Retiring in Canada

From Wiki
Jump to navigation Jump to search

  • The Canadian immigration system does not have a category for retirees.

  • A Canadian citizen or permanent resident who is living in Canada can, however, sponsor a parent or grandparent as a Family Class applicant.

  • But be aware that the application process currently takes about five years, but this time is predicted to rise considerably in the near future (some are saying 13 years processing time will be the norm!) and that the sponsor incurs significant financial obligations.

  • If you have an adult child in Canada who could sponsor your permanent residence application to Canada -- or, conversely, if you are an adult who would like to sponsor his/her parent's PR application -- there are some workarounds that you may be able to implement. Please see the BE forum discussion thread entitled [Retiring to Canada].