Reload this Page >

Advice from HR professionals in Melbourne

Advice from HR professionals in Melbourne

Old Sep 25th 2012, 7:53 am
Just Joined

MrC UK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice from HR professionals in Melbourne

Hi all,

I am will be travelling to Melbourne in January and plan to continue my career in HR. I have Aussie citizenship so no issues with visas.

I would be grateful to hear from any HR professionals as I am keen to get a sense of the marketplace in Melbourne and also how best I can prepare myself ahead of travelling.

I am postgrad plus 5yrs experience at Advisor level. I would like to remain at this level althoguh appreciate I may have to step down before stepping up.

Many thanks

Matt
Old Sep 30th 2012, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

EdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really nice
Default Re: Advice from HR professionals in Melbourne

Hi Mr C,

I'm in a senior HR role and while I'm not actively looking for a job at the moment, I still get the Seek alert emails out of curiosity. There seems to have been a bit of an upswing in the last month or two in terms of volume and variety of jobs advertised with more senior as well as junior opportunities. Pay seems to be picking up a little. While there's more roles advertised, there will undoubtedly be more applicants for them as there's been quite a focus on restructuring across many sectors of the Australian economy.

You will inevitably run into the hoary old chestnut of lacking local experience which is especially tedious when your expectations are realistic and the put down is being delivered with a straight face by a recruiter with an English accent....

Yes, it's normal to take a small step down but this should be a relatively temporary thing and you may wish to take something less ideal on a fixed term basis to get a toe in the door. However as well as stepping down, prepare yourself for stepping back in time too! Depending on sector, there are varying degrees of sophistication and while things have improved in the nearly 5 years we've been here but the thinking is still a fair way behind the UK. With 5 years experience, depending on what you've been exposed to, perhaps you should be aiming for a consultant role which would equate to the old HR Officer rather than Administrator/Advisor?

Hopefully, you'll largely overcome the lack of AU experience hurdle with citizenship. The biggest issue you will face immediately on arrival is one of timing- basically everyone largely downs tools on the hiring front between mid to late Nov and early Feb with many taking annual leave then.

Looking on Seek will give you an idea of the main players in terms of agents and some are better than others. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Edna
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:51 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EdnaAverage
Hi Mr C,

I'm in a senior HR role and while I'm not actively looking for a job at the moment, I still get the Seek alert emails out of curiosity. There seems to have been a bit of an upswing in the last month or two in terms of volume and variety of jobs advertised with more senior as well as junior opportunities. Pay seems to be picking up a little. While there's more roles advertised, there will undoubtedly be more applicants for them as there's been quite a focus on restructuring across many sectors of the Australian economy.

You will inevitably run into the hoary old chestnut of lacking local experience which is especially tedious when your expectations are realistic and the put down is being delivered with a straight face by a recruiter with an English accent....

Yes, it's normal to take a small step down but this should be a relatively temporary thing and you may wish to take something less ideal on a fixed term basis to get a toe in the door. However as well as stepping down, prepare yourself for stepping back in time too! Depending on sector, there are varying degrees of sophistication and while things have improved in the nearly 5 years we've been here but the thinking is still a fair way behind the UK. With 5 years experience, depending on what you've been exposed to, perhaps you should be aiming for a consultant role which would equate to the old HR Officer rather than Administrator/Advisor?

Hopefully, you'll largely overcome the lack of AU experience hurdle with citizenship. The biggest issue you will face immediately on arrival is one of timing- basically everyone largely downs tools on the hiring front between mid to late Nov and early Feb with many taking annual leave then.

Looking on Seek will give you an idea of the main players in terms of agents and some are better than others. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions

Edna
Hi Edna,

May thanks your your reply, some interesting insights! I currently work in the engineering sector for a clean energy company and I really enjoy it. I would like to continue in the sector and it seems the green economy in Australia is gathering momentum so I am hopeful.

I have heard that HR is a little behind in Oz. When I joined my current employer they had no HR function previously so I am used to starting with little!!!

I must admit, I did not consider the holiday season when I booked my flights. In some ways it has spurred me on he visit a few realtives and get a little travelling in before starting work which would take me through to March.

Seek has thrown up a few more contacts with agents so I feel a little less daunted

One last question, would you recommend joining the AHRI?

Thanks again

Matt
Old Oct 8th 2012, 7:30 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Advice from HR professionals in Melbourne

Originally Posted by MrC UK
Hi all,

I am will be travelling to Melbourne in January and plan to continue my career in HR. I have Aussie citizenship so no issues with visas.

I would be grateful to hear from any HR professionals as I am keen to get a sense of the marketplace in Melbourne and also how best I can prepare myself ahead of travelling.

I am postgrad plus 5yrs experience at Advisor level. I would like to remain at this level althoguh appreciate I may have to step down before stepping up.

Many thanks

Matt
Matt, we have a lady staying in our apartment at the moment who has just arrived in Melbourne and works in HR, she has got a job within 2 weeks of landing, I'm afraid I don't know her level of experience etc, however she did get about 3 interviews almost immediately so there seems to be work here for HR people.

Hope that encourages you.

BB
Old Oct 9th 2012, 7:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Matt, we have a lady staying in our apartment at the moment who has just arrived in Melbourne and works in HR, she has got a job within 2 weeks of landing, I'm afraid I don't know her level of experience etc, however she did get about 3 interviews almost immediately so there seems to be work here for HR people.

Hope that encourages you.

BB
Thanks BB, I am feeling a lot more confident about the move, less than 3 months now! Is your lodger a member on hear? If she was happy to chat it would be much appreciated as her fresh opinion woulfd be useful.

Cheers
Matt
Old Oct 11th 2012, 10:34 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks BB, I am feeling a lot more confident about the move, less than 3 months now! Is your lodger a member on hear? If she was happy to chat it would be much appreciated as her fresh opinion woulfd be useful.

Cheers
Matt
Hi Matt, she is not on this forum to my knowledge I'm afraid.

BB
Old Oct 11th 2012, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Hi Matt, she is not on this forum to my knowledge I'm afraid.

BB
No worries, thanks for checking BB

Matt
Old Oct 17th 2012, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

EdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really niceEdnaAverage is just really nice

Hi Edna,

Seek has thrown up a few more contacts with agents so I feel a little less daunted

One last question, would you recommend joining the AHRI?
Hi Matt

Sorry for leaving you hanging - busy couple of weeks. I'd only join AHRI for the first year to attend their networking events as they're really not a patch on the CIPD. I've retained my hard earned chartered membership of the latter and claim back my subs on the AU tax return each year. The quality of info that you get for cheaper subs makes it a no brainer and they'll happily post the magazine direct to Australia.

You will need to work on your Australian employment law knowledge as a priority. At first glance, the principles are reasonably similar to (and based on) UK law but it's significantly more complex given the multiple levels eg Federal, State etc. AHRI courses may help with this but you'll also find that the major law firms will do networking and update meetings so sign up for their newsletter updates.

HTH,

Edna
Old Oct 17th 2012, 8:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by EdnaAverage
Hi Matt

Sorry for leaving you hanging - busy couple of weeks. I'd only join AHRI for the first year to attend their networking events as they're really not a patch on the CIPD. I've retained my hard earned chartered membership of the latter and claim back my subs on the AU tax return each year. The quality of info that you get for cheaper subs makes it a no brainer and they'll happily post the magazine direct to Australia.

You will need to work on your Australian employment law knowledge as a priority. At first glance, the principles are reasonably similar to (and based on) UK law but it's significantly more complex given the multiple levels eg Federal, State etc. AHRI courses may help with this but you'll also find that the major law firms will do networking and update meetings so sign up for their newsletter updates.

HTH,

Edna
No worries Edna, I know how you feel, regretfully I have put everyone at risk of redundancy a week ago so my plans for a quiet few months before leaving have been blown out of the water!! Really hope a buyer can be found as it would be a very sad way to leave the company.

Thanks for all the tips, very helpful! I am trudging through an employment law textbook as we speak which has been quite intersting and has brought back memorys of the late nights studying for the CIPD!I have seen a few legal updates held in the UK but at £500 for a day I am not buying it.

Thanks again Edna, definately helpful.

Matt