Science Field

Old Jun 10th 2015, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of
Default Science Field

Hello everyone
I was curious about the science field in the UK. Is hard to get a job as an astronomer, chemist, etc.? What kind of schooling does someone need in Britain? Bachelor's degree? Master's degree? What's the competition like?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 12:51 am
Just Joined

Thunderclap is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Science Field

Originally Posted by LoveFortheUK
Hello everyone
I was curious about the science field in the UK. Is hard to get a job as an astronomer, chemist, etc.? What kind of schooling does someone need in Britain? Bachelor's degree? Master's degree? What's the competition like?
I'm going to assume that you're talking about an entry-level position. Many large chemical and pharmaceutical companies operating here in the UK have graduate schemes that are open to those holding Bachelor's degrees or higher (usually they stipulate that applicants must have graduated within the last two years or so). Successful completion of a graduate programme usually leads to professional membership of a society in your field (e.g. Royal Society of Chemistry, British Pharmacological Society, etc.). This may take longer or require further study if you hold a degree which is not accredited.
Some companies will also sponsor their employees if they wish to study for Master's degrees, providing they can demonstrate intellectual acumen, prepare a supporting business case and have several years' employment with them.
Competition for a place on a graduate scheme can be quite tough. For example, Manchester Airport Group's 2015 graduate programme had 2,000 applicants for only 20 places. Many other STEM graduate schemes are similarly oversubscribed. Psychometric, situational, verbal reasoning and numeracy assessments are also commonplace as part of the screening process during recruitment.
Failing to get on a graduate scheme isn't the end of the world; 'normal' entry-level roles exist too, which are the positions most graduates take up, as there's perhaps a little less competition.
What's your current position at present? Are you still studying?
Old Jun 16th 2015, 1:25 pm
Forum Regular

LoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud ofLoveFortheUK has much to be proud of

Hello Thunderclap
Thanks for the response.
I have a degree in accounting however, I've always loved science especially astronomy.
If i had the finances to go back to college and earn a science degree I would.
In the meantime, I am going through all the astronomy books I own to keep my mind fresh on the subject.
Yes, I know my constellations but astronomy is s o much more than that,
So, as much as I want to study science again, I'd like to know how hard is it to attend colleges in the UK? Is it better if I earn the degree here in the US? Would I still be able to find work at the age of (over 40) or do the people of Britain feel astronomy is only for the young? Would I be able to volunteer and prove myself that way in the hopes of getting a job? What kind of network exists for astronomers?
Old Jun 17th 2015, 1:37 am
Just Joined

Thunderclap is an unknown quantity at this point

If I were in your position, I would apply for a 'Tier 4 (General)' student visa and study in the UK.

You've got a couple of options:
- Postgraduate Diploma
- Master's Degree

With a finance/mathematical background you'd almost certainly meet the entry requirements for PG Dip, especially with your current background reading. Example: Search the University of York's site for "PG Dip in Astronomy". It's likely that you'd also meet the entry requirements for a Master's. Example: Search University of Sussex's website for "MSc in Astronomy" - US entry requirements are listed there.

Most Master's degrees are one year in duration and I'd recommend that you choose an MSc over a PG Dip, especially for employment purposes.

Some courses may be accredited by the Royal Astronomical Society and/or Institute of Physics - these are the ones to apply for, as it'll enable you to obtain professional registration in the future.

Being over 40 is unlikely to be a hindrance in terms of obtaining a visa, being offered a university place or seeking employment. All universities and most employers welcome mature applicants, including those seeking to change professions. Mature students are not uncommon at all here; I am approaching 30 and I have only just obtained my BSc (Hons). You won't be out of place if that's what you're concerned about.

I'm not sure about volunteering opportunities because it's quite a niche field, but certainly check the websites of the above societies, as most professional organisations have networking events.
Old Jun 18th 2015, 2:45 am
Forum Regular

Hi Thunderclap
Thank you very much for the information.
I'm happy to read that age in the UK is not a major factor as it is here in the US.
I'm not saying age discrimination doesn't happen there but over here in America it's a BIG problem.

Now I can start doing research on tier 4, MSc and PG.