taxation advice

Old Feb 28th 2015, 3:21 am
Just Joined

cosycatus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default taxation advice

so dear British expats forumers....
It's been just over 4 years since my PR has been granted, an i am looking to apply for citizenship. However the economic situation in Aus isnt looking so rosy at the moment.
Should i go back to my own country to work (and where taxes are lower), my understanding is that there are situations where u have and do not have to pay taxes to australia..
Any forumers with the same dilemna? How did you resolve it?
Old Feb 28th 2015, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: taxation advice

Originally Posted by cosycatus
so dear British expats forumers....
It's been just over 4 years since my PR has been granted, an i am looking to apply for citizenship. However the economic situation in Aus isnt looking so rosy at the moment.
Should i go back to my own country to work (and where taxes are lower), my understanding is that there are situations where u have and do not have to pay taxes to australia..
Any forumers with the same dilemna? How did you resolve it?
Why wouldn't you stay and get your citizenship?

Basing a decision on whether to return to your home country primarily on the taxation implications seems strange to me...it is a consideration, sure, but it all depends on where you are considered resident for tax. Sorry if I have misunderstood your question - I doubt many of us are qualified to give you tax advice anyway, if that's what you are looking for!
Old Feb 28th 2015, 4:37 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Australia taxes people based on 'tax residency', so since most of the FY2015 is over, you have probably* spent over half the tax year in Australia, so you would be on the hook for this year. Not sure what happens if next year you decide to leave. And that's about all I know about taxes :|

I would start here: https://www.ato.gov.au/Individuals/I...tax-purposes-/
Old Feb 28th 2015, 7:30 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Does your own country allow dual citizenship?
If yes then wouldn't it make sense to get Australian citizenship first?