Reload this Page >

Income requirement in the UK

Income requirement in the UK

Old Jan 16th 2017, 7:05 am
Just Joined

Rebelchick is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Income requirement in the UK

Originally Posted by mikelincs
It will all depend on the job and whether it meets the government criteria for being able to sponsor someone, I suspect your prospective employer doesn't know anything about the requirements. I certainly would suspect that nanny will not come under those criteria.
BIP should be along at some time to give you definitive advice.
I can't see why not? It's a paid job. Thanks for the replies, btw. Every little bit of info helps.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 7:57 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rebelchick
I can't see why not? It's a paid job. Thanks for the replies, btw. Every little bit of info helps.
Just because its a paid job doesn't mean it qualifies for the employer to be able to sponsor you. Otherwise employers could pay a minimum wage to several people and just keep bringing people into the country on subsistence wages. The employer has to meet certain criteria to be approved as a sponsor and then you will probably have to meet other criteria to be eligible to be sponsored. The UK is not an easy country to migrate to, contrary to many people's beliefs.

The Australian case you mention was if I recall correctly a Spouse Visa applicanr which as someone else has pointed out has totally different rules. They were eventually able to stay because in the time it took for the appeal they were able to meet the necessary financial criteria.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 8:09 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Unless I'm mistaken you wish to work in the UK as an au pair and you only hold a US passport. I won't go over what's already been discussed but unless you are eligible for a British, Irish or other EU/EEA passport then I'm afraid it's not a possibility. Your employer would need to be on a Tier 2/Tier 5 Register of Sponsors and he or she would need to demonstrate that no other UK resident could be found to fill the position or the job would need to appear on the Shortage Occupation List (which it doesn't).
Old Jan 16th 2017, 9:18 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Just because its a paid job doesn't mean it qualifies for the employer to be able to sponsor you. Otherwise employers could pay a minimum wage to several people and just keep bringing people into the country on subsistence wages. The employer has to meet certain criteria to be approved as a sponsor and then you will probably have to meet other criteria to be eligible to be sponsored. The UK is not an easy country to migrate to, contrary to many people's beliefs.

The Australian case you mention was if I recall correctly a Spouse Visa applicanr which as someone else has pointed out has totally different rules. They were eventually able to stay because in the time it took for the appeal they were able to meet the necessary financial criteria.
Ah, I see. That makes sense. Thanks for the info
Old Jan 16th 2017, 9:19 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Unless I'm mistaken you wish to work in the UK as an au pair and you only hold a US passport. I won't go over what's already been discussed but unless you are eligible for a British, Irish or other EU/EEA passport then I'm afraid it's not a possibility. Your employer would need to be on a Tier 2/Tier 5 Register of Sponsors and he or she would need to demonstrate that no other UK resident could be found to fill the position or the job would need to appear on the Shortage Occupation List (which it doesn't).
Ah okay, well thank you for your help
Old Jan 16th 2017, 12:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
The employer is asking about salary because he has, probably heard either that a)British citizens bringing non EU spouses into the UK need to earn a minimum salary of 18,600 GBP per annum OR there is a minimum limit for those needing work visas.

In your case you need to qualify for a work visa. That is usually the Tier 2 General visa and there are very specific salary and job specifications to qualify. The applicant needs to be earning 25K or above.

https://www.gov.uk/tier-2-general/overview

It is also the employer who applies for the visa and they have to be a "sponsoring employer"

It is unlikely that a live in nanny would qualify for such a visa.
Assuming that the prospective employer knows little or nothing about visas and immigration rules, I suspect that he saw this information which got a little publicity in the British media in the spring of last year. (Yes, I know it's not relevant in the slightest to Rebelchick's question/ situation.)

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 16th 2017 at 12:38 pm.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 2:53 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you I just don't understand how he would not be a sponsoring employer if he was paying me a salary and paying for my Visa and that.
If you had read the information in the Tier 2 link I sent you, you would have seen how an employer is qualified as a "sponsoring employer".
Old Jan 16th 2017, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Not all jobs qualify for visas. Live in nannies certainly does not.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 10:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
If you had read the information in the Tier 2 link I sent you, you would have seen how an employer is qualified as a "sponsoring employer".
To be honest I am having to read and write all of this in secret as I'm trying to escape a domestic violence situation where I'm at so I have to be careful what I open up on the computer and when. I will read it when I'm able. I am literally escaping and England is one place he would not look for me.
Old Jan 16th 2017, 11:32 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

To be honest I am having to read and write all of this in secret as I'm trying to escape a domestic violence situation where I'm at so I have to be careful what I open up on the computer and when. I will read it when I'm able. I am literally escaping and England is one place he would not look for me.
If all you are looking to do is get away from home for a while then there are far easier and faster ways to do that than a move to Britain. Britain has some of the strictest and most expensive immigration procedures on Earth.

If you have a degree then teaching English or possibly even au pairing in mainland Europe, South America or Asia is one possiblity.

Good luck with everything. I hope it works out for you.
Old Jan 17th 2017, 12:35 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
If all you are looking to do is get away from home for a while then there are far easier and faster ways to do that than a move to Britain. Britain has some of the strictest and most expensive immigration procedures on Earth.

If you have a degree then teaching English or possibly even au pairing in mainland Europe, South America or Asia is one possiblity.

Good luck with everything. I hope it works out for you.
Thank you. I will find a way. If not there, somewhere else where he can't find me. I am leaving him soon. I've always wanted to move to the UK as I do have some family there but that would be where he looked, with my British cousins.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:26 pm
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you. I will find a way. If not there, somewhere else where he can't find me. I am leaving him soon. I've always wanted to move to the UK as I do have some family there but that would be where he looked, with my British cousins.
I totally understand but unfortunately you have chosen one of the most difficult destinations to which to immigrate in the world.

Maybe look at opportunities in Ireland. They have slightly more relaxed processes compared with the UK and in some cases, Ireland actively recruits newcomers from other Anglophone countries like Oz and New Zealand do.
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

vikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond reputevikingsail has a reputation beyond repute

How about consider teaching English as a foreign language?
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by vikingsail
How about consider teaching English as a foreign language?
I'd be perfectly happy with that but I would need a sponsor wouldn't I? Where would I find a gig like that?
Old Jan 19th 2017, 11:59 pm
Sidecar Falcon

I'd be perfectly happy with that but I would need a sponsor wouldn't I? Where would I find a gig like that?
Do you have a degree? It's a requirement for most of the Asian countries and pretty much all of Europe.

The Chinese and a couple of others occasionally hire TEFL teachers without them but they might want a teaching certificate or some experience instead.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.