Reload this Page >

From UK Paramedic to QLD, Aus?

From UK Paramedic to QLD, Aus?

Old Jan 10th 2020, 5:11 pm
Just Joined

awildgemappears is an unknown quantity at this point
Default From UK Paramedic to QLD, Aus?

Hello!

I'm a UK Paramedic (currently working in GP Practices having come off frontline service recently).
My other half has family in Townsville, Queenland and we'd love to move over there. BUT, I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it.
He is a police officer and will only have the option of moving out there if there is a transfer offered to officers in his force and who knows when that will be.
I have tried talking to QAS but they won't recruitment from here, even though I've said I don't need sponsoring or anything like that, I just need a job so I can get the visa. They won't accept me as a graduate (I'm more than happy to start at the bottom again).
They sent me to talk to APHRA but that's hit a brick wall as it seems to cost £0000s without the guarantee of registration as they won't look at my education/qualifications until I go into the system.

HELP.

Thanks!
Old Jan 11th 2020, 12:18 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: From UK Paramedic to QLD, Aus?

Originally Posted by awildgemappears
Hello!

I'm a UK Paramedic (currently working in GP Practices having come off frontline service recently).
My other half has family in Townsville, Queenland and we'd love to move over there. BUT, I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it.
He is a police officer and will only have the option of moving out there if there is a transfer offered to officers in his force and who knows when that will be.
I have tried talking to QAS but they won't recruitment from here, even though I've said I don't need sponsoring or anything like that, I just need a job so I can get the visa. They won't accept me as a graduate (I'm more than happy to start at the bottom again).
They sent me to talk to APHRA but that's hit a brick wall as it seems to cost £0000s without the guarantee of registration as they won't look at my education/qualifications until I go into the system.

HELP.

Thanks!
I can unfortunately confirm that QAS won't look at you until you have a visa allowing you to work, They used to sponsor but these days the money isn't there and there are masses of domestic candidates waiting for jobs too. The same is going to be true with QPS - they don't sponsor and have a long waiting list.
I don't think police officer has been added to any of the skills lists, so you would need to check the requirements for a skills assessment for a paramedic to see if you can get an independent visa. AHPRA requirements should be on their website, but as you have found they are a pain to deal with.
Might be worth a chat with an agent - several good ones post on here, my own recommendation is George Lombard.
Also check out the Australia forum for previous threads on paramedics, it comes up fairly regularly.