British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   $ AD 2.66 per U.K. Pound, not good :( [pankala-PB ding-dong] (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/%24-ad-2-66-per-u-k-pound-not-good-%5Bpankala-pb-ding-dong%5D-133832/)

scoobydooathome Feb 21st 2003 10:30 am

$ AD 2.66 per U.K. Pound, not good :(

This has to be a wind up, please someone tel me that its gonna go up again :(

Hoping it look's better in a couple of months time, but who know's ...

Cheers,

FOX Feb 21st 2003 10:42 am

Depressing isn't it!!!

Seems like a cruel joke that so many of us who have been waiting for a long time have finally got our visas only to have such a crappy exchange rate! We didn't risk changing any money until we had the visa in our hands, typical!

We go on 13 April............ Do we wait..............?

Sarah

baldbutts Feb 21st 2003 10:42 am

Re: $ AD 2.66 per U.K. Pound, not good :(

Originally posted by scoobydooathome

Cheers,

What we need is a good war,that always boosts the quid

BB-I'm e-mailing Blair now pretending to be Saddam,& calling him a gay-lord

bussie Feb 21st 2003 12:12 pm

exchange rate

Goose Feb 21st 2003 12:23 pm

I wouldn't hold your breath for an improvement in the exchange rate, that is if you are wanting to exchange sterling for Aus dollars.

There are few factors at play here. Firstly commodity markets are booming in the shadow of the Iraq war, the floundering US dollar and world stock markets in general. So commodities including Gold have been going up in price. Australia has a commodity based economy and as a result the Aus dollar is geting stronger.

Secondly, the Aus dollar suffered tremendously during the dot com bubble years up to year 2000. No one wanted anything to do with commodities when there was "gold" in them thar dot coms. Money flowed into the US and UK stock markets. Now money is flowing out of the US and UK stock markets (have you noticed what the FTSE and DOW have been doing recently?)

I don't have the figures handy but if I recall correctly the Aus dollar was $2.50 to the pound in 1996 or 1997. My guess is that it is headed that way again (or worse).

Dilbert Feb 21st 2003 1:21 pm

Cheers,

Changed my meagre sum on Wednesday, got $2.66, bloke at Halewoods reckoned that the decline might continue.
'spose it depends how long you can hold out for. I could have changed my money at $2.8 + but didn't want to risk it then as didn't have the visas at the time. bummer.
Anyway its done now, so I'm never going to look at the rate again in case it rockets.

Cheers,
D

sofistek Feb 21st 2003 2:26 pm

Cheers,
The pound's falling against many currencies at the moment. I'm watching the NZ rate and that's down to 2.88 or worse. It hasn't been helped by the cut in interest rates in the UK.

The rate moves up and down, however. I guess you have to assess whether it's better to have the money over in Oz or NZ (possibly earning a higher rate of interest) or wait for the exchange rate to improve. It is a bummer, though I'm hoping it improves by the time I need to move money.

tinaj Feb 21st 2003 5:11 pm

Cheers,
If you are not desperate for all of your money at once, you could leave most of it in a Uk account and transfer it over the net when the rate rises. Might be an option for you.

pommiesheila Feb 21st 2003 8:49 pm

Originally posted by Goose
I don't have the figures handy but if I recall correctly the Aus dollar was $2.50 to the pound in 1996 or 1997. My guess is that it is headed that way again (or worse).
If you look at the various Forex sites (e.g. Moneycorp, Oanda etc) you will see that the Aus D has been as high as 3.0 and as low as 1.9 in the last 7 years ( in 1996 it was 1.9, it rose to 2.9 in 1998 and in 1999 went as low as 2.4).

We came over with an exchange rate of 2.62, which I felt was awful, considering it had been as high as 2.8 not long before we changed our money.

However, even though it is depressing to see you`ve just lost "a car" or whatever because of the exchange rate (and I still kick myself for changing ours when we did), most expats over here work on an exchange rate of £1 = $2.50, and reckon anything above that is a bonus.

sue5665 Feb 21st 2003 10:21 pm

Hi,

We are off at the end of March and have opened an a account with the commonwealth bank in London. We are putting all our money in this account and change it a little at a time when we need it, and they will watch the exchange rate for us, so we will agree on a rate and if it reaches that rate they will exchange it for us.

Sue

onlyme Feb 21st 2003 10:57 pm

I hope the Oz dollar gets stronger and stronger .. I wanna go home for a holiday !!

Herman Feb 21st 2003 11:45 pm

I wouldn't hold your breath for an improvement in the exchange rate, that is if you are wanting to exchange sterling for Aus dollars.

There are few factors at play here. Firstly commodity markets are booming in the shadow of the Iraq war, the floundering US dollar and world stock markets in general. So commodities including Gold have been going up in price. Australia has a commodity based economy and as a result the Aus dollar is geting stronger.

Secondly, the Aus dollar suffered tremendously during the dot com bubble years up to year 2000. No one wanted anything to do with commodities when there was "gold" in them thar dot coms. Money flowed into the US and UK stock markets. Now money is flowing out of the US and UK stock markets (have you noticed what the FTSE and DOW have been doing recently?)

Correct, consensus forecasts among the banks is that it will be 0.4 (or $2.5) on average over the next 3 years, getting slightly stronger each year. Coal prices are forecast to go up, gold prices are rising, copper prices are rising, zinc prices are rising. All in all its all good for the Aussie dollar but not so good for your British ex pat!

2thick Feb 22nd 2003 3:38 am

Originally posted by Herman
Correct, consensus forecasts among the banks is that it will be 0.4 (or $2.5) on average over the next 3 years, getting slightly stronger each year. Coal prices are forecast to go up, gold prices are rising, copper prices are rising, zinc prices are rising. All in all its all good for the Aussie dollar but not so good for your British ex pat!

Well it will always suit somebody - PB and some of the others should be ecstatic as they're going in the other direction. Actually aren't you going back to the Czech Republic soon Herman? How's their currency holding up with all this global uncertainty?

2thick

etlniwd Feb 22nd 2003 4:38 am

The truth is that nobody knows which way it will go.

If any of us knew for sure then we'd all be stinking rich in a few months time.

The natural place for the dollar should be around 50p because then Aussie prices and wages would be on a par with the UK.

scoobydooathome Feb 22nd 2003 6:13 pm

Cheers,
The rate is now 2.64 ... :(:(:(

Anyone know otherwise,

kevmitch Feb 23rd 2003 9:22 am

The rate is now 2.64 ... :(:(:(

Anyone know otherwise,

Wholesale rate back up to $2.67 this morning. - only 13 cents down on the week!!

scoobydooathome Feb 23rd 2003 10:32 am

Originally posted by kevmitch
Wholesale rate back up to $2.67 this morning. - only 13 cents down on the week!!
Nice one :)

any optimism is always welcome,

Cheers, :)

pommie bastard Feb 23rd 2003 10:45 pm

Cheers,
The rate now for anyone coming is great whats your problem ?
it has been as high as $1.70 to the pound and we only got $1.98 9 years ago .
If you are worried about such a small move in rates is it worth coming to the land of plenty?

:D :cool: :beer:

Herman Feb 24th 2003 12:45 am

Originally posted by 2thick
Well it will always suit somebody - PB and some of the others should be ecstatic as they're going in the other direction. Actually aren't you going back to the Czech Republic soon Herman? How's their currency holding up with all this global uncertainty?

2thick
The Czech crown is stronger against the pound than it was last time I was there a year ago, but only fractionally. They'll be on Euro's pretty soon after joining the EU anyway, which is probably good for them (but may mean higher costs for tourists). Its always been a country with two sets of prices anyway. I phoned a hotel outside of Prague that we were interested in, and asked if they spoke English - they did. So I asked for a price per night for a standard room - to me they said "only US$40". Seemed pricey to my wife so she phoned a few hours later and in Czech asked for a price for the night, the answer? US$12. Not sure if the European parliament will be able to stop this!

Maybe thats what Aussie's should do to rich British expats with house prices - locals price $250k, British expats price $500k!!

Goose Feb 24th 2003 5:19 am

Originally posted by etlniwd
The truth is that nobody knows which way it will go.

If any of us knew for sure then we'd all be stinking rich in a few months time.

I wouldn't presume to know but I don't believe that exchange rates change without there being fundamental reasons for the change.

In Feb 97 the rate was GBP=AUS$2.05. The gold price was US$410. US President Clinton followed a "strong dollar" policy during his tenure. At the same time we had the stock market bubble. Billions of dollars of foreign currencies (necessary to support the value of the US dollar) flowed into the US stock markets. This strong dollar policy and some sinister acts (such as dumping of gold on the markets by US and foreign central banks) pushed the gold price down to a low of US$270 by Feb 2001. Other commodity prices were also suppressed. Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Norway are all countries whose economies are commodity based. As the price of gold dropped from 410 to 270, Australia's exchange rate against sterling dropped from 2.05 to 2.74. Coincidence? No.

Decades of overspending and huge borrowings in the US has now forced the US dollar to depreciate against the world's currencies. As a result Gold has now increased in price to US$350. We are in another gold bull run and the price will increase further as the US$ depreciates further. Commodity prices in general are going up (oil is at $35 a barrel, wheat, grain etc are all up). This is good for NZ, Australia, Norway, South Africa and Canada. The currencies of each of these countries has appreciated as the gold price has increased and will appreciate further.

If gold breaks above US$400, I think that the AUS$ may well revert to a 2 to 1 ratio with the pound (or better).

pankala Feb 24th 2003 5:36 am

If gold breaks above US$400, I think that the AUS$ may well revert to a 2 to 1 ratio with the pound (or better).
Nice bit of analysis. Notice how there is always an "IF" in it somewhere? Sort of makes it 50:50 or two bob each way in plain speak.

pommie bastard Feb 24th 2003 5:40 am

I wouldn't presume to know but I don't believe that exchange rates change without there being fundamental reasons for the change.

In Feb 97 the rate was GBP=AUS$2.05. The gold price was US$410. US President Clinton followed a "strong dollar" policy during his tenure. At the same time we had the stock market bubble. Billions of dollars of foreign currencies (necessary to support the value of the US dollar) flowed into the US stock markets. This strong dollar policy and some sinister acts (such as dumping of gold on the markets by US and foreign central banks) pushed the gold price down to a low of US$270 by Feb 2001. Other commodity prices were also suppressed. Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Norway are all countries whose economies are commodity based. As the price of gold dropped from 410 to 270, Australia's exchange rate against sterling dropped from 2.05 to 2.74. Coincidence? No.

Decades of overspending and huge borrowings in the US has now forced the US dollar to depreciate against the world's currencies. As a result Gold has now increased in price to US$350. We are in another gold bull run and the price will increase further as the US$ depreciates further. Commodity prices in general are going up (oil is at $35 a barrel, wheat, grain etc are all up). This is good for NZ, Australia, Norway, South Africa and Canada. The currencies of each of these countries has appreciated as the gold price has increased and will appreciate further.

I hope you are spot on but you left out the fact Australia is in a drought and importing Wheat from the UK plus its debt levels are growing owing to imports out stripping exports?
The Gold price will dive once the war has been sorted , so I look forward to the rates you quote more in hope than anything else.

Goose Feb 24th 2003 7:53 am

I doubt it PB. The current upswing in the gold price began in 2001 (long before the possibility of this war in Iraq). Gold reacts inversely to the US$. The US$ is depreciating and will continue to depreciate as funds fly out of the US and the necessary US$3 billion required to flow into the US everyday to prop up the US$ evaporates. It is suspected that there might be a US$20 to US$30 war premium built into the gold price, but no more. The combination of factors effecting the world at the moment (low interest rates, bearish stock markets, devaluing US$, the US and Europe facing rescession) all combine to offer gold as an attractive option - a flight to safety if you will.

If you believe that the stock markets are at their bottom and will fall no further then you would probably not invest in gold, but if you suspect that stocks have much further to fall, that bonds have had their day then you might consider gold. Many have been and this is pushing up the price of gold (there are a huge number of other factors but I'd keep you here all night yakking about it). Suffice to say that if you are going back to the UK, I reckon you are going to score if you hold on before converting.

Don Feb 24th 2003 9:00 am

Oanda's got 2.639 right now and the rate you can buy at will be about 2 cents lower.

Don

Devlin Feb 24th 2003 10:53 am

Sterling set to continue its downward spiral.

http://uk.biz.yahoo.com/030221/80/dttcy.html

"The market is repricing the currency and ... in 3-6 months we could see sterling 10 percent weaker."

Goose Feb 24th 2003 12:18 pm

Well spotted, Devlin.

pommie bastard Feb 24th 2003 10:59 pm

I doubt it PB. The current upswing in the gold price began in 2001 (long before the possibility of this war in Iraq). Gold reacts inversely to the US$. The US$ is depreciating and will continue to depreciate as funds fly out of the US and the necessary US$3 billion required to flow into the US everyday to prop up the US$ evaporates. It is suspected that there might be a US$20 to US$30 war premium built into the gold price, but no more. The combination of factors effecting the world at the moment (low interest rates, bearish stock markets, devaluing US$, the US and Europe facing rescession) all combine to offer gold as an attractive option - a flight to safety if you will.

If you believe that the stock markets are at their bottom and will fall no further then you would probably not invest in gold, but if you suspect that stocks have much further to fall, that bonds have had their day then you might consider gold. Many have been and this is pushing up the price of gold (there are a huge number of other factors but I'd keep you here all night yakking about it). Suffice to say that if you are going back to the UK, I reckon you are going to score if you hold on before converting.

You make a good case but gold has gone up $50 over the last couple of months its only a mineral and will lose its value as quick as it went up .
The rubber dollar has gone slightly higher because as you say interest rates in UK and USA have come down but Australia has big problems with the drought and imports its debt level is on the up.
If interest rates in Australia follow the UK the rubber dollar will lose ground again , when it was 2-1 the interest rates where 4% higher here than the UK at the dollars highest value they where 17% and the country was pushed into rescession.
Australia needs a strong Japanest and Asia market which in turn relies on the USA , its ecomony right now is driven by the housing market which is peaking and new house approvels are slowing down.
Still I live in hope any rise is welcome and but could be yet another false dawn.

Goose Feb 25th 2003 1:56 am

Here is another link to an article dated today which better explains the benefits that increasing commodity prices are having on the Aus $ and why the Aus $ should strengthen even more (as should the SA Rand, NZ dollar and Canadian dollar) in months to come.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/fgcgi.cgi...q7MRVAQXVzdHJh

pankala Feb 25th 2003 2:07 am

Here is another link to an article dated today which better explains the benefits that increasing commodity prices are having on the Aus $ and why the Aus $ should strengthen even more (as should the SA Rand, NZ dollar and Canadian dollar) in months to come.

Just when you think you have it all worked out, so does every one else on the other side.

pommie bastard Feb 25th 2003 3:18 am

Look they cannot win the country is a primary producer its sells materials and food stuffs then pays to import finished goods , a higher dollar means they get less for exports and imports become cheap so the local producers cannot sell on world markets .
Companies like BHP Billiton are Brit controlled and are taking out profit to invest elsewhere , the press are taking about if Australia can afford to keep the small task force in the Middle east plus a few planes have put the country deeper in the red.

The Australian dollar, the New Zealand dollar, the South African rand and the Canadian dollar all tend to gain as commodity prices rise because of the reliance in those countries on raw materials for export earnings.

The impact of the appreciating Australian dollar is beginning to be felt by exporters. Yesterday, BHP Billiton, the world's biggest miner, said costs at the company's mines and smelters rose by $65 million during the first half because of the rise in the Australian dollar.

pankala Feb 25th 2003 3:30 am

Originally posted by pommie bastard
Look they cannot win ... a higher dollar means they get less for exports and imports become cheap so the local producers cannot sell on world markets .
Good old Nips selling what's left of their UK shares to buy A$.

pommie bastard Feb 25th 2003 3:35 am

Originally posted by pankala
Good old Nips selling what's left of their UK shares to buy A$.
Why buy the dollar when they own a third of Australia already they even can afford to use Australian iron ore as land fill seeing that the Aussies are well up to their necks in debt to the Japs.

pankala Feb 25th 2003 3:48 am

Why buy the dollar when they own a third of Australia already they even can afford to use Australian iron ore as land fill seeing that the Aussies are well up to their necks in debt to the Japs.

I think the idea is to buy something of value before Nippon implodes and debts become moot. China next.

Goose Feb 25th 2003 3:49 am

Look they cannot win the country is a primary producer its sells materials and food stuffs then pays to import finished goods , a higher dollar means they get less for exports and imports become cheap so the local producers cannot sell on world markets .

You do have a point PB and I understand your reasoning. I am no economist but I do a lot of reading and I did a bit of research the other night on the Aus$ (as well as Canadian dollar, Norwegian Krone and SA Rand) versus the pound over the last 7 years. As the gold price was suppressed so the strengths of these currencies lost against the pound and as the gold price (and other commodity prices) have risen so these currnecies have strengthened. The point I am trying to make is that if you believe the gold price will increase further, it might be worth hanging on before converting your Aus dollars back into pounds.

pommie bastard Feb 25th 2003 3:55 am

I think the idea is to but something of value before Nippon implodes and debts become moot. China next.
Looking at Perth city centre I thought Australia was turning chinese already?

pommie bastard Feb 25th 2003 3:57 am

You do have a point PB and I understand your reasoning. I am no economist but I do a lot of reading and I did a bit of research the other night on the Aus$ (as well as Canadian dollar, Norwegian Krone and SA Rand) versus the pound over the last 7 years. As the gold price was suppressed so the strengths of these currencies lost against the pound and as the gold price (and other commodity prices) have risen so these currnecies have strengthened. The point I am trying to make is that if you believe the gold price will increase further, it might be worth hanging on before converting your Aus dollars back into pounds.
Well thanks for input I live in hope please buy , buy the rubber dollar PB needs you.

pankala Feb 25th 2003 3:58 am

Looking at Perth city centre I thought Australia was turning chinese already?
Advance party. Treat them nicely or i'll come 'round and rip your bloody arms orf!

pommie bastard Feb 25th 2003 4:03 am

Advance party. Treat them nicely or i'll come 'round and rip your bloody arms orf!
Still to find a good british chinese take away the buggers here would go bankrupt in the UK , bloody chinese how cannot cook .

pommie bastard Feb 25th 2003 4:04 am

Still to find a good british chinese take away the buggers here would go bankrupt in the UK , bloody chinese who cannot cook .

pankala Feb 25th 2003 4:14 am

Still to find a good british chinese take away the buggers here would go bankrupt in the UK , bloody chinese how cannot cook .

Youre starting to breakup or stuttering. Stick to butties, high English cuisine (thats posh for food).