Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Any journalists/writers/pr folk on here?

Any journalists/writers/pr folk on here?

Old Feb 25th 2015, 9:28 pm
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any journalists/writers/pr folk on here?

Originally Posted by criodain
Apologies for the late reply. 10 months later! In the meantime, I finished my masters and am in the process of starting a paid internship until July.
Congratulations on your accomplishment, best of luck on your internship.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Thanks. Ideally, I'd love to be in a "proper" job, but I'm confident this experience will stand to me. Who knows where to next.
Old Feb 25th 2015, 11:39 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

All I can say is I think journalism is dead for the foreseeable. People want a bit of news, but they aren't prepared to pay for it. So what demand there is can be handled by free (or propaganda) services. News journalist is now a stepping stone to corporate PR wonk - which is even more lying for money.

However, you do now have the benefit of ownership of the means of production, such that you don't, as such, need a 'proper job'.

I think whilst doing this internship, I might well get up to speed on a sideline, and given your background and age, I'd probably look at "Business Intelligence".

You pick an up-and-coming area, something just off-the-radar-at-the-moment, and you learn EVERYTHING about it. Who are the players, what are the tech directions, what are the implications, what are the numbers, etc. etc.

You then offer a range of services to companies who hear about this new area, know it's a potential threat/benefit to them, and want to do their due diligence. A variety of offerings; a newsletter on developments ($5k for a years sub say), targeted reports ($20-30k), competitive analysis ($10-15k), etc. - you get your name known as "Mr XXXXX", you write for other periodicals on the basic of the subject, you do conference presentations, etc.

Here your age works for you, and even if you only averaged $5k from each customer, 20 would equal a $100k living. It has very low overheads (if you do it right), and your market is global, so you can live where you like.

And if worst comes to the worst, Mr XXXXX can find a role directing company Ys new XXXXX group.
Old Feb 26th 2015, 3:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michael_w
Don't want to dash your dreams but it's a very difficult time to be a journo in Australia
I think that would be everywhere

An industry/profession with a rocky future
Old Feb 26th 2015, 9:36 am
Forum Regular

criodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud ofcriodain has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by GarryP
All I can say is I think journalism is dead for the foreseeable. People want a bit of news, but they aren't prepared to pay for it. So what demand there is can be handled by free (or propaganda) services. News journalist is now a stepping stone to corporate PR wonk - which is even more lying for money.

However, you do now have the benefit of ownership of the means of production, such that you don't, as such, need a 'proper job'.

I think whilst doing this internship, I might well get up to speed on a sideline, and given your background and age, I'd probably look at "Business Intelligence".

You pick an up-and-coming area, something just off-the-radar-at-the-moment, and you learn EVERYTHING about it. Who are the players, what are the tech directions, what are the implications, what are the numbers, etc. etc.

You then offer a range of services to companies who hear about this new area, know it's a potential threat/benefit to them, and want to do their due diligence. A variety of offerings; a newsletter on developments ($5k for a years sub say), targeted reports ($20-30k), competitive analysis ($10-15k), etc. - you get your name known as "Mr XXXXX", you write for other periodicals on the basic of the subject, you do conference presentations, etc.

Here your age works for you, and even if you only averaged $5k from each customer, 20 would equal a $100k living. It has very low overheads (if you do it right), and your market is global, so you can live where you like.

And if worst comes to the worst, Mr XXXXX can find a role directing company Ys new XXXXX group.
Interesting, and something I had been advised on before. I'm not really looking for a traditional journalism role really. Anything that would involve writing most of the day would appeal to me.

Where to get it is another thing. Hence, me on here.

The internship will be for an EU organisation so will mainly involve writing content for their website, social media, interviews etc.