Work Question

Old Apr 26th 2004, 6:50 pm
Forum Regular

Jess2100 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Work Question

I wasn't sure were to post my question, thisis nothing about working abroad. Thought I could use some opinions. I was hired with "X" company in Nov 2003 as a temp. About a month ago they let some people go, I was lucky to stay. I don't make awhole lot of money, the good pay comes from OT while travelling. I was travelling about every 2 weeks and home for 2 weeks. The trips slowed down due to financial reasons. During this time without trips, I was given a new task to work on while in the office. I was told that when trips come up I will still be on them. Trips are coming up, and the big boss told my boss not to count me on those trips. So, now I am making a lot less money. This project they have me working on is in the field for what I got my degree in. I know if they hire someone outside to do what I am doing they will have to pay the person more money. I think they are using me to save money. I am just a temp, not sure how much of a fuss I should make. The company that hired us out to this "X" company wants us to tell them if our duties change. Should I tell my hiring company? Should I explain to the big boss that I am now making far less money than anyone here, and you told me I'd still go on trips...why Im I not going out? Anyone have any advice out there? Thanks.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 6:07 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Work Question

Originally posted by Jess2100
I wasn't sure were to post my question, thisis nothing about working abroad. Thought I could use some opinions. I was hired with "X" company in Nov 2003 as a temp. About a month ago they let some people go, I was lucky to stay. I don't make awhole lot of money, the good pay comes from OT while travelling. I was travelling about every 2 weeks and home for 2 weeks. The trips slowed down due to financial reasons. During this time without trips, I was given a new task to work on while in the office. I was told that when trips come up I will still be on them. Trips are coming up, and the big boss told my boss not to count me on those trips. So, now I am making a lot less money. This project they have me working on is in the field for what I got my degree in. I know if they hire someone outside to do what I am doing they will have to pay the person more money. I think they are using me to save money. I am just a temp, not sure how much of a fuss I should make. The company that hired us out to this "X" company wants us to tell them if our duties change. Should I tell my hiring company? Should I explain to the big boss that I am now making far less money than anyone here, and you told me I'd still go on trips...why Im I not going out? Anyone have any advice out there? Thanks.
You need to tell the hiring company that your duties have changed materially from when you initially took the job. Let them deal with the employer, as that is what they get paid for. Depending on where you are in the US, you have rights even as a temp.