Northern Ireland Qualified Solicitor requalifying in NSW

Wikiposts

Northern Ireland Qualified Solicitor requalifying in NSW

Old Aug 14th 2008, 4:00 am
Just Joined

treacs is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Northern Ireland Qualified Solicitor requalifying in NSW

Hi

I am a qualified solicitor in Northern Ireland (UK) and have one years PQE. I work for a boutique firm specializing in commerical litigation and insolvency. I will shortly be relocating to NSW (my husband is a paramedic). We will most likely be based in Sydney.

I know that I have to apply for exemption by have my academic qualifications assessed and after that have to apply to for practical training exemptions before being admitted. However I would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has

a) requalified in NSW
b) who has any advice or tips on law schools (for the modules you will have to sit) and law firms that take on internationally qualified lawyers for any practical training they have to do?
c) advice in general on salary/interviews/firms with good solid reputations and any other information

Cheers

Treacs
Old Aug 17th 2008, 10:30 am
G'day!

FlyingAussie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Northern Ireland Qualified Solicitor requalifying in NSW

Hello,

Will keep an eye on this topic, I am just about to resume my law studies, and in a few years I will be in the same position has you (if nothing changes).

Regards,
Pedro
Old Aug 21st 2008, 7:45 am
Elusive dreamer

gotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud ofgotoronto has much to be proud of
Default Re: Northern Ireland Qualified Solicitor requalifying in NSW

Treacs -

I can't advise on the modules, but I can tell you that Australia hires English solicitors from abroad - and I do not see why it would be different with respect to N.I.

On the work front, why don't you contact some of the major agencies - such as Taylor Root, etc. and say that you are relocating and looking for work in Aus? You may actually be able to line up interviews or even a job before going out there.

I am actually looking ideally to relocate to N.I. and work there as a solicitor. Any tips on how to go about that as a 20 months PQE?