British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   $ AD 2.66 per U.K. Pound, not good :( [pankala-PB ding-dong] (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/%24-ad-2-66-per-u-k-pound-not-good-%5Bpankala-pb-ding-dong%5D-133832/)

pankala Feb 25th 2003 3:30 am

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Look they cannot win ... a higher dollar means they get less for exports and imports become cheap so the local producers cannot sell on world markets .
:D :cool: :beer:
Good old Nips selling what's left of their UK shares to buy A$.

pommie bastard Feb 25th 2003 3:35 am

Originally posted by pankala
Good old Nips selling what's left of their UK shares to buy A$.
Why buy the dollar when they own a third of Australia already they even can afford to use Australian iron ore as land fill seeing that the Aussies are well up to their necks in debt to the Japs.

pankala Feb 25th 2003 3:48 am

Why buy the dollar when they own a third of Australia already they even can afford to use Australian iron ore as land fill seeing that the Aussies are well up to their necks in debt to the Japs.

I think the idea is to buy something of value before Nippon implodes and debts become moot. China next.

Goose Feb 25th 2003 3:49 am

Look they cannot win the country is a primary producer its sells materials and food stuffs then pays to import finished goods , a higher dollar means they get less for exports and imports become cheap so the local producers cannot sell on world markets .

You do have a point PB and I understand your reasoning. I am no economist but I do a lot of reading and I did a bit of research the other night on the Aus$ (as well as Canadian dollar, Norwegian Krone and SA Rand) versus the pound over the last 7 years. As the gold price was suppressed so the strengths of these currencies lost against the pound and as the gold price (and other commodity prices) have risen so these currnecies have strengthened. The point I am trying to make is that if you believe the gold price will increase further, it might be worth hanging on before converting your Aus dollars back into pounds.

pommie bastard Feb 25th 2003 3:55 am

I think the idea is to but something of value before Nippon implodes and debts become moot. China next.
Looking at Perth city centre I thought Australia was turning chinese already?

pommie bastard Feb 25th 2003 3:57 am

Originally posted by Goose
You do have a point PB and I understand your reasoning. I am no economist but I do a lot of reading and I did a bit of research the other night on the Aus$ (as well as Canadian dollar, Norwegian Krone and SA Rand) versus the pound over the last 7 years. As the gold price was suppressed so the strengths of these currencies lost against the pound and as the gold price (and other commodity prices) have risen so these currnecies have strengthened. The point I am trying to make is that if you believe the gold price will increase further, it might be worth hanging on before converting your Aus dollars back into pounds.
Well thanks for input I live in hope please buy , buy the rubber dollar PB needs you.

pankala Feb 25th 2003 3:58 am

Looking at Perth city centre I thought Australia was turning chinese already?
Advance party. Treat them nicely or i'll come 'round and rip your bloody arms orf!

pommie bastard Feb 25th 2003 4:03 am

Advance party. Treat them nicely or i'll come 'round and rip your bloody arms orf!
Still to find a good british chinese take away the buggers here would go bankrupt in the UK , bloody chinese how cannot cook .

pommie bastard Feb 25th 2003 4:04 am

Still to find a good british chinese take away the buggers here would go bankrupt in the UK , bloody chinese who cannot cook .

pankala Feb 25th 2003 4:14 am

Still to find a good british chinese take away the buggers here would go bankrupt in the UK , bloody chinese how cannot cook .

Youre starting to breakup or stuttering. Stick to butties, high English cuisine (thats posh for food).

pommie bastard Feb 25th 2003 4:17 am

Youre starting to breakup or stuttering. Stick to butties, high English cuisine (thats posh for food).
Love to if I could find a good Brit chippy bloody frozen chips make crap butties buggers only cook them when ordered tight sods must be a rubber dollar thing?

pankala Feb 25th 2003 4:31 am

Love to if I could find a good Brit chippy bloody frozen chips make crap butties buggers only cook them when ordered tight sods must be a rubber dollar thing?

Can't wind windows any more. Now you can't even fry chips. It really must have been a wonderful childhood.

pommie bastard Feb 25th 2003 4:36 am

Can't wind windows any more. Now you can't even fry chips. It really must have been a wonderful childhood.
No muumy kept me out of the kitchen only the hired help was allowed to cook.

pankala Feb 25th 2003 4:38 am

No muumy kept me out of the kitchen only the hired help was allowed to cook.

Hate to cast aspersions but did your mummy have a woefully mis-spent youth as well?

pommie bastard Feb 25th 2003 4:44 am

Hate to cast aspersions but did your mummy have a woefully mis-spent youth as well?
She never drank before 9am and never pints she always sent her driver to pick us up from school plus only smoked tipped fags so I would say no.