Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

working as a doctor in Canada

working as a doctor in Canada

Old Oct 23rd 2004, 2:46 pm
Just Joined

jane2 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default working as a doctor in Canada

Is there anyone who has actually been through the process of training as a doctor in the UK and then moving to Canada and transferring to work there? Is it difficult? Expensive? Time-consuming? Is it hard to find work as a doctor in Canada?

Do you think it would, in the long run, be better to train in Canada? Would it be hard for me as a UK graduate to apply to medical school in Canada and then to stay and work there? sorry for the myriad of questions, and thanks in advance for replies. (I'm posting this on the Canada forum and on the working abroad one, as I wasn't sure where would be best....)
Old Oct 25th 2004, 12:28 am
Just Joined

Shannon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: working as a doctor in Canada

Hi,

From what I know, it is quite hard to practice medicine in Canada if you are trained abroad. You can read more about the practice of medicine for foreing doctors using the following link:

Medical Council of Canada (MCC)
P.O. Box 8234, Station T
Ottawa ON K1G 3H7 Canada
Tel.: (613) 521-6012
Fax: (613) 521-9417
http://www.mcc.ca/

You can also check out a few info there:

http://www.cicic.ca/professions/3112en.asp

Good luck,

Shannon
[email protected]

Originally Posted by jane2
Is there anyone who has actually been through the process of training as a doctor in the UK and then moving to Canada and transferring to work there? Is it difficult? Expensive? Time-consuming? Is it hard to find work as a doctor in Canada?

Do you think it would, in the long run, be better to train in Canada? Would it be hard for me as a UK graduate to apply to medical school in Canada and then to stay and work there? sorry for the myriad of questions, and thanks in advance for replies. (I'm posting this on the Canada forum and on the working abroad one, as I wasn't sure where would be best....)
Old Oct 31st 2004, 8:05 am
Forum Regular

mrs. liftman is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Re: working as a doctor in Canada

Originally Posted by jane2

If you train in the UK and apply to work in Canada you will have to do your finals again in Canada. If you have not yet started make extensive enquiries and then do some more, you will never have done enought!