Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Rest of the World > Africa
Reload this Page >

Moved to UK now going to Australia

Moved to UK now going to Australia

Old Dec 23rd 2005, 9:41 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of
Default Re: Moved to UK now going to Australia

Originally Posted by GRANiTe
Not to go off topic here, just want to point out to Banjo that you do still need to get a retention of citizenship letter (section 6 letter) before gaining a second citizenship. What you are referring to is something else (section 9 letter).
Details of section 9: www.southafricahouse.com/hacs/exemption9(2).htm
Details of section 6: www.southafricahouse.com/hacs/retention.htm

Regards

Grant
Thanks for those links....have just had a look, and the way I read it the 'section 9' of 2004 repeals 'section 6' of 1995, but outlines more specifically the conditions of using your SA passport when entering and leaving South Africa.

BUT.....I am very confused. I have been trying to find a website for the SA High Commission here in Aus but the link is not working. I will try and give them a call after Christmas - unless anyone else can shed some light? or even if you can explain to me your understanding of it?

Sorry to hijack your thread Luma.....
Old Dec 24th 2005, 10:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Pablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond reputePablo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by banjo
Hi Luma,

I'm another one who's made the move from SA (Underberg) to the UK (Swindon) and then to Australia.

I moved to the UK in 1998 and it was the easiest thing as it was just me to consider. I got married in the UK and a few years later had a baby and then I also hankered after that 'outdoor' lifestyle for my children that we had growing up. It took a couple of years and a couple of trips to SA to convince my husband, but three years later here we are.

We've been in Oz for almost two years now, and there hasn't been that many days that I haven't missed the UK. Somehow it helped having family nearby -even if they were my husbands. Australia is great on lots of different levels, and has loads of similarities to the SA, but at the end of the day it isn't a safe South Africa - which is what I think I was looking for. The countryside is lovely....but not in the same league as SA in my view. We went to the Blue Mountains and that was lovely, but doesn't even compare to the Drakensberg.

I guess you have to try it for yourself....only then can you stop saying 'what if...' but do follow Jeremys advice and leave yourself a route back just in case. I didn't and now we are looking at having to go back for three years so I can re-qualify for British Citizenship.

Incidentally, you no longer have to apply to keep your SA citizenship if you apply for the citizenship of another country. It was recently ruled as a violation of a persons rights. Have a look here:
http://www.southafrica-newyork.net/h...ualcitinfo.htm for more info.

As for me....I'm from Underberg - went to school in Kokstad, but my younger brother went to Howick. My grandparents live in Port Shepstone so we spent lots of holidays down there.

Good luck.
Some friends of mine recently moved *to* Underberg. They tried the UK. Didn't like it. Went back to Jo'burg. Didn't like that much, and moved to Underberg about 18 months ago. They tell me they're loving it there. Underberg's a bit quiet for me, I fear, but a nice place. Do you ever go back? Did you not feel safe there? I hear from my friends that it's pretty safe by SA standards. (But also very small and very quiet, so not packed with jobs).

Pablo
Old Dec 24th 2005, 5:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

bruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to allbruce67 is a name known to all
Smile Re: Moved to UK now going to Australia

Not to go off topic here, just want to point out to Banjo that you do still need to get a retention of citizenship letter (section 6 letter) before gaining a second citizenship. What you are referring to is something else (section 9 letter).
Details of section 9: www.southafricahouse.com/hacs/exemption9(2).htm
Details of section 6: www.southafricahouse.com/hacs/retention.htm

Regards

Grant
Grant
I think you are mistaken. Section 9(dated 2004) clearly states that the retention form (mentioned in section 6 and dated 1995 act) is no longer necessary all that is required is the correct use of passports ie entering and leaving SA on your SA passport as to not gain any privileges not due to you as an SA citizen as opposed to a visitor(taxes and duty free possibly?).

The only use for section 6 that i am aware of is as part of an application process I am using it for and that is retrospectively requesting permission so as to regain my citizenship automatically taken from me and all others by the act pre 1995.
I shall hopefully have my citizenship/passport restored to me in January.

Banjo
The high commission site in UK is also a bit of a problem. Apparently they are updating all the relevant information due to both citizen and temp res changes, this seems to be taking them ages(months).

Bruce.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 8:38 am
Just Joined

GRANiTe is on a distinguished road

Hi Banjo and Bruce

This is how I see it:

In the past if you had dual citizenship and therefore two passports it was a requirement to obtain permission to use another passport other than your SA one (section 9), but this has now been done away with and you can use foreign passports freely, as long as you use your SA passport to enter and leave SA.

But it is still a requirement to obtain permission to gain a foreign nationality if you want to keep your SA nationality as well. I recently had to do this and applied for a section 6 letter that gives me permission to hold dual nationality without losing my SA nationality.

Does this make sense?

Grant
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 10:30 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

banjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud ofbanjo has much to be proud of

Hi Banjo and Bruce

This is how I see it:

In the past if you had dual citizenship and therefore two passports it was a requirement to obtain permission to use another passport other than your SA one (section 9), but this has now been done away with and you can use foreign passports freely, as long as you use your SA passport to enter and leave SA.

But it is still a requirement to obtain permission to gain a foreign nationality if you want to keep your SA nationality as well. I recently had to do this and applied for a section 6 letter that gives me permission to hold dual nationality without losing my SA nationality.

Does this make sense?

Grant
Hi Granite.....clear as mud! Actually it is a little clearer. After your last post I looked again at the two 'sections' and kind of thought maybe that was what they were getting at. I will try and get hold of the SA High Commission here in Oz to sort it out. I am applying for citizenship here in two weeks.....will that give me enough time do you think?
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 10:54 am
Just Joined

GRANiTe is on a distinguished road

Hi Granite.....clear as mud! Actually it is a little clearer. After your last post I looked again at the two 'sections' and kind of thought maybe that was what they were getting at. I will try and get hold of the SA High Commission here in Oz to sort it out. I am applying for citizenship here in two weeks.....will that give me enough time do you think?
LOL, it's clear as mud for me too. Over here in the UK it's about a 2 month process to get the exemption letter, I first had to get a letter from the British High Commision stating that I did not have British Citizenship yet and then I sent in that letter with my application to the SA High Commision to apply for the exemption letter.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 6:57 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Oh brother. My head explodeth!

The kids have never had S.A. passports, though we did obtain the permission letter when we left asking for permission to use the foreign passport.

We're thinking of visiting this year, and I assume we'll have to get them S.A. passports before then?
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 7:23 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

2 months?? I'd better ring them today then.

Izibear... yes, if you are planning on visiting then you would need passports for the children....bare in mind they are done in SA and tend to take a while.
Old Jan 3rd 2006, 11:35 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

OK....straight from the horses' mouth. VERY bad news for me I'm afraid.... You DO have to apply to retain your SA citizenship and from here it will take 6-9 months! You can't have your ceremony before being in receipt of your exemption letter. If you lose your SA citizenship like this you have to go and live there to fulfil the residency requirement before being able to resume it again.

Basically that means that my children and I will lose our citizenship in 2 weeks time. Not that I envisage going back to live there, but all my family are still there and now I won't have any good reason to support the Boks or the Proteas.

I'm incredibly fustrated right now. Anyway Granite....thanks to you for making it all clear otherwise I would still be none the wiser.
Old Jan 4th 2006, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Luma,

My husband and I did the 'obligatory' stint in the UK for three years before moving to Melbourne in 2003. We had never planned to stay in the UK long term but we apprehensive about returning to SA and so here we are. So far, we are having a great time and although we still get homesick and have days of 'stuff it, I am going back to SA', they soon pass and we appreciate that we are lucky to be where we are.

That said, Australia is very much Australia and I agree with Banjo who said that it's not a safe South Africa, it is very much it's own place. If you have any questions, fire away and I will try my best to answer the,

There are a number of seffas on the forum, Amazulu (not surprisingly) who lives in Perth springs to mind.

Hey Banjo, we have applied for our 'retention of citizenship' for SA as we would like to apply for Australian citizenship and we were told we would have to wait 6 months (good ol' South African home affairs ) but we aren't in much of a hurry. That was about two months ago and haven't heard anything. I wouldn't give up my South African citizenship, why burn your bridges, that's what I say and it's going to take a fair bit to convince me to support the Australian cricket team (although if Graeme Smith carries on playing the way he is... )
Old Jan 5th 2006, 3:13 am
Ping Pong Wannabe

I'm not sure I could ever support the aussie cricket team.....I've tried, but I just can't get excited about them. This is the first series I've followed for a while and am more than a little disappointed with the Proteas actually. There doesn't seem to be any urgency in their play, and Kallis (once my fave) seems to have gone all weird. He's just got Gibbs run out so that doesn't help!

Now, with regards to the retention of citizenship thing - is it enough to have applied, or do you actually need to have the letter before you take up your Aussie (or other) citizenship?
Old Jan 5th 2006, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I'm not sure I could ever support the aussie cricket team.....I've tried, but I just can't get excited about them. This is the first series I've followed for a while and am more than a little disappointed with the Proteas actually. There doesn't seem to be any urgency in their play, and Kallis (once my fave) seems to have gone all weird. He's just got Gibbs run out so that doesn't help!

Now, with regards to the retention of citizenship thing - is it enough to have applied, or do you actually need to have the letter before you take up your Aussie (or other) citizenship?
Hi Banjo,

As far as I can tell, you need to have your SA citizenship certificate first before you can apply for another citizenship. Just a word of advice though, we sent in our 'retention of citizenship' forms thinking it would be sufficient but nooooo. We also had to send in a 'determination of citizenship status' (apparently, it's not enough being born in SA), so they wrote to us to let us know and he then had to send those in also which delayed the process by a few weeks.
http://home-affairs.pwv.gov.za/documents/bi-1664.pdf
http://home-affairs.pwv.gov.za/documents/bi-529e.pdf

As for the cricket, I think that the only reason Australia is better than SA is because Australia thinks they are better than SA, and unfortunately the psychological element takes it toll on the SA team. Yes, South Africa have made stupid mistakes ("catches win matches" at the end of the day and their fielding hasn't been up to scratch but then neither has Australias. At the end of the day it has really come down to luck, Australia keep winning the toss and when SA do finally win it, it bloody rains . Both Smith and Kallis have had disappointing tours but on the whole are exceptional players. The South African team have shown just how good they actually are given they are playing in Australia and compared to Australia, are very young team (Graeme Smith is only 24, De Villiers is 21) and I would like to see what will happen to Aus when their best players retire (Ponting, Warne, Mcgrath) which will be soon, they aren't getting any younger. Yadda yadda, anyway, that's my view of it

Last edited by Shellfish; Jan 5th 2006 at 11:24 pm.
Old Jan 6th 2006, 3:31 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Hi Banjo,

As far as I can tell, you need to have your SA citizenship certificate first before you can apply for another citizenship. Just a word of advice though, we sent in our 'retention of citizenship' forms thinking it would be sufficient but nooooo. We also had to send in a 'determination of citizenship status' (apparently, it's not enough being born in SA), so they wrote to us to let us know and he then had to send those in also which delayed the process by a few weeks.
http://home-affairs.pwv.gov.za/documents/bi-1664.pdf
http://home-affairs.pwv.gov.za/documents/bi-529e.pdf

As for the cricket, I think that the only reason Australia is better than SA is because Australia thinks they are better than SA, and unfortunately the psychological element takes it toll on the SA team. Yes, South Africa have made stupid mistakes ("catches win matches" at the end of the day and their fielding hasn't been up to scratch but then neither has Australias. At the end of the day it has really come down to luck, Australia keep winning the toss and when SA do finally win it, it bloody rains . Both Smith and Kallis have had disappointing tours but on the whole are exceptional players. The South African team have shown just how good they actually are given they are playing in Australia and compared to Australia, are very young team (Graeme Smith is only 24, De Villiers is 21) and I would like to see what will happen to Aus when their best players retire (Ponting, Warne, Mcgrath) which will be soon, they aren't getting any younger. Yadda yadda, anyway, that's my view of it
OK, I have to take that back about the cricket because SA are about to lose
Old Jan 14th 2006, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

depaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud ofdepaiva has much to be proud of

Hi all,

We are SA's living in the middle east but have done stint in the UK and now applying for AUS.

After reading all these messages about citizenship im beginning to get a bit concerned . Family all have dual citizenship but have no letters or authority etc that has been mentioned on here. I was not born in SA so I think I should be ok as my other citizenship was obtained at birth. However hubby and kids all born in SA and only obtained citizenship of 2nd country later on.

From what I can see the law was introduced in 1995?? is this right and if so what is the situation if the 2nd citizenship was obtained prior to then and what if it was obtained after???

HELP im really confused and starting to get concerned as we need to renew passports very soon. :scared::scared:

Thanks for any help or info
Old Jan 14th 2006, 8:19 pm
Ping Pong Wannabe

Hi Depaiva,

I'm sorry to say that if you haven't applied for the exemptions then in all likelihood your SA citizenships would have fallen away. This is even more likely if you became dual citizens some time ago.

Granite.......you out there? I'm sure you' be able to work this one out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.