Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Things you miss about South Africa

Things you miss about South Africa

Old May 24th 2007, 1:59 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Things you miss about South Africa

Originally Posted by Kitten24
Anyone??

Well I miss...

Wimpy Burgers and a Wimpy Coffee
A Calamari and Prawn skillet from Ocean Basket
The mid-afternoon Summer Rain Showers
New Years Eve in Hatfield Square (Pretoria)
The spectacular Highveld Storms
Waffles from the Waffle House in Ramsgate
Meat that tastes like proper meat
The beautiful sandy beaches
Shopping at Menlyn Mall
Smiling at strangers and having them smile back
Adelpracht Wine
Watching Noot vir Noot or Isidingo
YOU Magazine

These are just the things I can't buy from the SA shop in Roehampton, the rest I can pretty much have when I please.
St Marcus? Cool shop. I fly back to good old Heathrow next week Thursday to see my folks - was wondering if you needed me to bring you anything - but looking at your list - it might be tricky! I could probably manage YOU magazine - whatever the hell that is!!!
Old May 24th 2007, 2:03 pm

Kitten24 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ededed
St Marcus? Cool shop. I fly back next week Thursday to see my folks - was wondering if you needed me to bring you anything - but looking at your list might be tricky! I could probably manage YOU magazine - whatever the hell that is!!!
Yup, it's St Marcus I am talking about.

Awww, thanks for the offer. Don't worry about it though.

You could always bring my sister over, but I doubt she would like an 11 hour flight in a suitcase.

I hope you have a pleasant flight.
Old May 24th 2007, 2:06 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, it's St Marcus I am talking about.

Awww, thanks for the offer. Don't worry about it though.

You could always bring my sister over, but I doubt she would like an 11 hour flight in a suitcase.

I hope you have a pleasant flight.
No problem. I live to give. Doubt it will be a pleasant flight though - it's SAA. But thanks!
Old May 24th 2007, 2:21 pm

No problem. I live to give. Doubt it will be a pleasant flight though - it's SAA. But thanks!
It could be worse. We took a stopover flight with Iberia once. *Shudder*

Never again! We always fly direct now.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Heartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really nice

My wife works for SAA and we've done the trip plenty times nothing wrong with SAA, the drinks keep coming, stewards got the typical South African friendliness, nothing too much trouble...

British Airways service SUKS, they got lot old disgruntled air hostess's past their sell by date for doing this particular job but hold onto it with their teeth cos they still think they cheese.... fact is there unhappyness with life/job shines through and its a real sour/kak experience.... sorry
Old May 24th 2007, 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by Heartfm
My wife works for SAA and we've done the trip plenty times nothing wrong with SAA, the drinks keep coming, stewards got the typical South African friendliness, nothing too much trouble...

British Airways service SUKS, they got lot old disgruntled air hostess's past their sell by date for doing this particular job but hold onto it with their teeth cos they still think they cheese.... fact is there unhappyness with life/job shines through and its a real sour/kak experience.... sorry
I've flown too many times to remember how many.

SAA - we've only flown twice and both trips were problem free. They're more expensive than BA though.
Virgin - probably my favourite. (The extra leg room does help too)
BA - our last flight (return) with them was in February and it was wonderful both ways, however we have had one or two bad experiences, but I would fly with them again
Iberia - Sucks!!!
Old May 24th 2007, 9:26 pm
Forum Regular

Heartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really niceHeartfm is just really nice

I've flown too many times to remember how many.

SAA - we've only flown twice and both trips were problem free. They're more expensive than BA though.
Virgin - probably my favourite. (The extra leg room does help too)
BA - our last flight (return) with them was in February and it was wonderful both ways, however we have had one or two bad experiences, but I would fly with them again
Iberia - Sucks!!!
Hey Kitten you suffer with insomnia you always on line, you'd be good as Air Hostess your Photo looks OK as well, don't work for BA though...
Old May 24th 2007, 9:37 pm

Hey Kitten you suffer with insomnia you always on line, you'd be good as Air Hostess your Photo looks OK as well, don't work for BA though...
Yup, I definitely suffer from Insomnia. I will take the photo comment as a compliment. Aren't their height restrictions on being an air hostess? I could never be one anyway, I would hate to be away from my children.
Old May 24th 2007, 9:39 pm
Forum Regular

Yup, I definitely suffer from Insomnia. I will take the photo comment as a compliment. Aren't their height restrictions on being an air hostess? I could never be one anyway, I would hate to be away from my children.
You need to go back to SA my baby for extended stay say 6 to 9 months, I know you missing it badly and this way it’ll help you get settled, hopefully….

All very well going over and over the negatives it don’t help for long, if you born and brought up in that country you got a maternal bond going on and its calling you back all the time
Old May 25th 2007, 2:46 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

Not our experience, the stewards were sleeping at the back of the plane.

I worked with SAA and know a lot of the background issues, gee - scary stuff.

The theft, the staff problems and of course the "creative accountancy" @ SAA in terms of their posted R millions lost, more like billions.

Singapore Airlines, awesome.....
Old May 25th 2007, 2:48 am
Banned

Campbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to beholdCampbells is a splendid one to behold

You need to go back to SA my baby for extended stay say 6 to 9 months, I know you missing it badly and this way it’ll help you get settled, hopefully….

All very well going over and over the negatives it don’t help for long, if you born and brought up in that country you got a maternal bond going on and its calling you back all the time

Some people sacrifice their missing SA for the safety of their child/ren. I know my wife did ……….

For every action there is a re-action …………………
Old May 25th 2007, 5:11 am

We all have different opinions based on experience. I have done the LHR-JNB flight at least 6 times with each of the main carriers, and have to say it's Virgin first by miles every time. BA and SAA are the same. Arrogant staff who are wetting their pants in excitement at the thought of being able to be even more abusive to customers under the guise of additional security measures. What was it Rik said in the young ones? "Give 'em a uniform and they think they're Hitler".

And the Virgin stewardesses are under 60 too, which is more than can be said for the others. It's a shame they are often more expensive.
Old May 25th 2007, 5:20 am
Banned

Have SAA changed their racial preferencing employment polices ( commonly known as AA) ? When I did a lot of work for them in 2000 they were not allowed to employ white people.

Has that changed ?? I heard that Metro Police were *trying* to recruit young white people but on the basis that they must understand it will not be a career and because they are white will not be allowed promotion.

Sounds like bodies to fill the flack jackets. Target practice for the cash heist gangs.

Anybody got anything to offer on the racial preferencing employment dictation accommodating white people ?
Old May 25th 2007, 5:26 am
Banned

If I am not mistaken Kitty was mugged at JIA or whatever it is called now, Kwagobongo or something like that. Lol……….

Of course with all the recent busts going on *inside* there too, sounds like they are trying to do a good promotion, perhaps for 2010 .

Window dressing, that’s a good job in SA and is open for any colour or race
Old May 25th 2007, 5:27 am

Originally Posted by Campbells
Have SAA changed their racial preferencing employment polices ( commonly known as AA) ? When I did a lot of work for them in 2000 they were not allowed to employ white people.

Has that changed ?? I heard that Metro Police were *trying* to recruit young white people but on the basis that they must understand it will not be a career and because they are white will not be allowed promotion.

Sounds like bodies to fill the flack jackets. Target practice for the cash heist gangs.

Anybody got anything to offer on the racial preferencing employment dictation accommodating white people ?
Anectodal evidence for SAA suggests not - at least not when I flew with them 6 weeks ago. Apart from the pilots of course!

There is a big drive to recruit whites into the police, but unsuprisingly most are somewhat reluctant to get shot for R2,000 a month. And people are still reticent about offering a bribe to a white cop for traffic offences, denying them their main source of supplemental income.

The latest wheeze is a drive for people to volunteer for police work in the evenings - I assume for no pay - and whilst I applaud the thinking, and endorse anyone who decides to be an outstanding citizen and give up their time for this community service, I'll graciously decline, thanks. I'd rather spend a month with my ex-wife than 10 minutes dressed as a police man walking the streets - and that is some statement given that she is the anti-christ.

I know I'll get abuse for this thinking, and not being a "team-player" but I enjoy being alive, ta.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.