First Time Vehicle Registration
- When you purchase a vehicle you will have to register it and get a licence plate for it.
- To obtain a licence plate, you will need:
- a bill of sale (which you will obtain when you buy your vehicle)
- valid insurance for the vehicle
- proof of your identity
- Find a Registry Agent.
- Go to the Registry Office, and present your bill of sale and proof of insurance.
- The Registry Agent will give you a licence plate for your vehicle.
- The Registry Agent also will give you a registration certificate for the vehicle and stickers (validation tags) that you need to attached to the licence plate.
- The validation tags show the month and year of the expiry of your registration, which lasts one year.
- The licence plate stays with you and will be transferred to your next vehicle.
- If you own more than one vehicle, you must have a separate licence plate for each vehicle.
- The price of a year's registration is approximately $70 plus 5% GST.
Renewal of Vehicle Registration
- If there have been no changes in your vehicle information and/or your address, you can renew your vehicle registration on-line.
- A new vehicle registration certificate and tabs (validation stickers) for your licence plate will be mailed to you within 10 business days.
- Alberta government's website on Registering a Vehicle