Life Expectancy of Canadian House
Life Expectancy Chart
- Average life of component is expressed in years.
- Numbers have been taken from post #3 by MB-Realtor in this thread on the BE forum.
- These figures are broad brush strokes.
- Life expectancy of certain components tends to vary across the country.
- It also depends on home owners' diligence in maintaining their properties.
- The numbers quoted here are intended to give you a ball park idea.
- asphalt standard shingle 12-15
- asphalt premium shingle 15-30
- wood shingle 10-20
- concrete/clay tile 20-40
- asbestos cement 40-80
- slate tile 40-80
- roll roofing 5-15
- tar & gravel 15-25
- metal 60
- forced air furnace 10-25
- oil tank 20
- water/steam boiler - welded steel 15-30
- water/steam boiler - cast iron 30-50
- water/steam circulating pump 10-25
- central air 10-15
- heat pump 10-15
- window air conditioning 10-20
- galvanized water pipe 20-25
- hot water heater 5-15
- septic/sewer pump 5-10
- well pump 10
- dishwasher 5-10
- dryer 10-25
- garbage disposal 5-12
- oven/range 15-20
- washing machine 5-15
- If this information is of interest to you, you also may be interested in the article entitled House Inspection Checklist-Canada.
- There are other relevant articles in the series on Housing in Canada.