British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Working Abroad by Profession (https://britishexpats.com/forum/working-abroad-profession-73/)
-   -   Looking for work - but which country? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/working-abroad-profession-73/looking-work-but-country-917504/)

emasonhome Sep 20th 2018 11:47 am

Looking for work - but which country?

Hi,

My husband and I are looking for professional work opportunities and are considering a number of different countries as options (Australia, Singapore, Cayman Islands, Taiwan, Philippines, Hong Kong, Mexico, Thailand, Malaysia, South Korea, Indonesia, China, Vietnam).

We both have significant Project Management Experience in the UK Automotive industry.

Having read through a number of previous posts and guides, I'm interested to hear from anyone working in this sector, or that has migrated to any of these countries. Would love to chat about your experience, opportunities and visas to help narrow down the options (we hold UK Passports).

Thanks!

Dorothy Sep 20th 2018 11:51 am

Re: Looking for work - but which country?

What country do you qualify for a visa for?

emasonhome Sep 21st 2018 7:19 am

Hi Dorothy,

That's one of the reasons for my post, as visas are quite complex and often have multiple options. With so many countries as possibilities it's taking me a while to work through the detail, hence I was hoping to hear from someone that had already taken the step in a similar career/country to hear how they found the process.

Have you any personal experience that you would be willing to share?

Dorothy Sep 21st 2018 8:27 am

I live in Australia and have for 12 years. I can only speak for Australia as far as immigration is concerned. The place to start if you wish to immigrate here is www.immi.gov.au There are wizards to see whether you might qualify for anything.

emasonhome Sep 21st 2018 8:39 am

Thanks for your help. I'll take a look.

Based on the brief research I have done so far on Australia, it looks like we both have skills on the STSOL list and may therefore qualify for a Temporary Skills Shortage Visa. I'm not immediately certain whether this would allow both of us to migrate though, or whether we would both need to qualify independently for the visa.

How are you finding Australia? I presume you are enjoying it as you are still there after 12 years?

Have you found many differences between working in Australia compared to the UK?

teza Sep 21st 2018 11:32 am

I’m pretty sure you can remove Australia from your list since automotive industry has moved abroad leaving thousands in the industry unemployed, even if you could find a visa to suit you. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s one of the hardest hit industries in Australia in past few years � ����

Pollyana Sep 22nd 2018 1:47 am

Originally Posted by emasonhome (Post 12566001)
Thanks for your help. I'll take a look.

Based on the brief research I have done so far on Australia, it looks like we both have skills on the STSOL list and may therefore qualify for a Temporary Skills Shortage Visa. I'm not immediately certain whether this would allow both of us to migrate though, or whether we would both need to qualify independently for the visa.

How are you finding Australia? I presume you are enjoying it as you are still there after 12 years?

Have you found many differences between working in Australia compared to the UK?

Bearing in mind Teza's warning that just because a job is on the list, that doesn't mean it has lots of vacancies.......
A job n the STSOL would require one of you to find a sponsor. The other then comes as a dependent spouse, with full working rights. You do't each need a sponsor/

And don't be fooled be time spent here. Dorothy can (and I'm sure wlll) seak for herself, but the thing with migration is that once you have moved it is not always that easy to go back. Giving up a good job and home, possibly buying on the other side of the world, marrying, having kids, it all creates ties in the new country and makes going back more complex.
I've been here 1 years. If it wasn't for the fact that my job pays well, and I have no assets to sell to set me up again i the UK, I would go home tis afternoon. But I'm too old to get a reasonable job back home so I am stuck here until I retire or die

Dorothy Sep 22nd 2018 3:55 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 12566314)
Bearing in mind Teza's warning that just because a job is on the list, that doesn't mean it has lots of vacancies.......
A job n the STSOL would require one of you to find a sponsor. The other then comes as a dependent spouse, with full working rights. You do't each need a sponsor/

And don't be fooled be time spent here. Dorothy can (and I'm sure wlll) seak for herself, but the thing with migration is that once you have moved it is not always that easy to go back. Giving up a good job and home, possibly buying on the other side of the world, marrying, having kids, it all creates ties in the new country and makes going back more complex.
I've been here 1 years. If it wasn't for the fact that my job pays well, and I have no assets to sell to set me up again i the UK, I would go home tis afternoon. But I'm too old to get a reasonable job back home so I am stuck here until I retire or die

We're going back (again) to Canada for my partner to write his trade equivalency test which can only be written there. Once he's passed it's on to the :fingerscrossed: job offer from the company he spoke to last time we were there. They said they were keen, but at our age we're not willing to go unless he has a job to go to that will pay a reasonable salary. I can work anywhere in the world if I'm willing to work from home and give up the social aspect of my job. I have built a pretty reasonable cake business here as a side thing to my regular full time job and I will be giving that up as well. Thankfully my photos on Facebook and recommendations will travel.

We will be leaving behind a combined total of 7 children, 7 grandchildren, well paying jobs, the house I saved and scrimped for after my divorce and pretty much everything we have here. It's risky to go back home, as after all these years my friends and family have moved on with their lives and I'm sure I've changed. It's not going to be a case of slotting right back into old lives.

Me? I would never uproot my entire life to move to another country if my visa situation was temporary. And especially if it were dependent on my spouse's visa. It's just too risky for my liking. Lose your job? 60 days to find another sponsor or get our. Separate from your spouse (main visa holder)? Find a way to stay on your own steam or get out. Jobs are not as easy to come by on a temp visa - especially in government. 100% of our job ads say priority is given to citizens and permanent residents.

emasonhome Sep 24th 2018 3:39 pm

Thank you so much for your honesty. You’ve each given me lots of food for thought.