Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

TRA requirements for hairdressing

TRA requirements for hairdressing

Old Oct 5th 2009, 10:30 am
Just Joined

Twosey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default TRA requirements for hairdressing

Hi all, maybe someone in a similar position to myself or has already undergone TRA assessment can help me. I am currently (and have been since completing my NVQ level 2 in hairdressing), a Barber in the Uk. I was taken on over 10 years ago as a trainee, so i guess it could be classed as an informal apprenticeship, however along with the informal teaching of my employer, I completed NVQ levels 1 and 2 in hairdressing through a college (probably completed at some point in 2000). Since then I have not done any form of womens hairdressing, is it likely that this may affect passing the TRA or because i trained in womens hair will this be adequate?
Also would anyone be able to offer me examples of what they submitted to the TRA, as I really would like a sort of template of a successful application to get me going on writing it. What is needed to submit an application? References? letters from training institutions? personal statements of duties? Any further help woul;d be greatlt appreciated!!!

Thanks Dewi
Old Oct 5th 2009, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

crispysince70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: TRA requirements for hairdressing

Hi, as far as I am aware (through talking to migration agents) the TRA are mainly interested in your training qualifications. They require that you have undertaken 900 hours training. If for example you were day release at college over a 2 year period to obatain your qualifications, then you will be deemed to have completed 600 hours training, which is 300 short. You will therefore have to prove that your 300 hours outstanding comes from your continued apprenteship through your employer so you will probably have to go to a solicitors with them for them to swear that you have done what you say you have done.
Probably the best thing to do would be to speak to a migration agent directly for them to assess your situation (it's free for the initial call) then you know wether you stand a chance or not.

I am a barber too and have had exactly the same questions though I think that yours may be more straighforward than mine is proving to be.