Reload this Page >

Migration Issues for ACCA professional

Migration Issues for ACCA professional

Old Oct 12th 2012, 2:47 pm
Just Joined

bigthinker is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Migration Issues for ACCA professional

Dear All,

I’m thinking of migrating to Australia, however I've some queries and I would be very grateful if someone could respond.

I am an ACCA professional, currently working in UK Public Sector as Financial Accountant. I have eight years of experience, both pre and post qualification. I’ve worked in both public & private sector. Both me and my wife have Australian PR

I wish to know

• How is the accounting job market in Australia at present?

• Will my prior work experience and my ACCA qualification help me get a job there? Do Australian employers value UK experience & ACCA qualification? I know getting a job depends a lot on how I’m able to convince employers on my employability, however, what I’m trying to get is, whether employers give any value to overseas work experience and qualification ?

• What’s the average salary one could expect as overseas entrant to the job market ?

•On average, how much time usually people take to secure a job?

What is the monthly average cost of living for a family of three?
I know everyone have different lifestyles and it’s difficult to quote any figure, however I am just trying to ascertain the average household budget figure for a family which have a decent lifestyle, not lavish

Any ideas on minimum amount of fund, I should take with me as buffer for early days.

I understand, answer to my question are dependant on various factors which are different for different people and lot will depend upon myself and how my family manage, but just the indicative figures and general advice would help. .

I wouldn't have asked so many questions, If I was alone, but now that I have the responsibility of a young child, I need to be careful. Hope people will understand.

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 12th 2012, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Migration Issues for ACCA professional

Comments in red...

Originally Posted by bigthinker
Dear All,

I’m thinking of migrating to Australia, however I've some queries and I would be very grateful if someone could respond.

I am an ACCA professional, currently working in UK Public Sector as Financial Accountant. I have eight years of experience, both pre and post qualification. I’ve worked in both public & private sector. Both me and my wife have Australian PR

I wish to know

• How is the accounting job market in Australia at present?

A little slow in my opinion. Many high quality candidates for every role and I am pursued relentlessly by recruitment agents trying to get their candidates in the door

• Will my prior work experience and my ACCA qualification help me get a job there? Do Australian employers value UK experience & ACCA qualification? I know getting a job depends a lot on how I’m able to convince employers on my employability, however, what I’m trying to get is, whether employers give any value to overseas work experience and qualification ?

They won't be focused on the ACCA qualification as such, they will just think UK qualified and will be comfortable with that. Yes UK experience is highly regarded and the UK CVs will get a second look from most.

I have never worked in the public sector, being very honest with you, I think I would be suspicious of a public sector CV applying for one of my roles. I would imagine you working to rule, 9 - 5pm, and demanding your 15 minutes tea breaks every hour. But that is nothing to do with Australia, that public to private crossover is never easy no matter where you are. You seem to have managed it in the past, probably you would want to emphasise your private experience if applying for a private company job and vice versa.

• What’s the average salary one could expect as overseas entrant to the job market ?

You need to change your thinking. Don't apologise for being a new entrant or think you need to expect lower because you are a new entrant. Hold your head high, get your worth and don't let "overseas entrant" come into it. Your starting salary is not dependent on where you came from, it is dependent on your skills, experience, the level you have worked at and will work at. If people detect your uncertainty they will take advantage.

I can share some typical salary levels for my team: the accountants we recruit at a fairly junior level (part qualified or recently qualified) would be on something like $80-110k. With a few more years experience and additional responsibility and this increases to say $130k - $150k. After that, the salary probably less reflects age and years experience and is more down to the individual and how they have progressed. More senior leaders who are now themselves managing small teams of say 8+ people are on about $150-$180k. From there, the salary increases through the ranks and in my organisation I know that the CFO earns ~$400k.

•On average, how much time usually people take to secure a job? An unanswerable question IMHO.

What is the monthly average cost of living for a family of three?
I know everyone have different lifestyles and it’s difficult to quote any figure, however I am just trying to ascertain the average household budget figure for a family which have a decent lifestyle, not lavish

Well you already know that everyone is different and it is true, there is no point thinking about average COL. What do you live on now? Take that number, multiply by 2-2.5 and that is a range of what you would need to live on in Australia. I think the only thing I would call out, is that rentals in Sydney (in nice areas) do seem to be significantly more expensive than anywhere else. I read about all the people paying $500 or less in weekly rental and I shudder to imagine what kind of house that would get in Sydney.

Any ideas on minimum amount of fund, I should take with me as buffer for early days.

As much as you possibly can.

I understand, answer to my question are dependant on various factors which are different for different people and lot will depend upon myself and how my family manage, but just the indicative figures and general advice would help. .

I wouldn't have asked so many questions, If I was alone, but now that I have the responsibility of a young child, I need to be careful. Hope people will understand.

Thanks in advance
Hope this helps.
Old Oct 14th 2012, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
Comments in red...

Hope this helps.

Thank you Bermudashorts for your reply,

I've been reading your post lately and it's good to know that you are always willing to help accountants and provide right advice.

Can I ask you more thing, What do you think of Australian Economy for coming days ? In different forums I'm reading that Australia is heading towards recession and what are your views ?

Thanks
Old Oct 15th 2012, 7:15 am
Daffyd Duck

commonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond reputecommonwealth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bigthinker
Thank you Bermudashorts for your reply,

I've been reading your post lately and it's good to know that you are always willing to help accountants and provide right advice.

Can I ask you more thing, What do you think of Australian Economy for coming days ? In different forums I'm reading that Australia is heading towards recession and what are your views ?

Thanks
recession? what recession?
Old Oct 17th 2012, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by commonwealth
recession? what recession?
I am talking about rescession which is being discussed by many informed people in a different thread