Old Jun 17th 2010, 7:54 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by Spellbound

....living in NZ and always struggling financially, so we decided to look at moving to Aus.

NZ, ........ we would never go back there now.

We earn a lot more money here in Aus,

the living expenses are slightly cheaper for us overall,

we have more disposable income,

there is more vibrancy too

Amen to the shopping list above!!!

BB
Old Jun 17th 2010, 11:13 pm
Just Joined

EmmaKate is an unknown quantity at this point

We are also thinking of doing this with our 8 month old daughter. At the moment Adelaide is the favourite. Whilst a lot of people refer to it as a big country town for us it looks like the best option. Not only is housing affordable but you can have a real shot at a nice house by the beach.

Quote from The Economic Intelligence Unit: Adelaide is a more affordable city to live in than most other Australian capital cities. In particular, the costs of accommodation and transportation are significantly less than in Sydney or Melbourne.

Statistics show that it costs 24% more to live in Sydney, 21% more in Melbourne, 12% more in Perth and 8% more in Brisbane.

The salaries in turn are NOT 24% less in Sydney etc so your disposable income is higher.

My other half has been approached about a job in Melbourne but the accommodation costs may deter us.

The key thing for me though is being able to take Lola to the beach and for walks in the country. Yes I am a West Country Girl at heart!

We're currently in Auckland and have been forced to move to a less desirable suburb for financial reasons. I really don't feel safe where we are, 2 armed robberies in the last couple of weeks. Yes, I know all cities have bad areas but why stick where you're not happy if there's an opportunity to change and create a better life for yourself.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 1:08 am
Just Joined

Hi EmmaKate

We've thought about Adelaide too. From what you wrote it sounds ideal. Most jobs around my occupation have been WA or Melbourne and Brisbane but that's only after having a quick look. We dont usually plan 12 months ahead but now having two wee ones both under 3, we're considering the future.
I've only visited Auckland but see it many times on the news. As you said, every city has it's problems. It's hard to find that compromise of safe environment, plenty of activities, good housing and disposable income! I can't really consider downsizing here. Everything will remain the same but we'll live in a smaller house in a not so nice area. = Unhappy For us like many people in NZ we'll take that opportunity and move while we can.

Now we are actually planning and doing some research things are looking up We are even planning a trip back to the UK inbetween moves which we would never be able to afford normally. Which reminds me.......are Bisto Gravy Granuals available in Aussie

Thanks and good luck.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 2:21 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Having NZ citizenship doesn't help you a great deal with ENS over someone from another country does it?
Makes a huge difference - as long as you have a skilled occupation - as you can get to Australia to find a job, ask the employer to sponsor for ENS, start work while waiting, and find another job if employer refuses.

For the purpose of avoiding the skill assessment, if you want to wait 2 years, the 444 (NZ citizen) and 461 visas count the same as the 457.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 4:34 am
Just Joined

Hey JAJ,

I thought we had sorted this out. This thread is about comparing life in NZ to Aussie. As you can see from the replies, most people get the idea.

"Has anyone made the move from NZ to Australia and if so what do you think? Where did you move to and why?"

Skilled occupations, ENS, skill assessments, 444, 461, 457 and 1234567 should perhaps belong to another thread.

I'm sure it's all good information. Just not what I'm looking for.

Cheers
Old Jun 18th 2010, 6:58 am
Victorian Evangelist

Originally Posted by EmmaKate
Adelaide is the favourite. Whilst a lot of people refer to it as a big country town for us it looks like the best option.

We're currently in Auckland
Bear in mind Emma that the population of Adelaide and Auckland is about the same, what is the biggest city in NZ is just a big country town in Oz!!!

BB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.