The B2 Visa is issued for purposes of tourism or non-business related activities.
Validity and Length of stay
It is usually valid for 10 years, allowing entries into the US of up to 6 months.
Who can get one?
- Citizens of countries who do not participate in the VWP
- Citizens of VWP who are ineligible for the VWP (e.g. due to CIMTs)
- Citizens of VWP who are of retirement age
Who is unlikely to get one?
- Citizens of VWP countries who are eligible to use the VWP
- It is NOT a visa for long holidays
- It is NOT a visa for visiting your boy/girlfriend for longer than 90 days
What are the consequences of denial?
- If you can not prove a lack of immigrant intent and strong ties to your home country and a reason why the VWP is insufficient for your needs it will be denied
- Denied applications for a B2 will immediately invalidate any pre-existing ESTA authorization
- Denied applications for a B2 must be declared on future ESTA applications and is very likely to negatively affect the granting of ESTA
- There are no set guidelines but it is recommended to wait at least 6 months after a denial before re-applying for ESTA.
- Roughly 1 in 4 applications for a B visa by a British national are denied 2011 Refusal statistics