Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession
Reload this Page >

Teaching Question for hairdressing?

Teaching Question for hairdressing?

Old Apr 26th 2005, 10:55 pm
Just Joined

kaggs will become famous soon enoughkaggs will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Teaching Question for hairdressing?

Originally Posted by Marlo
Where abouts are you in the UK Kaggs? Do you still work for a salon?

I have been to Oz and the hairdressing wages are poor, as I said before the cost of living is high and the wages are low in comparison. Hard work always pays of where ever you live.

OH NO!!!!! in for a scarey shock.....not sure now if wages are good or poor? maybe just have to sell my body for extra cash..ha,ha. I am IN LIVERPOOL. we are waiting for our visa to come-maybe may,maybe june. I am working mobile at the moment-just for a short while- untill we go to oz.kaggs

Last edited by kaggs; Apr 26th 2005 at 11:01 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2005, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by kaggs
OH NO!!!!! in for a scarey shock.....not sure now if wages are good or poor? maybe just have to sell my body for extra cash..ha,ha. I am IN LIVERPOOL. we are waiting for our visa to come-maybe may,maybe june. I am working mobile at the moment-just for a short while- untill we go to oz.kaggs
I don't want to put you off Kaggs, just want you to be prepared because we were told a few fibs about wages before we went for our recce, having said that I think hard work always pays off. British hairdressing standards are supposed to be higher, Aussies only train for a year, apparently. I don't think you'll have trouble getting work and if you're that good then a decent salon should pay you well, if not mobile.

Which part of Oz are you heading? Do you have kids? Sorry to sound nosey, but finding money for just 1 or 2 people is easier than for a family.

Also, heard back from friend this morning, she said that mobile hairdressers can buy from the wholesalers and thought it amusing when I ask that question.

Hope this helps

Old Apr 27th 2005, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

lisaxxx will become famous soon enoughlisaxxx will become famous soon enough

Hi
I have been hairdressing for 30 yrs and trained with Stephen Way in Bond Street. I have been in Australia for 22 yrs and have always worked in very good salons in the city (Brisbane). I have had work published in magazines, done platform work, have done television work and have won competitions so I feel that my contribution holds some weight.
Hairdressing is a 4yr appreticeship here but there are some private colleges that offer 12 month fulltime courses and you are supposed to be fully qualified at the end. I have yet to come across a stylist that has completed a course to be up to senior stylist standard. I feel that to be competent you need to chalk up flying hours if you know what I mean!!!
As for british standards being better I think that it really depends on where you have trained but Australian hairdressing has a vey good reputation on the world arena.
If you are a good stylist it will take no time to build up a clientele.
lisa
[/QUOTE]
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:36 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lisaxxx
Hi
I have been hairdressing for 30 yrs and trained with Stephen Way in Bond Street. I have been in Australia for 22 yrs and have always worked in very good salons in the city (Brisbane). I have had work published in magazines, done platform work, have done television work and have won competitions so I feel that my contribution holds some weight.
Hairdressing is a 4yr appreticeship here but there are some private colleges that offer 12 month fulltime courses and you are supposed to be fully qualified at the end. I have yet to come across a stylist that has completed a course to be up to senior stylist standard. I feel that to be competent you need to chalk up flying hours if you know what I mean!!!
As for british standards being better I think that it really depends on where you have trained but Australian hairdressing has a vey good reputation on the world arena.
If you are a good stylist it will take no time to build up a clientele.
[/QUOTE] you have the same experience as me,except ihave been hairdressing for 20yrs.i have not opened my own salon yet!!!! but was thinking about it in Oz but, sounds like you cant get the staff to staff the salon :scared: iam 36[oh no not so old!] and have a passion for hairdressing...but still scared of what to expect in Oz.I was hoping to work in a very good salon and pick up the Ozzy way.How long have you had your own salon? and did you find the road to success difficult?
Any advice would be welcomed kaggs. x
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:47 am
Just Joined

I don't want to put you off Kaggs, just want you to be prepared because we were told a few fibs about wages before we went for our recce, having said that I think hard work always pays off. British hairdressing standards are supposed to be higher, Aussies only train for a year, apparently. I don't think you'll have trouble getting work and if you're that good then a decent salon should pay you well, if not mobile.

Which part of Oz are you heading? Do you have kids? Sorry to sound nosey, but finding money for just 1 or 2 people is easier than for a family.

Also, heard back from friend this morning, she said that mobile hairdressers can buy from the wholesalers and thought it amusing when I ask that question.

Hope this helps

we are hopefully heading to the gold coast,as we have some friends there. we have 3 children aged 11,10 & 3. cant wait for the big lifestyle changes!!! Where abouts are you? Do you have a fambo or anything? Dont worry about being nosey....you weren't. kaggs. x
Old Apr 27th 2005, 10:51 am
Forum Regular

Marlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant futureMarlo has a brilliant future

we are hopefully heading to the gold coast,as we have some friends there. we have 3 children aged 11,10 & 3. cant wait for the big lifestyle changes!!! Where abouts are you? Do you have a fambo or anything? Dont worry about being nosey....you weren't. kaggs. x
Yes have 2 kids, looking at Victoria or even SA.

Are you going for a recce? Up to you and I know it's expensive but it would be a good idea, maybe you could meet up with Lisa and see what's available to you. Get a feel of things.

Good luck in you new adventure

Old Apr 27th 2005, 4:53 pm
Just Joined

Yes have 2 kids, looking at Victoria or even SA.

Are you going for a recce? Up to you and I know it's expensive but it would be a good idea, maybe you could meet up with Lisa and see what's available to you. Get a feel of things.

Good luck in you new adventure

what do you mean a recce? do you mean a relocation? if so, yes. we are also going to Oz for 4 weeks in july & august for a well earned holiday kaggs. x
Old Apr 27th 2005, 5:17 pm
Forum Regular

what do you mean a recce? do you mean a relocation? if so, yes. we are also going to Oz for 4 weeks in july & august for a well earned holiday kaggs. x
Hi Kaggs,

Your 4 week holiday will be your recce

I think it means reconnaissance which means to discover or survey, in other words gain information about an area.

Lots of luck
Old Apr 27th 2005, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

lisaxxx will become famous soon enoughlisaxxx will become famous soon enough

you have the same experience as me,except ihave been hairdressing for 20yrs.i have not opened my own salon yet!!!! but was thinking about it in Oz but, sounds like you cant get the staff to staff the salon :scared: iam 36[oh no not so old!] and have a passion for hairdressing...but still scared of what to expect in Oz.I was hoping to work in a very good salon and pick up the Ozzy way.How long have you had your own salon? and did you find the road to success difficult?
Any advice would be welcomed kaggs. x[/QUOTE]
Hi Kaggs, I have had the salon for nearly three years and yes it has been hard because of the staff problem. It is very different on the other side of the wage book!!! When you are forking out left right and centre and working your butt off, you do wonder if it's worth it, but to be honest, I like the challenge!!!
Lisa