Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Working in Melbourne as a hairdresser - whats the deal?

Working in Melbourne as a hairdresser - whats the deal?

Old Sep 6th 2005, 5:18 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Working in Melbourne as a hairdresser - whats the deal?

Originally Posted by debdex
thanks for that deb, so how long have you been in oz? how long did your application take? i have got an agent and he has been fantastic so far really helped me, so im just waiting for my TRA to come back so keeping my fingers crossed. did you get a job straight away or travel for a bit first? where are you from in england? haha you said i could ask you some questions well you no us hairdressers like to get all the info x

Sorry for the delay in reply Deb..

Now where were we..
Right, I have been in Perth for five months now, our application took about eighteen months, we also went through an agent. Looking back it was money well spent, he kept me right with all the questions ect..
I don't think you will have any problems concerning your TRA, hairdressers are in shortage here so I am sure it will come back postive..
I did get a job but not straight away, here in Perth you have to register as a hairdresser, then you have to take a theory and practical test..(just another money making scam if you ask me.. )
I may be wrong but I think this only applies in WA, don't quote me though..
I orginate from Newcastle upon Tyne (another Geordie.. )

And yes, we hairdressers are nebby buggers....

Hope all goes well for you Deb, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you..

Good luck

Deb...
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:27 am
Forum Regular

lisaxxx will become famous soon enoughlisaxxx will become famous soon enough

hi lisa i am in thr process of applying if u keep in touch i would be interested in a job. where r u from in england and how long have you been in oz? debx
Hello debdex, we have been here 22 yrs and are originally from East London (Leytonstone and Stepney).
Yes, we must keep in touch.
Do you plan to come to Brissie?
lisaxxx
Old Sep 6th 2005, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Louiselondon
Hope the staffing problem improves soon, the state sponsorship varies from state to state, you may wish to check your state.
Louise
Hello Louise, thanks for replying. Us sponsoring her may be another option, but I will certainly be making a few enquiries.
lisaxxx
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

debdex is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by deba34
Sorry for the delay in reply Deb..

Now where were we..
Right, I have been in Perth for five months now, our application took about eighteen months, we also went through an agent. Looking back it was money well spent, he kept me right with all the questions ect..
I don't think you will have any problems concerning your TRA, hairdressers are in shortage here so I am sure it will come back postive..
I did get a job but not straight away, here in Perth you have to register as a hairdresser, then you have to take a theory and practical test..(just another money making scam if you ask me.. )
I may be wrong but I think this only applies in WA, don't quote me though..
I orginate from Newcastle upon Tyne (another Geordie.. )

And yes, we hairdressers are nebby buggers....

Hope all goes well for you Deb, I'll keep my fingers crossed for you..

Good luck

Deb...
hi deb thanks for info, i will look into the registration thing. how much did it cost then? have you travelled about a lot since youve been there or did you settle in perth straight away? are you with your husband? what does he do? im beibg nosey again haha

oh can they understand your dulcit tones over there!!!! haha cheeky
Old Sep 6th 2005, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lisaxxx
Hello debdex, we have been here 22 yrs and are originally from East London (Leytonstone and Stepney).
Yes, we must keep in touch.
Do you plan to come to Brissie?
lisaxxx
hi lisa, 22 yrs wow. so u can give me some advice then as i dont really have a plan of where to come, i fancy melbourne or brisbane what do u reckon??
how long have you had your salon?? how many staff have you got? are you really busy? haha too many questions

c ya debx
Old Sep 7th 2005, 9:25 am
Deb

Deb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond reputeDeb has a reputation beyond repute

hi deb thanks for info, i will look into the registration thing. how much did it cost then? have you travelled about a lot since youve been there or did you settle in perth straight away? are you with your husband? what does he do? im beibg nosey again haha

oh can they understand your dulcit tones over there!!!! haha cheeky

LOL...

No probs Deb, just ask away...

If I remember right the registration costs about $120 dollors and then $80 a year after that, the tests cost around $400 - $600..
We have settled in Perth straight away, limited funds prevented any travelling, so we have just plodded on straight away with jobs ect..
Yes, I have a hubby, he is working for Aus Post at the moment but has an interview coming up soon for a steel company so we have everything crossed for that..

And yes, I do have difficulty at times making myself understood...

Hope all goes well for you..

Deb...
Old Sep 20th 2005, 12:06 am
Hibees Hibees

gary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nicegary stewart is just really nice

Hi, I was interested to read your post about the state of Victoria sponsoring hairdressers. Do you know if this is a nationwide initiative? My salon is in Brisbane.
I have had a lot of trouble getting staff but am employing a great canadian hairdresser on a working/holiday visa at the moment. However, she would like to stay permanently and this may be an option for us to look into as currently I can only employ her for three months.

lisaxxx
p.s anyone coming to Brisbane and looking for a job please contact me
hi lisa ,about to start the ball rolling ,have been hairdresser for 15 years I am 33 with a hubby and 2 kids if we are successfull can i get in touch.julie
Old Sep 21st 2005, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gary stewart
hi lisa ,about to start the ball rolling ,have been hairdresser for 15 years I am 33 with a hubby and 2 kids if we are successfull can i get in touch.julie
hello Julie,
Yes, please keep in touch. Things seem to be getting easier for people to emigrate now, so it should'nt be too traumatic!!
All the best
lisaxxx
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

hi lisa, 22 yrs wow. so u can give me some advice then as i dont really have a plan of where to come, i fancy melbourne or brisbane what do u reckon??
how long have you had your salon?? how many staff have you got? are you really busy? haha too many questions

c ya debx
hello deb
we decided on brisbane because we hate the cold and rain!! But Melbourne is a lot bigger and more culturally mature (if you know what I mean) Melbourne is veryfashion conscious, more like London, but Brissie is more like L A They don't call it the sunshine state for nothing! However there is a huge amount of southerners migrating north as the price of houses are more affordable here and Brisbane is becoming more cosmopolitan.
We came from London and didn't want to live in a big city again, so we love it here. We just spent 4 days up at Hervey Bay where we went to Fraser Island and also went Whale watching where we saw so many whales..... it was awesome!!!
Why choose Melbourne??
I have had the salon for 3 yrs and the staffing issue has been a problem from the start
Today my 1st year app resigned because her parents have just separated and she is going to live with her father on the gold coast.
We also have a senior stylist, but she is on a working visa and under the visa restrictions I am only allowed to employ her for 3 mths. So it has been an on going problem. Especially as we are very busy and cannot grow as we cant find the staff
Anyway I must think positive, things will change
All the best
lisaxxx
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:35 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

hello deb
we decided on brisbane because we hate the cold and rain!! But Melbourne is a lot bigger and more culturally mature (if you know what I mean) Melbourne is veryfashion conscious, more like London, but Brissie is more like L A They don't call it the sunshine state for nothing! However there is a huge amount of southerners migrating north as the price of houses are more affordable here and Brisbane is becoming more cosmopolitan.
We came from London and didn't want to live in a big city again, so we love it here. We just spent 4 days up at Hervey Bay where we went to Fraser Island and also went Whale watching where we saw so many whales..... it was awesome!!!
Why choose Melbourne??
I have had the salon for 3 yrs and the staffing issue has been a problem from the start
Today my 1st year app resigned because her parents have just separated and she is going to live with her father on the gold coast.
We also have a senior stylist, but she is on a working visa and under the visa restrictions I am only allowed to employ her for 3 mths. So it has been an on going problem. Especially as we are very busy and cannot grow as we cant find the staff
All the best
lisaxxx
Hi Lisa

My husband is a hairdresser and we'll be in Brisbane hopefully early next year. We've just had the medical requests so hopefully not too far off getting our visa now. Just have the salon and house sale to go through and we'll be on the first plane out of here.

We will never buy a salon again.............far too many staff problems and too much stress!!!! My hubby loves the creative side of hairdressing, not the business side.

At the moment we are undecided as to where we're heading for. Either Brisbane (Bulimba, Morningside or surrounds) or Gold Coast. Where about's is your salon? Would my husband be able to travel from Bulimba?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The A Team
Hi Lisa

My husband is a hairdresser and we'll be in Brisbane hopefully early next year. We've just had the medical requests so hopefully not too far off getting our visa now. Just have the salon and house sale to go through and we'll be on the first plane out of here.

We will never buy a salon again.............far too many staff problems and too much stress!!!! My hubby loves the creative side of hairdressing, not the business side.

At the moment we are undecided as to where we're heading for. Either Brisbane (Bulimba, Morningside or surrounds) or Gold Coast. Where about's is your salon? Would my husband be able to travel from Bulimba?
Hi, we are about 15 mins from the city on the northside and Bulimba is 10 mins on the southside so its very easy to get to the salon from there.
A car would be easier as you would have to get a bus into the city and then out again which is a pain!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:51 am
cheeky tart

The A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond reputeThe A Team has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, we are about 15 mins from the city on the northside and Bulimba is 10 mins on the southside so its very easy to get to the salon from there.
A car would be easier as you would have to get a bus into the city and then out again which is a pain!
Ok, I'll tell him to get in touch with you nearer the time then

Just a thought, could you get the ferry across the river and catch a bus from there?

In the meantime good luck with your staffing problems, I soooooo know what you're going through
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=The A Team]Ok, I'll tell him to get in touch with you nearer the time then

Just a thought, could you get the ferry across the river and catch a bus from there?

In the meantime good luck with your staffing problems, I soooooo know what you're going through

Thanks for the sympathy,and yes he could get a ferry then a bus.
How old are your kids???
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 10:02 am
cheeky tart

[QUOTE=lisaxxx]
Originally Posted by The A Team
Ok, I'll tell him to get in touch with you nearer the time then

Thanks for the sympathy,and yes he could get a ferry then a bus.
How old are your kids???
Have sent you a PM!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

hello deb
Why choose Melbourne??
All the best
lisaxxx
thanks for that lisa, you are having troubles arent you. well ive worked my notice over here so am lookin for a new job until i can get into oz, got six salons to phone and check out keep your fingers crossed for me. Ill be fine im sure but feel in limbo waiting at the mo.
you must stay positive if you can hold out looks like you might have a sudden influx of brits coming to you for jobs!!!! haha

oh and just to cheer you up it is persisting it down here today!!! haha

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.