Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone lived in NZ?

Anyone lived in NZ?

Old Jun 12th 2010, 11:29 pm
Just Joined

zebbedy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone lived in NZ?

Hi, We moved from the UK to NZ nearly 5 years ago. Now with two children we are thinking of a move to Australia. Reasons are mainly better opportunities for the children although some nicer all round weather wouldn't go amiss

Has anyone made the move from NZ to Australia and if so what do you think? Where did you move to and why?

Cheers folks
Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone lived in NZ?

Have you got your New Zealand citizenship?

If no, then your status in NZ means nothing in Australia.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 1:50 am
Just Joined

Hi JAJ,

Thanks for the reply. That's not what I was asking though. Although for anyone else reading and considedring moving from NZ to Australia without NZ citizenship or Australian residency/work permits etc..........they would have to go through the normal immigration channels.

Cheers.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 2:45 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zebbedy
Hi JAJ,

Thanks for the reply. That's not what I was asking though.
It may not have been what you were asking, but the forum is open for related comments and observations.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 4:36 am
Just Joined

Hi JAJ,

"Has anyone made the move from NZ to Australia and if so what do you think? Where did you move to and why?" is what I asked.

Having citizenship here in NZ is hardly related to that question.

On the other hand I concede to the fact that for anyone considering moving countries it might be a good idea to research the possibilities and check immigration requirements first.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 9:03 am
Just Joined

Welly-2-Oz is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We moved from the UK to NZ in May 2008 and from NZ to Sydney in Aug 2009. We loved NZ as tourists (and visited 3 times in 5 years without considering ever moving to live there), then a work opportunity came up and we moved to Wellington. 14 months in NZ made us realise that while the Kiwis are great and the outdoors life awesome (especially if, like us, you love mountains) the work market is too small and life is far too expensive relative to income which (in our case) was considerably lower than in the UK. To cut a long story short, we love Sydney, enjoy the great weather and our income is more in line with our needs. We do miss tramping in NZ and will visit regularly but for us Sydney (which is like a laid-back, sunny London) is a far better choice. Having said all that, we do not have children, so perhaps other replies will give you more relevant info (-:

Cheers and good luck
Old Jun 13th 2010, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Hi Welly
Thanks for that. It sounds like you were in the situation we are in minus the children
It IS great here. We are comparing it to the UK of course. Along with the mountains, no traffic, less people etc come the downside of less opportunity. Cost of living is high here relative to income. I've always said it's the price you pay for having so few people and less crime etc. We couldn't go back to the UK but need that extra income as well as opportunity for the children hence why the thought of moving.
Thanks for your point of view and we'll give Sydney a thought.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 12:05 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi zebbedy,

I think what JAJ was trying to clarify was can you get to OZ from NZ? Without NZ citizenship, unless you can get employment in OZ through a skilled line, is it doable?

There are plenty of people who have to my knowledge.

Maybe post a thread in the NZ forum too, as you will find people on there who have done just that. Some have returned to NZ and some still post in the NZ forum to advise on just what you are asking from OZ.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:33 pm
Just Joined

Hi Am Loolah,

In NZ, if you have New Zealand Citizenship you can pack a suitcase and move to Australia to live and work without question. Without that you need to go through the proper immigration channels. It's really as simple as that.

I think JAJ was taking this thread in the wrong direction. I know the immigration requirements and wouldn't have thought about moving without looking them up.

I just wanted views and opinions from people like Welly 2 Oz. We are probably going to move towards the end of this year or maybe next year and need to plan a few visits first. Listening to people who can compare living in Oz and NZ is really helpful.

Good idea to post on the NZ forum though. Hadn't thought of it that way round! Thanks.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 6:43 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I have lived in both. Overall I prefer NZ, but I prefer where I am now to both of them.

Gotta go - will post more later.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:08 pm
Just Joined

Thanks Kiwilass, Thats very interesting. Canada would be our first choice. We've been to Calgary several times and I've had a fleeting visit to Vancouver.

The problem I have there is the immigration process - trying to find a job then getting the employer to go through that department that verifies they can bring someone in from outside to fill the vacancy etc etc. Heaps of hoops to jump through. If we could get work there I'd apply!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:14 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Overall there are more opportunities and jobs in Oz. Oz just felt like a richer country to me - it has all the resources that NZ doesn't really have. This makes a difference. I lived & worked in Melbourne for 4 years and discovered I don't like the heat or the intense UV. I find people minimize that a lot - but actually trudging to work in 36+ in your suit was just as gross as going to work in the rain. ON paper Melbourne had everything you could want in a city, it just didn't work for me. I was glad to leave. Also I found it quite a tense city in some ways. I also didn't gel with the ozzie culture, didn't like the crassness. I know it's allegedly all that great sense of humour (allegedly) but I don't entirely buy that.

NZ - less opportunities for sure, but more laid-back. I prefer the culture there and even now consider it one of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

I was watching relocation down under the other day, wondering if I'd feel a pang when I saw the Australian streetscapes and cities. Nope. I know there are some who find it beautiful, personally it was not the kind of beauty I could get into. I found it drab. What I learnt is that just having more opportunity wasn't enough for me.

You are thinking about the kids, but really, unless something cataclysmic happens they can always move to Australia later if they're so set on more opportunity and they're NZ citizens. Lots of Kiwis do (and lots don't and go other places). I personally wouldn't move for the kids unless there was something really important that NZ lacked for me/or I really loved Oz. In terms of education etc. I'm not sure I agree that Australia is necessarily better.

Anyway. Hope that helped at all.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Jun 13th 2010 at 7:20 pm.
Old Jun 13th 2010, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by zebbedy
Thanks Kiwilass, Thats very interesting. Canada would be our first choice. We've been to Calgary several times and I've had a fleeting visit to Vancouver.

The problem I have there is the immigration process - trying to find a job then getting the employer to go through that department that verifies they can bring someone in from outside to fill the vacancy etc etc. Heaps of hoops to jump through. If we could get work there I'd apply!
Cross posted!

Yes, they don't make it easy to emigrate, though, I don't know if you know this, they have speeded the process up a lot so it's much faster. My sib is looking to emigrate here at the mo and he's just been on a recce and got the offer. So it is doable.

Anyway, it's great that you have so many options!
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:44 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

We lived in NZ. It's a great place to visit for a holiday, as somewhere to live it leaves a lot to be desired, as although the lifestyle may be quite relaxed etc, if you've got no money because the wages are third world and the costs are among the more expensive in the first world then you can't really enjoy the lifestyle.

We moved back to the UK, stayed there for 8 years, then when we had kids we wanted to move down under again to be nearer my wife's family who live in NZ. We have found in Melbourne the best combination of the NZ lifestyle and the western world's economic realities. I earn the same as I did in London (more at the current exchange rate) and the cost of living is about half what it is in NZ. My parents in law from NZ are "gobsmacked" to use their own words at how cheap Australia is compared to NZ, supermarkets, power bills etc. They cannot comprehend how people could earn the wages we do in Oz. They met a few tradesmen when we were building our house and they were simply astounded at the rates they were able to charge.

Australia and NZ are two very very different economies, and therefore by extension two very different lifestyle propositions.

By the way, as far as citizenship goes, if you are living in Australia on an NZ passport, unless you came here before 2001 you will be a perpetually temporary resident. This is not a major on day-to-day practical terms but it can be tricky to explain when you have to answer questions on forms when applying for things and the question is - are you an Australian Citizen / Permament Resident and you have to answer "no".

BB
Old Jun 13th 2010, 11:55 pm
JAJ
Retired

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
By the way, as far as citizenship goes, if you are living in Australia on an NZ passport, unless you came here before 2001 you will be a perpetually temporary resident.
The option to apply for permanent residence is always there, especially if eligible for employer nomination.

Incidentally, it's not quite as simple as saying "unless you came here before 2001".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.