Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Europe > Italy > Al Fresco
Reload this Page >

Soon to become "extracomunitari"?

Soon to become "extracomunitari"?

Old May 13th 2015, 10:02 am
Pull my finger

duffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond reputeduffer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Soon to become "extracomunitari"?

Anyone point me in the direction of any thread discussing the pros and cons of obtaining Italian citizenship.

I'm British but wife and child are Italian.
Old May 13th 2015, 11:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Margaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret M has a reputation beyond repute

Brits were living here long before there was any EU, or even Common Market. I believe the Brits living here during the war were treated much better than their Italian counterparts in Britain. Don't think I am going to loose much sleep over it.
Old May 13th 2015, 11:46 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Margaret M
Brits were living here long before there was any EU, or even Common Market. I believe the Brits living here during the war were treated much better than their Italian counterparts in Britain. Don't think I am going to loose much sleep over it.
That Michelle H*nz*k*r was on the telly the other talking about how as a Swiss citizen she had to queue up and go through all the performance to get her permesso di soggiorno because she was an extracomunitaro/a .. and I was like, Big deal! and so did we until about 10 years ago .. even as comunitari!

A lot of things like concorsi and fundings and so on are specified as being for cittadini italiani e comunitari .. if we're not entitled to things like that I'm going to be a bit miffed. OK, it's not every day you do a concorso but it's a question of principle!
Old May 13th 2015, 12:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
That Michelle H*nz*k*r was on the telly the other talking about how as a Swiss citizen she had to queue up and go through all the performance to get her permesso di soggiorno because she was an extracomunitaro/a .. and I was like, Big deal! and so did we until about 10 years ago .. even as comunitari!

A lot of things like concorsi and fundings and so on are specified as being for cittadini italiani e comunitari .. if we're not entitled to things like that I'm going to be a bit miffed. OK, it's not every day you do a concorso but it's a question of principle!
Keep in mind that most ''concorsi'' seem to fixed, so what chance is there !?
Old May 13th 2015, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud ofMarkRD has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by highlander1
Keep in mind that most ''concorsi'' seem to fixed, so what chance is there !?
Again, it's a question of principle! Like voting!
Old May 13th 2015, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

ononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond reputeononno has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkRD
Again, it's a question of principle! Like voting!
I agree with you Mark, but learned long ago that 'questioni di principio' are meaningless here.
Old May 14th 2015, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

mmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond reputemmmmbuti has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ononno
. But whether in or out of the EU I doubt we would become 'extracommunitari'. Would more likely be an association agreement type Norway or Switzerland already have.
I don't know because the whole point of those promoting the referendum is to be able to limit freedom of movement for Europeans. In Norway and Switzerland there is still freedom of movement. After Switzerland held its own referendum to limit the very same thing, the EU threatened to call off the agreements. So it's unlikely the UK will be ammitted into EEA or similar agreements if, after a referendum for Brexit, it will want to be able to curb immigration from Europe. So those of us who are not married with a local, or permanent residents, will likely have to start dealing with visas, permesso di soggiorno ecc ecc....

Last edited by mmmmbuti; May 14th 2015 at 10:49 am.
Old Jun 25th 2015, 9:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

My permesso di soggiorno acquired in 1976 is lifelong. as is my Italian wifes' (1980) for the UK. I'm a convinced do away with the EU person. In the 60 years it has been around None of the meaningful promises that were made have been kept, ie common taxation, common laws and an eventual common language. All that has happened is Germany has partially achieved its' aims, and there is ever more burocracy and laws (170,000 in Italy). Even VAT on an ítem changes across borders...... After 45 years of living in mainland Europe, I believe that because the promises cannot be kept, then I prefer A Europe with customs and Passport controls.,,,,
Old Jun 26th 2015, 7:10 am
BE Enthusiast

highlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond reputehighlander1 has a reputation beyond repute

A Europe with customs and Passport controls.,,,,

That sound like an excellent idea, specially now with all the going on in Europe.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 9:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Before about 2003 I had to renew my permesso di soggiorno every one or two years, then someone obviously realised that it could be life-long. That wouldn't have been possible without the EU and we'd be queuing up with the Chinese, the Somalis etc. for renewal now.

The EU certainly has its shortcomings, like any independent State, and thinking that you could get everyone to agree on everything from immigration to what kind of electric plugs to use is admittedly a utopia (ie. could never happen), but common policy and laws has helped to 'modernise' countries like Italy, but then again that's why they were always so keen on the ideas of 'Europe'..

The mistake has been letting too many countries join without setting adequate social and economic standards, but then again's that's because the richer countries (Germany, Italy...) wanted easier access to cheap labour, land and capital.

The whole Greek question is driven by the pedantic Germans who want everything their way. I love Germany and get on with the people but I know what they're like when it comes to money, costs and who should do what. the company i work for sells machinery worth tens of thousands to Germany and if there's one screw out of place they will want you to send an engineer over to put it right. Or if they have to do it themselves then they will not hesitate in sending you the bill. An Italian (for example) would never do that.
Old Jun 26th 2015, 3:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond reputeMaybe1day has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:- Before about 2003 I had to renew my permesso di soggiorno every one or two years, then someone obviously realised that it could be life-long.

I got my first permission in March 1976, and my permanent one in March 1977,I was running a business however maybe that made the difference along with a recommendation by someone influential.
The promised E.U.topia of the early 70s has become a dying star in the sky, soon it will disappear altogether.
Now Cameron wants people to vote on the strength of a promise NO! The thought or hope of a promise even, As Toto used say "Ma Per favore" don't make me laugh.....
Old Jun 28th 2015, 8:14 am
BE Enthusiast

jonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to beholdjonwel is a splendid one to behold

I remember the referendum in the 1970s in the UK. Labour had always been in favour of entry when they were in power in the '60s. Then, after they lost power in 1970, there was a move to the left in the rank and file and more criticism of the EU, so as a sop the leadership promised they'd renegotiate the terms, which they did when they got back in in 1974. They negotiated a few cosmetic changes and then held a referendum proposing a Yes vote and with the weight of the press behind them they got it through.
Lesson: Cameron is trying to satisfy discontent but is personally in favour of staying in and will behave about the same way as Labour did in the '70s.

The real question is whether the EU as a whole will last!

In Italy Salvini calls for coming out of the EU as the solution for all ills but if he got into power he'd cut funds to schools, pensions, health etc. etc. just like Renzi. It's not just Merkel who wants to screw us.

Last edited by jonwel; Jun 28th 2015 at 8:17 am.
Old Jun 28th 2015, 1:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Time to explore Italian citizenship !
Old Jun 28th 2015, 6:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by scot47
Time to explore Italian citizenship !
...and the advantage would be ?!
Old Jun 28th 2015, 8:09 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by highlander1
...and the advantage would be ?!
I think he's Greek and wants to stay in the EU

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.