Netherlands - Lifestyle

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search

Short guide to living in The Netherlands. (Most websites, logically, are in the Dutch language).

Legalisation of personal documents.

If you want the Dutch authorities to recognise U.K. documents (like birth or marriage certificates etc) you must obtain an apostille stamp. More information can be found at the Foreign Office website.
When you live in The Netherlands you have to register with the authorities: (Registration for EU citizens, in English)

Work related information.

Health care: if you work in the country then you will have to pay into the Dutch social contributions system. How much you pay depends on personal circumstances. Everyone aged over 18 is also be required to take Dutch basic health insurance; children are covered free of charge with a parent's insurance policy. Note: generic global health polices are not the same, as the Dutch government dictates what insurers under the Dutch scheme must pay out for. The low- and non-waged can receive a tax refund monthly towards the cost of the Health Insurance policy.

These websites are useful for information and comparison: Some are no longer independent of an insurance company so please do you homework before sigining up to any insurance offered. (Kies Beter, Choose Better)

(Step by step guide to apply for financial assistance to pay Health Insurance)

Like all EU countries there is a National minimum wage (In Dutch minimumloon). minimumloon/minimum wage
Tax calculator

How to find work in The Netherlands:

Information includes how obtain official recognition of your qualifications.
Just click the drop down until you find your profession De Nuffic website.

Feel you have a grudge about your temporary contract? Then contact this group. [1]

Some highly-skilled workers may be eligible for the 30% rule (meaning 30% of the base salary is untaxed for 8 years). The rules are complicated and it is advised that you ask your employer more about this or contact a tax advisor, of which there are many. Link to the official Dutch tax service's information on the 30% ruling.

Setting up a business? The first point of contact is this group: Note it is also obligatory to register the company here. Dutch chamber of commerce
The Kamer van Koophandel will be able to tell you all the requirements you have to satisfy when starting a company; i.e. qualifications needed and regulations you have to abide by. Some information is given free and some you will have to pay for.

Some job agencies, but not an exhaustive list. (UK Job Centre equivalent)
The above come with no recommendation whatsoever!

Many low skilled, temporary, seasonal and/or zero hour contract roles are offered by the Uitzendbureaus (Temp agencies).

On the highway:

Rules about driving with an EU drivers licence. EU website Dutch website

Importing a car? Contact the government body. They can explain, in English, the procedure. Details in English

Brief explanation of driving rules:
Driving knowledge

Car Insurance comparison websites:
site 1
site 2

Using public transport?
Route planner.

Other information:

cost of living calculator:

You should not rent or buy a property from any company that is not registered under NVM. If you do your protection under the law is greatly reduced.

Below are probably the most comprehensive agent websites for The Netherlands, but there are more. To purchase: To rent: Second website for rentals:

Moving with Pets from the U.K. DEFRA website

Free online course to learn Dutch.
site 1
site 2 <-- This link is broken, noticed September 2017
Dutch TV and Radio guide

Netinnederland Selection of Dutch TV programmes with English subtitles, for listening practice (includes the national news)

List of some international schools, some are independent of the Dutch educational system. International schools

Dutch yellow pages