Visa in Old Passport-Australia
If you have obtained a new passport since your Australian visa was stamped, you have two options.
- Carry both old and new passports;
- Get a new visa stamped at a DIAC office.
Carry both old and new passports
- Perfectly legal as far as DIAC are concerned;
- However, not all airline staff will know about this and hence you should leave plenty of time for check-in and preferably, get an email confirmation from the airline in advance that this is acceptable.
Get visa re-stamped at a DIAC office
- Any DIAC office can do this, normally on a "walk-in" basis.
- If the old passport was lost or stolen, it might take a few days to get a new label.
- Unless the visa is a Resident Return Visa (subclass 155 or 157) there is no charge - see current form 990i. Some DIAC officers will try to apply a charge and you should speak to a supervisor/manager if this happens.
- If offshore, you will need to check the local procedure. Some DIAC offices offshore may not want to re-stamp however they have to do so if the old visa label was lost or stolen.