Moving to South Africa

Old Mar 13th 2006, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Lauramy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to South Africa

I have been offered a job in Johannesburg with one of my old bosses from when I worked in the Middle East.

I am very excited by the job and would like to know others opinions of living there. Safety is a concern for me obvisouly but my boss who was born and bred in Johannesburg and moved back about a year ago says this should not be a main consideration in my decision.

Does anyone have any property websites that I can check out and also job sites as he has asked me what sort of package I would like, it would be a full relocation package.

I am a single women in my mid twenties who has lived and worked abroad before so not at all naive to it.

Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
Old Mar 13th 2006, 1:25 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: Moving to South Africa

Try the papers:

www.iol.co.za

That has a classified section and you should get what you need from there.

Do you know whereabouts your company is located? That'll help narrow down the suburbs.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Lauramy
I have been offered a job in Johannesburg with one of my old bosses from when I worked in the Middle East.

I am very excited by the job and would like to know others opinions of living there. Safety is a concern for me obvisouly but my boss who was born and bred in Johannesburg and moved back about a year ago says this should not be a main consideration in my decision.

Does anyone have any property websites that I can check out and also job sites as he has asked me what sort of package I would like, it would be a full relocation package.

I am a single women in my mid twenties who has lived and worked abroad before so not at all naive to it.

Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
ARE you in the Uk as the Travel section in Saturday Daily telegraph had good article about Jo burg, sounding very positive.

Good luck
Old Mar 13th 2006, 1:54 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Try the papers:

www.iol.co.za

That has a classified section and you should get what you need from there.

Do you know whereabouts your company is located? That'll help narrow down the suburbs.
Thank you so much for replying - the company is located in the same area as Sandton Shopping Mall - i'm afraid that is all the information I currently have.

Piccolo - yes I am in the UK - I will try to get hold of a copy of the Sunday Telegraph then. Thanks.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:15 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Thank you so much for replying - the company is located in the same area as Sandton Shopping Mall - i'm afraid that is all the information I currently have.

Piccolo - yes I am in the UK - I will try to get hold of a copy of the Sunday Telegraph then. Thanks.
Laura, if you've never been to Joburg, I suggest you spend at least 2 weeks before you agree to work there.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Laura, if you've never been to Joburg, I suggest you spend at least 2 weeks before you agree to work there.
Thanks - the plan is that I will go out for two/three weeks before agreeing to anything - work alongside my old boss, see the place, company etc at the moment I am just trying to gauge what the place is like and where I can find information out about it.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

Thanks - the plan is that I will go out for two/three weeks before agreeing to anything - work alongside my old boss, see the place, company etc at the moment I am just trying to gauge what the place is like and where I can find information out about it.
Good idea.

I'll just refer you to another thread I started and then I won't say anything else about it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=348906
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

Good idea.

I'll just refer you to another thread I started and then I won't say anything else about it.

Thanks for all your help Tourist Trap.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Piccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nicePiccolo is just really nice

No it was in Saturdays!
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Good idea.

Perhaps you should also try to read the Saturday Travel section of the telegraph as I found it very surprising but good news out of Joburg.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Piccolo
Perhaps you should also try to read the Saturday Travel section of the telegraph as I found it very surprising but good news out of Joburg.
I have found that Saturday Travel article online so have printed that off to take home also. Thanks
Old Mar 13th 2006, 5:37 pm
Account Closed

I get my news directly from the dozens of friends who still live there.
Old Mar 13th 2006, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

Go to
www.homecomingrevolution.co.za

lots of info on taht site as well.
Old Mar 14th 2006, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

ARE you in the Uk as the Travel section in Saturday Daily telegraph had good article about Jo burg, sounding very positive.
...Sponsored by the SA Tourist Board. Better to get independent info.

Pablo
Old Mar 14th 2006, 8:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Luma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond reputeLuma has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a website on Johannesburg.
http://www.joburg.org.za/

We're currently living in the UK and we don't want to move back to South Africa mainly because of the crime. We didn't like living constantly in fear. We're moving to Australia now.

Someone once put it:
When you hear a noise outside at 3am in the UK you want to shout out the window
"Shut the f***k up - we're trying to sleep"
When you hear a noise outside at 3am in South Africa you immediately think
"someone is trying to break into the house"

You just have to be very vigilant when you live there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.