Difference between revisions of "Category:Canadian Lifestyle"

From Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search
(Removing all content from page)
Line 1: Line 1:
=Truck Driving=
*Many companies recruit truck drivers from overseas. Some employers are better than others.
*You should not have to go through an immigration agent in order to get a job as a truck driver in Canada.  Approach with caution any employer who will recruit only through an immigration agent. 
*You should not have to pay any fees other than those that the Canadian government charges for the migration process.
*If your situation is more complex than usual, you might want to retain an immigration consultant of '''your''' choice.  In most cases, however, if you are willing to wade through the instructions and complete the forms, you can handle the paperwork yourself.
*The better companies pay for the driver's air fare from the UK to Canada.
*It has been reported that some companies pay a lower training wage in your first year.  You do not have to settle for this.  There are enough companies out there that start you out on full wages.
*As with all moves to Canada, migrating as a trucker requires a lot of research.
*Two to three years' experience as a truck driver
*Clean driver's licence
*Drug free (you will be tested)
*Clean police record
*No impediments against crossing Canada-USA border
==Issues to consider==
*What kind of work do you want to do?
*What kind of equipment do you want to drive?
*Where do you want to live?
*Will your family be OK with your being away on the road for 10 - 14 days at a time?
==The way the system works==
*Most companies pay you $0.30 - $0.40 per mile that you drive. 
*Most use PC Miler or HUB Miles to count the miles you drive.
*If you aren't driving, you aren't earning.
*You need to negotiate a contract that addresses issues like Loading Pay, Breakdown Pay, Layover Pay, etc.
*Pay could be $50,000 - $70.000 per year or more; it depends largely on how much you want to work.
*[http://www.canadiantruckers.com '''Canadian Truckers'''] has a link to every province and companies that are hiring in each province.
*[http://www.trucknetuk.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=0e1fa7e603e3770fb8bd78ca9ae6%20421b '''Expat page of TruckNet UK''']
*[http://www.onlinetruckers.co.uk '''Online Truckers'''] - check out Canadian drivers forum
==Some companies that are recruiting from the UK==
*[http://www.bigfreight.com '''Big Freight System Inc.''']
*[http://www.westcanbulktransport.com '''Westcan Bulk Transport''']
*[http://www.siemenstransport.com '''Siemens Transport Group Inc.''']
*[http://www.hrtrans.com '''H & R Transport Ltd.''']
*[http://www.bisontransport.com '''Bison Transport'''] - use an immigration agent, but will not reject you if you go to their Winnipeg HQ with the relevent paperwork
==Immigration formalities==
Most British truck drivers come to Canada through a [http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/provnom/index.html '''Provincial Nominee Program'''] (PNP) or on a [http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/index.html '''Temporary Work Permit'''] (WP).  If you initially come to Canada on a Work Permit, you can follow up by applying for [http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/skilled/index.html '''Permanent Residence as a Skilled Worker'''].

Revision as of 06:40, 28 February 2007